What's up with Korean SS4 AES?

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
The Korean SS4 AES version is pretty modified and censored, which is all well and good. But does anyone know why this particular Korean cart seems to be relatively common these days? I think for US AES shelf queens like myself, the Korean version is a decent stand in as the packaging is identical to the US version other than the "made in Korea" on the cart. And so because of that this version seems to have come out of the woodwork over the past few years.

Does anyone know why SS4 in particular? What about Korean oh SS3? Did say Last Soldier get a Korean AES release?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
maybe old foreign collectors dying off or getting out of the hobby.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I don't know about AES but I have a Korean KoF '98 MVS cart that is pretty censored.
I didn't think it would bother me but it does and I never play it because of that.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
The Korean SS4 AES version is pretty modified and censored, which is all well and good.

Eh, I think that the term "well & good" when it comes to neutered/censord game content is subjective.

Does anyone know why this particular Korean cart seems to be relatively common these days?

I have been out of the scene for a while but the Korean version was never rare, it's just that the euro copies of SS4 were always a bit uncommon & therefore would fetch a better price. As a result the Korean version was viewed as a suitible replacement for CERTAIN types of buyers because, as you noted:

I think for US AES shelf queens like myself, the Korean version is a decent stand in as the packaging is identical to the US version other than the "made in Korea" on the cart.

skall22300

n00b
I m pretty surprised that korean versions of games are censored (esp after living a few years in Seoul)...

HellioN

20 Year Member
It was pretty common not that long ago.
My KOF 98 cart has no bounce and all the Japanese voices removed.
I don't think they do it anymore.

skall22300

n00b
I see - I don't even remember having seen a lot of time of AES catridges (and even korean 3DO games but plenty of PC ones...) in the mid-late 2000 in one of the main spot in Seoul for retro gaming i.e. Yongsan but nvmd it s good to know!

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
It was pretty common not that long ago.
My KOF 98 cart has no bounce and all the Japanese voices removed.
I don't think they do it anymore.

Is this an AES cart? My main question is, did they release Korean versions of games besides SS4? SS4 is the only Korean AES game I've ever seen.

EDIT: ah missed your earlier comment. So it's an MVS cart.

Eh, I think that the term "well & good" when it comes to neutered/censord game content is subjective.

I just meant it's understood. Where as at least to me, the other aspects of Korean carts are a mystery.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Is this an AES cart? My main question is, did they release Korean versions of games besides SS4? SS4 is the only Korean AES game I've ever seen.

I just meant it's understood. Where as at least to me, the other aspects of Korean carts are a mystery.
No it's an MVS cart.
It was kinda common back when. Thy used to be easy to identify by the white shell.
I only mentioned it because you had posted about Korean version of NEO•GEO games being censored.