"WHERE IS MY THREAD?!" -- A FAQ on why your sales thread isn't showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aria

Former Moderator
So you've posted a sales thread and it either disappeared or you can't see it anymore.

What happened?

Answer for 99.9% of issues: Your official post count (listed by your posts) is so low that the forum has automatically flagged your thread as potential spam. They get put into a queue. On a fairly regular schedule, we clear the queue --however sometimes they are trapped forever and eventually deleted (especially if they were the first post, thus the main post of a sales thread). We've tried a lot of tactics to fix these "stuck" threads, but often times we cannot. If an Admin/Moderator replies to such a thread, their post appears as the first post when a person clicks on the thread, hence the occasional mysterious thread where only the second post appears.

Sales threads in particular seem to get the system's attention, probably because they share words that often appear in spam threads.

How do I avoid this problem?

Post more. Please keep in mind that certain sub-forums do not count towards your official post count (which is what the system is looking at). The forums that do not count are: all the Market Forums, Suggestions, The War Room, and Gatherings. If you post in other sub-forums, you will build a post-count. What is the minimum post count? Honestly, we're not sure. But you certainly don't need a thousand or anything.

Incidentally, our forum trading rules encourage people to have more posts before trading in these forums, and having a lower post count is reason to be barred from trading depending on the circumstances and moderation/administrator discretion.

Should I just start posting quickly?

That depends: Don't try post-count spamming, forum members do notice and get very angry. If you want to jump-start your posting in the qualifying forums, please make sure you've got quality to match the quantity. And who knows --you might make some friends ;)

I already have a very good trader rating here and/or on [other forum/eBay/Yahoo/NYSE(?)], can't I get some kind of clearance or waiver?

Trust me: we'd like to be able to automatically clear some of the more solid sellers and market participants (e.g. those with trader ratings much higher than their actual post counts), but every attempt to make that designation still hasn't appeased whatever mysterious reasons the system has for flagging posts. The only known cure is posting moarrrr.

Will you change this policy?

No. This ten year old forum is first and foremost a social forum, and one that happens to have a market. Incidentally, the market came later in the life of the forum. We don't hate the market, but our primary interests are (1) preventing real spammers and (2) fostering a market for the benefit of active members. With that said, we welcome your business and transactions, and hope our total lack of fees and advertising as well as a good audience make up for the requirements.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

aria

Former Moderator
I just realized this morning, thanks to a PM, that I'd forgot to post this here. Perhaps I figured people in this forum know a bit more about the rules. Meh. CYA FTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.