Which Console has the strongest library of all time?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
If I can’t vote for the neogeo or ngpc systems in this thread, then I’ll have to go with the original backwards compatible 60gig ps3 and the psp.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
PC Engine library is just sooooo vast with so much quality. Enough for a lifetime.

But I also agree with the PS2 as a heavy contender. The library is insane.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Super Nintendo has the strongest library in terms of the sheer number of excellent games. It doesn't win in terms of good to bad ratio but so what. Also, I don't think you should count re-released games or straight ports in this reckoning. Sega Mega Drive is number 2 for me but I've barely scratched the surface of PCE or a number of other systems. In terms of modern systems, the Wii has the best library, all things considered. You can keep your Playstations and X-Boxes.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
In terms of modern systems, the Wii has the best library, all things considered. You can keep your Playstations and X-Boxes.
:-J

If I can’t vote for the neogeo or ngpc systems in this thread, then I’ll have to go with the original backwards compatible 60gig ps3 and the psp.
If you're going with backward compatibility for the PS3, shouldn't the Vita be picked for the same reason?

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
NGPC: You'll be hard pressed to find more than 1-2 games not worthy of playing.
SNES: Mix of RPG and platformers.
PS2

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I’m still amazed at how many games exist for the PS2. I imagine there’s gotta be tons of hidden gems in there.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
:-J

If you're going with backward compatibility for the PS3, shouldn't the Vita be picked for the same reason?

Sup Yoshi, I guess I wasn’t considering the ability to hack the vita and run iso’s I suppose. Out of the box a lot of my favorite psp games are not available on the vita via psn store; Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII not being available comes to mind.

...Though if we’re going to go the hacked console with emulator route, a hacked xbox, vita etc can run all the retro libraries, no?

Last edited:

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Sup Yoshi, I guess I wasn’t considering the ability to hack the vita and run iso’s I suppose. Out of the box a lot of my favorite psp games are not available on the vita via psn store; Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII not being available comes to mind.

...Though if we’re going to go the hacked console with emulator route, a hacked xbox, vita etc can run all the retro libraries, no?
Ah, good point. It's been so long since I'd thought about it that I forgot not all PSP games were available digitally. Loosely related, this reminded me how irritating it was that some PSone games were briefly compatible with Vita and then yanked. As I recall Crash Team Racing was one such game.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Just to be clear here, I'm talking English console libraries.

That's still not quite clear... what do you mean by "English"? Released in the west? Released with the full or a partial support of english language? Do so called 'english friendly' games, like STGs, count? And what do you mean by "good games"? Something that was considered good on the time of their release? Games that stood the test of time, even today? Critics, personal choices or a consensus of both? It would be good to have some tighter coordinates.

Anyway, since you ruled out the Neo, the Mega Drive it is.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
That's still not quite clear... what do you mean by "English"? Released in the west? Released with the full or a partial support of english language? Do so called 'english friendly' games, like STGs, count? And what do you mean by "good games"? Something that was considered good on the time of their release? Games that stood the test of time, even today? Critics, personal choices or a consensus of both? It would be good to have some tighter coordinates.

Anyway, since you ruled out the Neo, the Mega Drive it is.

NTSC-USA

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Ps2 nailed it back then....sooo many awesome games!
That said, the SNES, PCE will always be #1, regardless of any percentage.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

Thanks, greedo, that's quite a tricky question then. Obviously the PCE and the SGFX don't count, only Turbo Grafx/Turbo Duo releases and a lot of top titles like Rondo didn't make it.

Hmm... most of the PS1 and PS2 games didn't age well, the few that did, drown in their huge libraries offering low percentages of pure quality. Unfortunately, the Genesis has a lot more releases in the US, than in Japan (700 to 400+), which puts the quality-ratio down a bit.

Still, the Genny would be my best bet. Probably half of those 700 games were decent, 200 good, over a 100 truly outstanding and about 90% of them still hold up well today.

Edit on a second thought... I'd also put my money on the ColecoVision. Only 145 titles but so many great arcade ports, close to being called arcade perfect, and all released in the US, of course. Definitely a strong contender.

Last edited:

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
Edit on a second thought... I'd also put my money on the ColecoVision. Only 145 titles but so many great arcade ports, close to being called arcade perfect, and all released in the US, of course. Definitely a strong contender.

705819.gif

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
GBA has a pretty solid lineup.
PSP, 3DS, Vita also quite solid.

Shinchan

n00b
DC all the way, high percentage of awesome games in an unfortunately relatively small library...

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Percentage is a dumb way to measure it. Who cares how many bad games a system has? Just ignore them. The existence of bad games doesn't negate the amount of good games a system has.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
My vote would probably go to ps2. Xbox original was just a glorified halo machine

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
The PS2 is probably the winner here, although I strictly base that on my own comparative experiences between consoles.

I have to say, however, that the PS4 and the Switch (my personal favorite console this gen) have the potential to eclipse the PS2's staggering selection of titles.

The DC had the highest percentage of quality releases, however. Not a metric for this question, but I have to acknowledge it.

shelcoof

New Challenger
According to your definition of the "strongest" library of games.... then it has to be the PS4 at the moment. There's a ton of games dating back from the PS1/PS2/PS3 games.

But if your asking us what our favorite console... that's one hell of a hard one to choose as each console is unique

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Slightly off-topic, but back around the time when 3D was introduced to gaming, we saw a lot of weird and unique shit, not just in terms of gameplay design, but also style and presentation. Especially on PS1. Shit like Incredible Crisis, Twisted Metal, Jumping Flash, Panzer Dragoon, Poy Poy, Parappa, Bushido Blade, Future Cop LAPD, Ghost in the Shell, Die Hard Trilogy, Trap Gunner / Silent Bomber ...etc etc.

Many of these may not have aged well, and some grew into new genres, like King's Field, Mario 64, and RE (which I'm aware was not the first of its type), but I kind of miss the variety and uniqueness these games offered at the time.

We may still be getting few games like these now and then, but I feel they are getting less and less each generation. Besides, the barrier between genres is dissolving little by little (ie: same camera schemes, same controls, open world maps ... etc). With that said, I'm still playing and enjoying new games.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I wouldn't pick a Nintendo system even though you excluded us from picking it. And why is the Neo Geo excluded? In my opinion it's a very singular focused console.

That being said as much as I want to say the PS2, many of my favorite games are ports, so not including that I would actually have to say the 360 has the strongest library of all time. It just has an obscene amount of variety not to mention some of the greatest 3D games ever made.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
I always found it interesting the CPS2 is pretty much at 100% on good games. Like maybe Eco Fighters and Capcom Sports Club are only pretty good?

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
Best library is a tossup between Dreamcast and PS2. Both systems had strong lineups and did very interesting things. If percentage of good games is the tiebreaker then Dreamcast wins easily. That library is a small, gem filled treasure chest.