Which game in the Real Bout series is the best???

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
Which game in the Real Bout Series do you consider the best?

A) Real Bout Fatal Fury
B) Real Bout Special
C) Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers

With your pick, explain why.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Real Bout Fatal Fury

My reason:

rbff1-ringout2.png

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Really difficult to say. I have so much nostalgia for the original, and the ring out system was at least an interesting way of changing things up and keeping up with the times. Yet, the next two offered incremental updates and changed the system.

Real Bout Fatal Fury
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
71c9a2a470366e982f92d6a0db4b2d78e2dc7a10.jpg

From a competitive viewpoint, it’s Real Bout 2 all day.

In terms of presentation and fun factor, Real Bout Special tends to edge out the competition...

...with that said, the other Real Bout entries: Real Bout 1, Real Bout Special: Dominated Mind, First Contact, and Nettou Real Bout Special, all switch up the formula due to hardware differences w/ added characters (Iori, Alfred, Lao, White), or just feel incomplete compared to Real Bout Special and Real Bout 2 from a moveset and or fighting mechanic perspective imho.

Last edited:

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
I like Special alot, but I'm sticking with Real Bout 2 because of the cool intro(yeah right). Oh yeah i loved my copy of Dominated Mind when I had a PS1.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Real Bout 2 for the characters and gameplay and it gets straight to the point. Id say its the best FF game if you don't count garou.

I think RBS comes 2nd and Real bout comes dead last way too many plane switching for my taste.

Last edited:

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
RBS versus RB2 is a hell of a tough choice.

When I purged my collection and only kept / rebought essential titles, I generally only kept 1 title from each fighting series. I ended up getting both RBS & 2 back, because they're both great and have enough distinct between them.

RB1 does nothing for me (tho it was a nice jump forward for the time.)

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
71c9a2a470366e982f92d6a0db4b2d78e2dc7a10.jpg

From a competitive viewpoint, it’s Real Bout 2 all day.

In terms of presentation and fun factor, Real Bout Special tends to edge out the competition...

...with that said, the other Real Bout entries: Real Bout 1, Real Bout Special: Dominated Mind, First Contact, and Nettou Real Bout Special, all switch up the formula due to hardware differences w/ added characters (Iori, Alfred, Lao, White), or just feel incomplete compared to Real Bout Special and Real Bout 2 from a moveset and or fighting mechanic perspective imho.
Man I love that Shinkiro art

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I used to be in the rb2 camp, but rbffs is more fun vs. That being said, I can play rb2 all day. Xiang fei is a blast and rick strowd is a beast. I love how crazy the range is on franco, yamazaki, and krauser.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
RBS all the way. The combo system is crazy flexible, the push/pull line-sway combos are loads of fun, the special moves are bombastic (Joe has 3 tornados, Mai has that nutty multi-hit rekka, etc.) and many are unique to this game, you have two dedicated fighting planes (which I prefer), and the presentation is top notch. Oh, and RBS has the best announcer in fighting game history.

RB2 is fine, good even - but it was rushed. Developed in 4 months. I'm personally not a fan of the sweeping changes they made to characters' move sets, especially Kim, Terry, and Mai. There also isn't a lot of personality in the game - no special intros, no after fight quotes, and only one win pose per character. To me, it always felt like SNK took RBS, sucked all the fun out of it, threw in some FMV intros, and called it a day. :) Rick's pretty cool, though.

I like the original RB quite a bit over RB2 - hard to go back and play FF3 after you get used to Real Bout.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
That’s a great blog post that you linked, thanks!

Lol @ debug mode being left in.

Maybe my Rick S lobbying efforts are misguided; at least, he made it into a game as a playable character.

The dude he pops in the Rick version of the FMV intro, and the two guys facing off in the Street Fighter II opening...man-they would’ve been great to see in SvC.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
That’s a great blog post that you linked, thanks!

Lol @ debug mode being left in.

Maybe my Rick S lobbying efforts are misguided; at least, he made it into a game as a playable character.

The dude he pops in the Rick version of the FMV intro, and the two guys facing off in the Street Fighter II opening...man-they would’ve been great to see in SvC.
Sup wataru330, Lao would have been hilarious as a playable fighter against Dan in SvC lol

He was playable in Fatal Fury First Contact on ngpc so he already had a sprite and moveset to include in SVC: MotM, at least.
6DF_utYR4SS3hgLl7oxNeJDy5ACSKtkmhVHE8MR9AaW6ERS5zgslSu-yVLJJGnDL4WciOTBxLh6Kgk4LwC3sEFxHWDCf2NkVwkiXTIX9ALasvqxQ4m6uDjw1hslhRX5ZrCZDYvt9srTihOkcjw

1stcontact-lao.png

SNK never forgot him and kept putting him in the Fatal Fury games as they moved forward:
RB2
lao-vs-rick.png

Garou

bjenet-entrance.gif

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
What’s good, BlackaneseNiNjA?

Your posts are much appreciated! I love that after all this time, I can still learn new-to-me bits about these great games and characters.

*scrambles to find a copy of FFFC*

Cheers, mang.

Sup wataru330, Lao would have been hilarious as a playable fighter against Dan in SvC lol

He was playable in Fatal Fury First Contact on ngpc so he already had a sprite and moveset to include in SVC: MotM, at least.
6DF_utYR4SS3hgLl7oxNeJDy5ACSKtkmhVHE8MR9AaW6ERS5zgslSu-yVLJJGnDL4WciOTBxLh6Kgk4LwC3sEFxHWDCf2NkVwkiXTIX9ALasvqxQ4m6uDjw1hslhRX5ZrCZDYvt9srTihOkcjw

1stcontact-lao.png

SNK never forgot him and kept putting him in the Fatal Fury games as they moved forward:
RB2
lao-vs-rick.png

Garou

bjenet-entrance.gif

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
RB2. Xiangfei is one of my favorite FF characters and it plays the best.

I think RBS has better stages though, and I wish RB2 had more after-fight dialogue and better endings.