Which KOF's are worth checking out?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I've always preferred '97.

my favourite one, and possibly one of my favourite games of all time.
besides being the kof with the smoothest controls and with some of the best move sets for the characters in the franchise,97 just has an atmosphere and a charm that i love and find very nostalgic.

I always loved the style of 96-98.

It was very Japanese in design without pandering to the usual Otaku tropes which is prevalent in fighting games today.

Even the music during that era was amazing. Arashi no Saxaphone 2 (OST) is still my favourite KOF track.

i agree, the orochi saga era of games will always be my favourite in the series.

and i listen to arashi no saxaphone almost every week.

i love the fact that snk games go so well with jazz ;). snk,the classy jazz lounge of the of the video game industry.

Phexe

Quiz Detective
I'd recommend;

KOF '97 for the Story [Single Player] (And my personal favourite) (Failing that KOF '96 has a pretty good story too)
KOF '98/02 for the Roster [Multi Player]
KOF '99 just for the Rain Stage :drool:
KOF 2000 for the vast amount of Cameos and Hidden stuff

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Kof 2000 is my personal favourite.

good choice.probably the kof game with the best presentation.from the intro to the character select screen to the gorgeous backgrounds.

not to mention the great roster of characters and sub characters to choose from.

All the people really prefer KOF 98 but, for me, its between KOF 97 and 2000.

97 is also my favourite.it has a charm to it and plays smoother then 98 imo.but have to say that 98 is over all the better game.

FUUMA

Marked Wolf
KOF 99, play it loud, music is awesome and immersive. KOF 99 evo on dreamcast is just as good if not better than the original. After that play 2002 Or 2002 um for ps2,(maybe on 360 and PS3 also) or better yet ,,KOF 98um for ps2 is also a gem

Phexe

Quiz Detective
Honestly what I love about the KOF's is the differences between them every year. Which as I've been told is a negative for 09'ers (People that started playing fighting games with SF4).

I love how KOF99 Robert is really different from KOF98 Robert etc. Makes every KOF on the Neo worth playing, along with the story. Which is why over the years I've gradually fallen out of love with the Street Fighter Series (ever since the TERRIBLE Zero3/Alpha3 which directly comes after my Personal Favourite Alpha2/Zero2Alpha) and become a massive fan of Fatal Fury/Art of Fighting/KOF.

Last edited:

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Aside from the Neo-Cart or the DC port. Is it better to get the Orochi Wii collection, the VC version, or the XBLA '98 remake?

360 98UM has only the OST and most of the win quotes aren't translated, the US PS2 has the AST but amazingly still has the standard SNK blood/bounce censoring (which blew my mind).

The Wii collections on disc have worse emulation than compared to the VC releases but are a fraction of the price. All the SNK collections aimed at the US market were handled by Terminal Reality and their inexperience shows, especially on those shit PSP ports that aren't half as good has homebrew emulators.

While I've had the PS2/PSP versions for ages I recently picked up Wii Samurai Shodown Anthology to play on my Wii U. I always did enjoy 6 and even though it looks a bit ass on this TV it still beats playing the PS2 version on my CRT upstairs.

Last edited:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I did acquire KOF 98 for DC, one disappointment... can't use the thumbstick. Will play it a bit more, and bring it down to my family for x-mas (Though if I get Power Stone before then, that, chu chu rocket, and bomberman might overshadow KOF).

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Lucky dip and see how you get on. Personal faves are 94 (the start), 95 (the grittiness), 98 (the all rounder).

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
On the Neo Geo, anything from 94 to 2K is a work of excelence.

Outside that go for KOF XI onwards.
I'd say NeoWave is OK as long as you don't care for the ugly ass artwork and poor music.
Other than that, it has 3 gameplay styles that makes a lot to learn. Just Defend on a KOF game? Sweet! ;)

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I did acquire KOF 98 for DC, one disappointment... can't use the thumbstick.

Why would you want to use an analog stick for a fighter? Not to mention, why would you want to use the DC controller for, well, anything?

As for KOFs... KOF98 gameplay wise is the best. But it's a drab single player game. KOF94 through 97 are more fun for casual, single player play for various reasons.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Why would you want to use an analog stick for a fighter? Not to mention, why would you want to use the DC controller for, well, anything?

I may add - Why would he play that garbage version of the game?
Some combos aren't even executable on that version. It's crazy.
The 3D backgrounds don't do any good either.

It's only saved by its excellent anime intro. It kicks ass. :buttrock:

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Some combos aren't even executable on that version. It's crazy.

i did not know this.kind of shit news because i love the dc version of 98 and did not notice any thing different in the way it played.they could of easily ported the game arcade perfect to the dreamcast. will research more into this.

KOF '99 is an absolute classic and introduces K' to the series. Cool cover on the Neo-Geo AES release too.

Phexe

Quiz Detective
KOF '99 is an absolute classic and introduces K' to the series. Cool cover on the Neo-Geo AES release too.

I always really liked KOF99, despite its bad reputation from people.

I loved how the Orochi saga was very ancient and classical where as the NESTs saga was technological and mechanical.

EDIT: Not only did it introduce K' but the stages and a lot of the music from KOF99 is friggin awesome!!

And the best of them all;

:D :D :D

(I posted the Arranged versions, but the original OST versions are nearly as good :D )

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I did acquire KOF 98 for DC, one disappointment... can't use the thumbstick. Will play it a bit more, and bring it down to my family for x-mas (Though if I get Power Stone before then, that, chu chu rocket, and bomberman might overshadow KOF).
Now that is just plain suicide using the stock controller for fighters on the dreamcast.It's best to have a joystick for the console or use a total control 3 adapter plus a saturn controller.

Last edited:

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
I'm trying to get into KOF '98 because I understand it's a good place to start with the series (right?), but the game seems really tough. Can't get out of the first round tough. Are there difficulty settings somewhere in the game or in Unibios? Maybe they're turned up high because it's not even close against the CPU.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I'm trying to get into KOF '98 because I understand it's a good place to start with the series (right?), but the game seems really tough. Can't get out of the first round tough. Are there difficulty settings somewhere in the game or in Unibios? Maybe they're turned up high because it's not even close against the CPU.

are you playing it on the mvs?.the aes has an option menu where you can change the difficulty.but with the mvs you need to switch on the dip switch 1 before powering the console.you would need to go on the game settings by selecting the soft dip option, and adjust the difficulty from 1 to 8.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Now that is just plain suicide using the stock controller for fighters on the dreamcast.It's best to have a joystick for the console or use a total control 3 adapter plus a saturn controller.
I'm well aware that I am crippled when it comes to Soul Calibur, I can't play that game with anything but the Dreamcast controller.

But the control 3 adapter seems like a cool idea, I could then get 2 virtua sticks and share them between DC and Saturn games.

blakfishy

n00b
I got 98 and I like it but I honestly feel it has too many characters for just playing it sometimes. Prefer the older ones to play in regards to that.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I got 98 and I like it but I honestly feel it has too many characters for just playing it sometimes. Prefer the older ones to play in regards to that.

about half post per month since registered.
bashes 98...

ban please.

Ip Man

15 Year Member

does the amount of characters really matter?.just pick the ones you like and master them.