Which Metallica album is the best?

Which Metallica album is the best?

• Total voters

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'm not much of a metal fan, but I like the Black album. King Nothing is my fave song.

I don't understand how Metallica was so big in the early days (80s). They weren't on the radio, there was no Internet for people to discover them, yet you saw kids in Jr. High and H.S. wearing shirts.

Remember Metal up your ass? :keke:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I disagree. They were their best during the period between the black album and Load.
I'd say 1992/1993

Just because you make the most on the records from this period doesn’t mean you’re correct.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Just because you make the most on the records from this period doesn’t mean you’re correct.

They didn't make any albums between the black album and load.

Most of my reasoning comes from my old days of being in a Metallica bootleg ripping/distribution ring and listening to countless hours of Metallica bootlegs.

I do have an original copy of the Black Album that I've had for 20 years. Paid $20 for it.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Right. I wasn't trying to start an argument, only a discussion. I was curious because that's the timeframe that they fell off for me in a huge way. .

I wasn't looking to start an argument either. If I could choose a time to watch them, I would choose 86. I just think they were a bit better in 92 or so.

James Yeahfield

This sums it up beautifully:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I forgot there are fans who when they think of Metallica, they think of the Black album.

But this is basically any local rock radio station... :/

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
It was between puppets and justice for me but the shitty production and lack of bass on justice really brings it down. Both Kill em all and Lightning are great as well but I much prefer their next two albums. Black album was good too but there were songs i didn't care for as much. Even more with load and reload, a few good songs but even more bad ones or ones i didn't care much for. Last two albums I listened to was st. anger and death magnetic. I stopped following them after.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
RTL, MoP, and AJFA are clearly their golden era. The problem with RtL is that it has Escape and Trapped Under Ice, which are both weak songs. AJFA is an awesome album, but as tacofag alluded to, the album was engineered like shit because the band clearly felt that hazing Jason Newsted was more important than getting the sound right. MoP sounds awesome and its weakest song (Leper Messiah) is still way better than the two weaklings on RtL. Even though I don't agree with it, I respect SonGohan's opinion about Kill 'em All. It's got some awesome tracks on it, but it's an unpolished first album so to me it's not in the conversation. And as much of a Metallica-bashing trope as it is, the band really did sell out with the Black Album. Just watch "A Year and a Half..." and Lars talks about how they were trying to write an "arena rock" album. They made an intentional pivot towards radio-friendly music, so what else do you call it? There are of course good songs on it, as there are on Load, Re-, and S&M, but at some point I just lost interest in the band

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
james-hetfield-james-hetfield-30177641-500-500.jpg

I fell in love with Metallica when they were raw af with James spitting while throwing his wild mane around. They were unbeatable live.
Even now, I never miss an opportunity to see them live but their age is showing unfortunately. They were at their best when they were underdogs.
And although the flame has died, I will forever love them for those first 5 albums (Black included).

Surprised by so little love for RTL. Fade To Black, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Creeping Death, Ride The Lightning and Call Of Ktulu are all incredible....

True, but we had to pick one.
KEA
MOP
RTL
JFA
All freaking awesome.

Last edited:

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Puppets is the best metal album ever. My favorite to listen to is Kill 'Em All. Their entire output in the 80's was gold.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
I've always been partial to rtl, even though there are songs that are weaker on there. I think it's a nostalgia thing.

Anyway, I'm curious how people think about St Anger currently. Does anybody not feel weird about it?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
First time I ever heard Metallica was at my friends house in the mid or early 90s I think. He was showing me Doom (also for the first time) and then put on Four Horseman on in the background. The first few Metallica albums were pretty much our soundtrack to our Doom sessions. Never really heard anything like Metallica before or played anything like Doom before - pretty awesome experience.

Spit Out the Bone is a great song too.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I like the Black Album. And Sound of White Noise and Countdown to Extinction. All of those albums were successful transitions for the musicians involved. The older I get, the less that I'm moved by Thrash.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Anyway, I'm curious how people think about St Anger currently. Does anybody not feel weird about it?

St. Anger is fucking terrible. I'll listen to Load and Reload before I listen to St. Anger again.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I've always been partial to rtl, even though there are songs that are weaker on there. I think it's a nostalgia thing.

Please do not speak of that album.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Load is great. I always wanted to know what James’ mama said to him when he was a little boy. Why did she not let him grow? Why did she not let his heart go???

Last edited:

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
First time I ever heard Metallica was at my friends house in the mid or early 90s I think. He was showing me Doom (also for the first time) and then put on Four Horseman on in the background. The first few Metallica albums were pretty much our soundtrack to our Doom sessions. Never really heard anything like Metallica before or played anything like Doom before - pretty awesome experience.

Spit Out the Bone is a great song too.

Have you ever noticed that, like Metallica a lot of times, Doom’s music is also lacking bass?

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Load is great. I always wanted to know what James’ mama said to him when he was a little boy. Why did she not let him grow? Why did she not let his heart go???

She should've let his heart be still. That bitch.
And st anger is what it feels like to be raped by big black bouncers while you're watching somebody take a shit in front of you while you're sucking up 3 week old barf from your dead dog who is rotting next to you.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Why is S&M on there but not Live Shit Binge & Purge or Garage Inc?

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I like Load/ReLoad...I actually like them a lot...

I dig the weird mood of those two albums now, bleak, introspective, depressing... The House Jack Built, Until it Sleeps, Bleeding Me, Outlaw Torn...they're pretty dark, unique songs in their library, I appreciate the different direction on those records...

Lets never speak of Lulu though.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I like all of they're albums up to black, i kinda lost interest after that, gotta say though, there's not one album from the first 5 that i can listen to all the way through, some filler on them for me that i gotta skip.
Slayer on the other hand......
The cover's they do don't alway's compare well with the originals either IMO, am i evil and motorcycle man are better with diamondhead and saxon.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
It's subjective songohan, but south of heaven, reign in blood and seasons in the abyss i can listen to all the way through, without skipping track's.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I’m surprised it took this long for Slayer to get mentioned. Divine Intervention was the first album I heard from Slayer; a blind purchase when I was 12. I still love every track on that album.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
So never a big music person and went to high school in the mid 90's but had friends that were metal fans and liked early Metallica . i never like any hair metal stuff . but i did l like the black album a lot . it got me into them until death magnetic which is the last album i think i heard. as i age i like the early stuff a lot more then the newer stuff .