Which System To Buy As a N00b?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
DS lite is excellent for gba, the screen is fantastic. However personally I hate the second screen hanging on. Some people have cutted them and turned it in a sort weird gameboy micro called the macro.

Apologize to Sandra for me .
It's alright, smokey, she's cool with it, gave her a good laugh.

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
Honestly, I'd go with the open source EmuELEC systems like the GameForce or something like the RG351P. They can run every single retro handheld system game you can think off flawlessly, in general can run most retro consoles and arcade systems and even harder stuff to get working like the N64, Dreamcast and even the PSP (but with various degrees of compatibility, depends on the game when it comes to these three).

Also it is highly customizable, can use Wi-Fi and plenty of other goodies. (like running fantasy consoles like the Pico-8 for example or enhanced open source ports of various games, e.g. Streets of Rage Remake or the obvious improved Doom source ports)

Price is extremely affordable and can offer way more than most people will ever need. Also it is extremely easy to setup and get going, getting AmberElec up and running is a 4 step guide, anyone with basic PC knowledge can figure it out in about 5 minutes. (there is plenty of community support regardless, if you encounter problems)

So yea, this is the least convoluted way and the most convenient one of them all imo. Offers you everything you'd want in an easy to use format on newly made hardware. Modded PSP or PS Vita are also great options.

Nothing else is really worth it if she's just getting back. If somehow she catches on and becomes more serious, maybe then get some real hardware and everdrives, otherwise, I'd say just no.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Honestly, I'd go with the open source EmuELEC systems like the GameForce or something like the RG351P. They can run every single retro handheld system game you can think off flawlessly, in general can run most retro consoles and arcade systems and even harder stuff to get working like the N64, Dreamcast and even the PSP (but with various degrees of compatibility, depends on the game when it comes to these three).

Also it is highly customizable, can use Wi-Fi and plenty of other goodies. (like running fantasy consoles like the Pico-8 for example or enhanced open source ports of various games, e.g. Streets of Rage Remake or the obvious improved Doom source ports)

Price is extremely affordable and can offer way more than most people will ever need. Also it is extremely easy to setup and get going, getting AmberElec up and running is a 4 step guide, anyone with basic PC knowledge can figure it out in about 5 minutes. (there is plenty of community support regardless, if you encounter problems)

So yea, this is the least convoluted way and the most convenient one of them all imo. Offers you everything you'd want in an easy to use format on newly made hardware. Modded PSP or PS Vita are also great options.

Nothing else is really worth it if she's just getting back. If somehow she catches on and becomes more serious, maybe then get some real hardware and everdrives, otherwise, I'd say just no.

I've moved on.

Also, dude, that GameForce. Why pay 99 dollars for something that looks like it was stolen from M's mailbox?

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The gameboy advance is a nice option and has a great library, but you would definitely want the modded ips screen. It’s a major improvement, I’m ordering parts to convert mine.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
The gameboy advance is a nice option and has a great library, but you would definitely want the modded ips screen. It’s a major improvement, I’m ordering parts to convert mine.
Can confirm this, way better

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
What about the so called GBA LT... ehr, SP?

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
I've moved on.

Also, dude, that GameForce. Why pay 99 dollars for something that looks like it was stolen from M's mailbox?
Moved on as in? I for example have a modded GBA SP and a flash cart and certainly can't move back to it. I like the convenience of devices like these, portable emulation boxes.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Moved on as in?
I pitched the RG351 devices with AmberElec (over the GBA) on the last page but Tak said they'd already eliminated those choices.

If we do want to just talk about those things for other noobs, though, that's fine. The pico-8 and portmaster stuff are cool bonuses, but not really very noob friendly. The pico 8 installations on my RG351P and Steam Deck are both obsolete because it's a hassle to manually update it every time.

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
I pitched the RG351 devices with AmberElec (over the GBA) on the last page but Tak said they'd already eliminated those choices.

If we do want to just talk about those things for other noobs, though, that's fine. The pico-8 and portmaster stuff are cool bonuses, but not really very noob friendly. The pico 8 installations on my RG351P and Steam Deck are both obsolete because it's a hassle to manually update it every time.
I see, I guess to each their own. Some stuff I guess isn't the easiest for a noob, but once configured, you very rarely have to do anything else. Most people won't care to update if it already works, but I get ya.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
What screens do you recommend? I was looking at hand held legends, not sure where i should get it from.

I've only used FunnyPlaying screens on GBAs, not in the market for new/improved - but if I were, I would definitely go with this one:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I'd also go with an ips GBA + flashcart. One thing with the GBA everdrive though, the GB/GBC games will only work through an emulator. If you want them to run natively through the GBC backward compatible mode of the GBA, you also need to purchase a GBC flashcart.
I did not know this.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I hate playing GB/GBC on a GBA, it's like playing a postage stamp.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Game Boy Color + everdrive

unreal amount of games, most are NOT good but with the huge library, there are enough good ones to make it worthy.

I don't mind the lack of a backlit screen because I usually play with lighting

if it does bother your friend, then I guess get a GBA SP AGS-101.