White Elephant Gift Ideas

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
White Elephant are traditionally gag gifts.
Secret Santas are more legit gifts.

Ymmv.

I’d wanna get clarification before showing up…make sure your bag is right, right?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It’s a white elephant.

As the thread title states.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
But truthfully while I understand the concept of the “white elephant” gift I don’t understand the origin of the name.
The term derives from the sacred white elephants kept by Southeast Asian monarchs in Burma, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia.

To possess a white elephant was regarded (and is still regarded in Thailand and Burma) as a sign that the monarch reigned with justice and power, and that the kingdom was blessed with peace and prosperity. The opulence expected of anyone who owned a beast of such stature was great.

Because the animals were considered sacred and laws protected them from labor, receiving a gift of a white elephant from a monarch was simultaneously a blessing and a curse.

It was a blessing because the animal was sacred and a sign of the monarch's favour, and a curse because the recipient now had an expensive-to-maintain animal he could not give away and could not put to much practical use.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
A crowbar.
Refuse an explanation.
Just a crowbar.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Going to a Xmas party with a stupid white elephant gift thing. Any suggestions for gifts? Budget is like $25. Participants are some friends, acquaintances, and former coworkers.

I might hit up the thrift store for some crazy shit.
You know what? Don't go. This is some frivolous shit. Bitches be trifling.