Who else has gone back to consumer crts?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I've seen signage monitors including plasmas but the analog on them didn't look that special to me. I guess I really need to see how they handle 240p to appreciate them.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
Hey, don't knock that little Commodore monitor. I've had one for years, and the image it produces is among the finest I've seen from any tube ever. Composite video looks outstanding on it, and you can buy an adapter to plug into the chroma and luma plugs on the back to use standard svideo connections. The set is small enough that I don't think RGB would be a significant improvement over the svideo anyway, and I'd put that set up against a PVM any day.

I mentioned earlier I switched to using the Samsung TV. Well, I randomly found a Sony Wega KV-27FS200 on Craigslist for $10 near me so I went and grabbed it yesterday. It's a fantastic set, and after playing Daytona USA on it I was like "yeah, the PVM is GONE." One thing that did surprise me though is how well my old Sammy compares to it in component, I thought it would be more of a difference. The Samsung might be a hair sharper, but the Trinitron blows it away in coloring and it has a great comb filter for composite sources. I really need to get a new SCART to component converter though, some of the visual defects mine has that I attributed to the old TV are actually inherent in the converter itself it seems.

Oh I'm not knocking it. I have the Turbo Duo connected via S-Video and the image is amazing. My only problem with the Commodore 1702 is that my co-worker gave it to me and it was up in his attic for years; years in the Vegas heat so I know the caps are weak and needs to be replaced because randomly, the monitor will just go black and white. I plan on recapping it because that little CRT is worth saving. I also have a 13" Toshiba that puts out an amazing display, and I use that TV for my RGB gaming via a SCART to Component adapter. I gave away all of my 25"-32"displays and just kept the 20" PVM and two 13" for retro gaming.

Capture.JPG

It's looks a lot better in person.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Try a new psu. I was ready to ditch mine and just for shits and giggles I bought a $10 universal psu and all the artifacting went away.

Deez was right! I looked it up and it called for a 7.5V 500 nah psu so I wasn't giving it with juice. I replaced the psu and it looks pretty much perfect now.

Thank Deez!

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Deez was right! I looked it up and it called for a 7.5V 500 nah psu so I wasn't giving it with juice. I replaced the psu and it looks pretty much perfect now.

Thank Deez!

No problem. They used to ship with a good psu, now they come with a shitty Chinese wall wort.

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
I've been RGB since the early 90's. Most TVs here in the UK and Europe had RGB SCART and the ability to handle a 60Hz NTSC signal. I could never go back. I've had in the past a 28" widescreen Sony flatscreen CRT with 3 SCART inputs at the rear that used to be fantastic, but due to it's size and weight gave it away for about £20 a few years back. I have now have a Sony PVM 2054QM which is much more manageable in size and has features that put it above and beyond any of the thousands of RGB consumer sets avalible dirt cheap in the UK currently. On the composite side of things PVMs have a thing called "NTSC Setup level" America tends to use 7.5 whilst Japan uses 0. When using this with a composite source like my laserdisc the correct level makes a HUGE difference to the blacks in the image.

We are also in a time where we need to future proof our equipment to the best of our abilities. Industry units like PVM and BVMs are easier to open and service than your consumer brands.

I love my baby:

image ru

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't use a PVM because I think the space between pixels makes the image look nothing like how I remember it. Instead, I use consumer CRT's with an RGB to component converter.

I also use a Framemeister for the big flat screen.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Hey, don't knock that little Commodore monitor. I've had one for years, and the image it produces is among the finest I've seen from any tube ever. Composite video looks outstanding on it, and you can buy an adapter to plug into the chroma and luma plugs on the back to use standard svideo connections.

The 1702 was my primary gaming display until I got a PVM in maybe 2008-ish. Stupidly, I sold my 1702 because I figured I didn't need it anymore, but I always kind of missed it. There's just something about playing NES or Genesis on that monitor that just feels right. A few years ago I was over at dubs' apartment and he had a 1702 that he was getting rid of. A friend of his pulled it out of a dumpster. Aside from being dirty, it was in great condition and even still had the little door for the controls that always seems to be missing. Gave it to me for nothing. I had it set up in here for a while, but now it's just sitting down in the basement. Hopefully at some point I can set it back up again.

My only problem with the Commodore 1702 is that my co-worker gave it to me and it was up in his attic for years; years in the Vegas heat so I know the caps are weak and needs to be replaced because randomly, the monitor will just go black and white.

Does it do that in both composite and s-video? Try cleaning the video selector switch in the back with some deoxit. I was having problems with mine until I did that.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I just looked through my CRT screen menu and am now using PRO for the video level. What a difference it made! Beforehand I just used vivid for my CMVS, but now no going back to that.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
But if a nice Bang & Olufsen MX8000 shows around here, I won't resist
Kinda super late, but: anyone looking into B&O sets should be aware that the MX 8000 seems to do some kind of processing to the picture which can mess up the image (as demonstrated in this video).

Could be an issue with the software Version, so not all sets are affected. Or an option (de-interlacing?) that maybe can be turned off... I might be able to tell in a few weeks.

If you want to be safe(r), go with MX4000, MX4002, MX6000, MX7000. Those should be golden.

retro

Crazed MVS Addict
We are also in a time where we need to future proof our equipment to the best of our abilities. Industry units like PVM and BVMs are easier to open and service than your consumer brands

I've found the opposite to be true, with some broadcast monitors having am insane amount of pcb's and stuff inside and sony consumer models having way less crap inside and only a few chassis types on most nodels; great to find spares for or hoard spares too. I can pick up trinitron crt's for free regularly and just bin the parts i don't want to keep.0

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've had 2 pvm's shit the bed on me and I'm down to two. I have a Sony GDM-FW900 and a Wega 27 in reserve. If all else fails I could just turn to the Framemeister.I would love to get a hold of another pvm but like many here said, the prices are ridiculous now so I'll just have to hope that my current pvm's last a long time.

nornor1

NEST Puppet
I sold my framemeister earlier this year. it is nice, I just didnt like messing with the settings all the time. I have like 10 consoles that use analog plug ins. either 7 scart and 3 Component. and it was just a hassle switching scart connectors, then loading up the presets in the menu. my Biggest thing is I like Light gun games, So got rid of it, and got a free JVC 27in crt with component inputs, and a Scart to component adapter. never going back lol.

I recently got 2 14n. PVMs off of craigs list pretty cheap. They also look awesome also. I use these when I want to play something quick near my desk. I like the bigger screen though on my JVC :).

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
If I had the room, I would do my retro gaming on a late 90s-early 2000s SD CRT with component inputs, and just use an RGB -> component encoder. I might even settle for S-video. For 240p and 480i gaming, composite to s-video is by far the biggest leap in quality.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
S-Video can be a huge treat in CRTs, but there's a lot to be said for the punch in the colors when you can go component/RGB. It's definitely worth pursuing in any CRT that's able to deal that in.

I sold my framemeister earlier this year. it is nice, I just didnt like messing with the settings all the time. I have like 10 consoles that use analog plug ins. either 7 scart and 3 Component. and it was just a hassle switching scart connectors, then loading up the presets in the menu. my Biggest thing is I like Light gun games, So got rid of it, and got a free JVC 27in crt with component inputs, and a Scart to component adapter. never going back lol.

I recently got 2 14n. PVMs off of craigs list pretty cheap. They also look awesome also. I use these when I want to play something quick near my desk. I like the bigger screen though on my JVC :).

Could you tell me which scart to component converter you use??
cheers

nornor1

NEST Puppet
Could you tell me which scart to component converter you use??
cheers

Im interested too please

this one:

https://www.amazon.com/SPECIALTY-AV-SCART-Component-Converter-Genesis/dp/B004XSSDPO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474556421&sr=8-1&keywords=scart+to+component

you also need this to breakout the audio http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCART-to-SCART-with-Passthrough-Breakout-Female-RCA-Phono-Audio-Connectors-/302067263568?hash=item46549ca850:g:Na8AAOSwdIFX0s9-

or make your own audio breakout. that seller that sells the Scart cables on ebay has these too they are like $12-$13 bucks. so you connect your scart cable to the breakout, then the breakout to the scart to component adapter.

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
cool man, thanks alot.
i was confused for a second due to you two having Gutz as your avatar.

haightc

n00b
I have a Sony BVM-1310 and a ikegami TM20-19R.
I BVM looks sharper that the ikegami, slightly when using RGB/component but much more so over composite. My Ikegami is supposed to be 600lines and my BVM 700, but the picture difference is pretty notable. Just the 13" is a little small for 2nd player time crisis, so I have been considering trying to find a good quality consumer grade TV.
My old Sony WEGA LCD projection TV actually work with 15kHz 240p suprisingly but the image quality is really poor compared to a plasma or crt monitor. Plus I am pretty sure light gun games wouldn't work.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Never used a PVM and I never plan on it. Regular Trinitrons are fine.

this one:

https://www.amazon.com/SPECIALTY-AV-SCART-Component-Converter-Genesis/dp/B004XSSDPO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474556421&sr=8-1&keywords=scart+to+component

you also need this to breakout the audio http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCART-to-SCART-with-Passthrough-Breakout-Female-RCA-Phono-Audio-Connectors-/302067263568?hash=item46549ca850:g:Na8AAOSwdIFX0s9-

or make your own audio breakout. that seller that sells the Scart cables on ebay has these too they are like $12-$13 bucks. so you connect your scart cable to the breakout, then the breakout to the scart to component adapter.

Looking into it right now, will try some of your suggestions soon very soon!!

Last edited: