Who Had An AES Growing Up in the 90s?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
It's the case with most retro nowadays. Why would you want to own dodgy hardware that you need to mod to get the best out of anyway. Goodbye shelves of retro

I've tried emulation so many times and it just doesn't feel right most of the time. It's hard to explain, it's probably all psychological... but meh. Some days I do look at all the hardware and think to myself "wtf"... and then other times I find myself admiring the asthetics and design forms.

If M2 could port every retro console's library to PS4 / PS5, then, and only then would I maybe ditch the OG hardware... ;)

As for modding... the only console I've needed to have modded is my PC Engine Duo for RGB, everything else is stock.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The basement lol
Confined to nerd cave

Best retro room is none at all
It's like so many people are incapable of just having a hobby. They need to build an all consuming shrine to the childhood they never actually had. It is totally possible to have a nerdy hobby and avoid filling your entire house with junk, having 20 consoles hooked up at all times or dozens of little anime girl figures proudly on display.

Even worse are the guys that have kids and force their own nostalgia and compulsive behavior on them. All they're doing is using the kids as an excuse to buy more embarrassing junk. Your kid does not give a fuck about boxed N64 stuff and tacky Zelda figurines or whatever dumb bullshit you project on them. They care about having an iPad, twitch and Fortnite like their friends do.

"I could never get rid of ________, my kids love it." Is the biggest crock of shit ever.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The basement lol
Confined to nerd cave

Best retro room is none at all
Basements are awesome. That's my part of the house that no one else can fuck with. Not better than vaginas, but still awesome.

It's like so many people are incapable of just having a hobby. They need to build an all consuming shrine to the childhood they never actually had. It is totally possible to have a nerdy hobby and avoid filling your entire house with junk, having 20 consoles hooked up at all times or dozens of little anime girl figures proudly on display.
"never actually had"? The core of my collection is what I got as a kid. It's a continuation.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
"never actually had"? The core of my collection is what I got as a kid. It's a continuation.
That wasn't even directed at you but you seem to have taken offense to it anyway.

Good for you, never being able to part with any piece of your childhood and pretending you're still 10 years old is totally healthy.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
That wasn't even directed at you but you seem to have taken offense to it anyway.

Good for you, never being able to part with any piece of your childhood and pretending you're still 10 years old is totally healthy.
Your post was responding to a response to a comment I made, so I responded just in case.

As for your second paragraph, now who's making assumptions? People do whatever they can to be happy. I don't claim to know the secret to happiness.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
There's a reason so many people have fond memories of sitting in the basement playing games with their friends and it isn't because their dad turned it into a nerd cave that they weren't allowed into.

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
There's a reason so many people have fond memories of sitting in the basement playing games with their friends and it isn't because their dad turned it into a nerd cave that they weren't allowed into.
I have "fond memories" of using my dad's top of the line Bang & Olufsen stereo to listen to his vinyl and cd's collection, then later on, getting a beating for having scratched his Dire Straits discs...

Now I love Dire Straits, but cant forget the slaps I took for that :keke: :keke:

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member

Even worse are the guys that have kids and force their own nostalgia and compulsive behavior on them. All they're doing is using the kids as an excuse to buy more embarrassing junk. Your kid does not give a fuck about boxed N64 stuff and tacky Zelda figurines or whatever dumb bullshit you project on them. They care about having an iPad, twitch and Fortnite like their friends do.

"I could never get rid of ________, my kids love it." Is the biggest crock of shit ever.
I have a good friend who comes over once in a while and really isn't in the whole collecting aspect like I am. She always laughs at me and says I wonder if the kids in 20 years time will have shelves filled with old Ipads and phones playing flappy bird.

My four year old son is really into shredder's revenge. He wants to play it all day every day. I let him play 2 levels right before bed. He doesn't car emuch about my other crap but the Turtles seems to hit a good spot with childeren.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I have "fond memories" of using my dad's top of the line Bang & Olufsen stereo to listen to his vinyl and cd's collection, then later on, getting a beating for having scratched his Dire Straits discs...

Now I love Dire Straits, but cant forget the slaps I took for that :keke: :keke:
I wrecked the tape deck in my dads stereo as a kid. Sure took a beatign for that. I also remember deleting some files of his Mac Quadra 840AV he just got. Ow lordy was he mad.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Yes, but nice for the dad though.

I wrecked the tape deck in my dads stereo as a kid. Sure took a beatign for that. I also remember deleting some files of his Mac Quadra 840AV he just got. Ow lordy was he mad.
My brother and I gradually wrecked a turntable and speakers. My parents consider it the start of my interest in electronics.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Yes, but nice for the dad though.

My brother and I gradually wrecked a turntable and speakers. My parents consider it the start of my interest in electronics.
I used my dad's Turntable as a diecast car launcher :D :D

beogram8000.jpg

It WAS a hell of fun... until I felt it!!! :keke: keke:

It was more than a deserved beating. And thanks to this thread, I just recovered a pair of Beovox RL60's from my parents house.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
A bit too young to really care about Neo Geo when it came out and missed most of the coverage for it too since by the late 90s most magazines had moved on to new stuff. Ironically, the "rich kid" console I remember was Dreamcast when it came out since the only person I knew who had one was a rich kid and by the time they were doing the fire sales PS2 was the thing rich kids had for a year or so until you could easily find one. I think the first Neo Geo I played was the Xbox port of MS3.