WHO... killed Flashchat?...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
This could be a bad time for you fooks on the forum...

Chat is the ONLY thing keeping you off my radar... Just sayin'...

xROTx

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Seemed to have happened about 40 minutes ago. Just had finished dinner and wanted to login, then the whole site stopped responding for several minutes and afterwards the chat error message appeared.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Shawn has more information about this. He may make an announcement soon. Basically, chat had malicious code injected into it. Not sure if this will mean we need a new chat.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
You guys need to stop blaming me for shite...

HONESTLY... I got PM's asking if I had gone Vietcong on peoples posts while we had downtime on the database...

xROTx

PS. I am considering employing a Ng.com secretary to take the shit...

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
There seems to be no posts on the forum between 5:30pm EST yesterday and 11:29am EST today.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Shawn had a banner up all day yesterday telling people people that there was a good chance all posts between then and server change would likely disappear...it was literally on every page all day and all night - did no one see this?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
flashchat is important because
1: it's rot's personal safespace
2: it keeps him away from the rest of the forum

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Shawn had a banner up all day yesterday telling people people that there was a good chance all posts between then and server change would likely disappear...it was literally on every page all day and all night - did no one see this?

If he had posted a thread about it in the Market more people probably would've seen it.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
flashchat is important because
1: it's rot's personal safespace
2: it keeps him away from the rest of the forum

It still doesn't stop people from PM'ing me...

Infact... nothing much does to be honest...

As for the forum... you should look it in this way... Before 2010 I had a post count ratio of 0.71 per day...

There is no real safe spaces on the forum now... sorry...

xROTx

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Even before this i tried accessing the chatbut couldnt get in thtough chrome or internet explorer

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
That means the anti-fagit protection in chat is working correctly.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
you're my hero madman, one silly ass comment at a time.

But seriously, has it been down awhile, I thought it was my flash not working with my new OS install of Win10.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Just make a discord room... Easy enough.

WNivek

Overtop Pathfinder
Discord certainly has some advantages, such as being properly supported in modern browsers and smart phones.

That said, I was under the impression that part of the draw of the chat was its ephemeral nature - that what's said in chat stays in chat, because there's no record of it otherwise. Discord, however, does keep a log of written messages, so that you can catch up on discussions you missed while you were away. What's written will remain, at least until someone explicitly edits or deletes it.

I'm not saying Discord is a bad idea - I quite like it myself - but it's not exactly a drop-in replacement for how some folks were using the flash chat.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Rot keeps records of everything said in chat. You have been warned.