Why does Metal Slug 4 get so much hate?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I don't give a shit panda. I say RPGs suck so fucken what? I'm not saying you shouldn't say what sucks or not, I'm simply just being plain honest. RPGs suck, deep down everyone that plays these pieces of shit knows they'd prefer to have that ability to play something better. OMG what about the deep story...what?! What fucken story, just a bunch of precious moments dolls being all insecure and shit, lame!

To each his own I guess, I play all types of genres and respect them all, even Chessmaster 2000. Either way I guess the conversation has come to a close.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
To answer: Compared to Slux X and Slug 3, Metal Slug 4 is ass. Just ask Tarma.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
OK, good for you panda. BTW playing chess is more fun with a board.

Edit: I'm sorry Panda, I don't mean to be so harsh sometimes but it just to be honest RPGs bring back bad memories.

Last edited:

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I agree it's not as good as Slug 1,2,X, and 3. But if you judge it on it's own merits it's still a pretty good game, and even if it's a retread, it's one that I still enjoy playing. If anything it's just mediocre and perhaps forgettable, but even a "bad" Metal Slug game is still light years better than most of the crap coming out today.

And what's with the RPG hate? I agree they take almost no skill at all, but sometimes I just want to play what is essentially an interactive novel. Hopefully the story holds up and the battles are at least engaging.

Last edited:
It's a fun game. I like the 2 machine guns, and the cargo ship stage has some tricky jumps to make, but the whole game still feels a bit watered down. Especially compaired to the brilliance of MSX and 3. Final boss was a big disappointment.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Bad memories...?? ...electricgrave...you cried when Aeris died didnt you.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
What could Slug have learned from the MegaMan series about new releases (and/or why does that fan base feel different about those successive releases)?

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner

LMAO. :lolz:

Anyways, I find metal slug 4 doesn't add anything new to the series. There is a duel machine gun but isn't used too often to make much a difference to the gameplay. I find my self stuck at the same screen for 6 minutes because there too many enemies on screen and reused backgrounds my god.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Problem with MS4 is that MS3 was too good.

shiryu7

Quiz Detective
Judging MS4 solely on it's merits as a run 'n gun game independently, you can say it's good. It's just below par within the series. It was actually my first metal slug purchase on AES, since it was the cheapest one. Played it through and enjoyed it. Then I played 3 and I have since rarely ever cracked open the case again, and when I do it's only to make sure the game is still there.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Seriously, it's not a bad game by any means. I know the original developers for 1-3 weren't around for the later games, but 4 is still an awesome game, well deserving of the Metal Slug name. I guess it doesn't have some of the original characters (Tarma?) as playable, maybe that is why people piss on it?

I'd even say it has some of the best music in the entire series, and some pretty cool new weapons like the double uzis. Why the bitter hatred towards this awesome game?
Metal Slug 5 was the only Slug game I've played, where the way it played, it didn't even feel like it was a Slug game. It just felt like another platformer. So that's why I think 4 is better than 5.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Metal Slug 5 was the only Slug game I've played, where the way it played, it didn't even feel like it was a Slug game. It just felt like another platformer. So that's why I think 4 is better than 5.

I dislike the slide in 5. Has made me die many times while playing. Other than that, I like all Slug games.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Ya not a fan of the slide, it's hardly useful except in the 1st stage. The lack of secret areas in 5 also sucked. I think that's what I really liked about 3, was all the secret areas I would find, even after playing it for years. I just recently found out about the ostrich in the swimming portion by going through the tunnel, 10 years after I first played it. Such an amazing game with great replay value.

I think the only thing 5 trumps 4 in is the soundtrack, the sound quality in 5 is pretty damn good.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Ya not a fan of the slide, it's hardly useful except in the 1st stage. The lack of secret areas in 5 also sucked. I think that's what I really liked about 3, was all the secret areas I would find, even after playing it for years. I just recently found out about the ostrich in the swimming portion by going through the tunnel, 10 years after I first played it. Such an amazing game with great replay value.

I think the only thing 5 trumps 4 in is the soundtrack, the sound quality in 5 is pretty damn good.

I agree, I have not been able to find many secret paths in 5. Maybe 1 or 2, I suck at it anyway :)

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Problem with MS4 is that MS3 was too good.

I feel like that's a huge issue with the game too. It came out after the glorious game that was MS3, which set the bar so astronomically high that any MS made after seems like a disappointment. On its own, it's fantastic. But compared to 3, MS4 looks like a moldy turd in a shockbox.

Metal Slug76

Cheng's Errand Boy
It's not X or 3 simply put. The game peaked with MS3 and after that it was downhill for the series, but like most I do enjoy all MS games on the Neo.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
If 4 is the first slug you've played where the fuck have you been for the last 20 years?

well, I'm only 21...soooo that should give you some idea where I was, and I only recently obtained access to a working MVS set-up so I could experience the other games in the series (after hearing some downright awful things about the anthology for wii I decided to skip it)

All that being said I agree with a lot of your points, personally the game is special to me though

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
It's not X or 3 simply put. The game peaked with MS3 and after that it was downhill for the series, but like most I do enjoy all MS games on the Neo.
Metal Slug 3 is definitely not the best of the series, as it's too hard to 1cc. The best is either 1,2 or X.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
well, I'm only 21...soooo that should give you some idea where I was, and I only recently obtained access to a working MVS set-up so I could experience the other games in the series (after hearing some downright awful things about the anthology for wii I decided to skip it)

All that being said I agree with a lot of your points, personally the game is special to me though
Starting with 4 is only a good thing. You can only go up from there and that doesn't mean that 4 is a bad game, on the contrary I think it's a good game, the least favorite for sure, even the Advance slug is better but that is the least favorite of a great series. You got a lot of fun ahead of you if you get into the other games. The anthology isn't that bad, people just love to bitch. Is it perfect? no, fuck off! It's a port!

There's a lot of elitist BS going on in here, don't let it cloud your own judgment. Welcome to the forums.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
OK everyone has their different taste. I happen to like all of them, it's like KOF, every KOF has its charm, maybe I'm an easy customer and you're not?

I don't think I'm stretching it though, elitism is a big part of this community and of course this thread.

What makes you not really like 3? Is it too long? Too hard to 1cc? I dunno, I think it's superb, long yes, but that doesn't take away from the quality of the game. It is a quarter muncher sometimes though.