Why haven't any of you doll fuckers started a Game of Thrones topic?

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Seriously, I'm disappointed.
This is like, the best show on tv right now.
Never read "A Song of Ice and Fire", so I really don't know what to expect from this HBO series.
So far, the entire cast has been amazing. The story is building up to something pretty epic as well.
Please tell me I'm not the only one following this amazing show.

Last edited:

vagabond

NEST Puppet
I agree, it's my wife and I's favorite show by FAR right now; everything about it is top notch.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
I hate those people who say "read the book, it's sooo much better." But, read the book it's so much better. The show rules so hard, Sundays will never be the same when it ends in 2 weeks.

I've talked to a couple dudes who have said they think it's boring... baffles the mind how anyone could think the show is boring. Just the production value alone is enough to keep me entertained.

Tyrion was my favorite character in the book(s) and I think they really made him a great character in the show too.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Hey only I get to call people "dick fuckers" ok.

Castor Troy

I hate those people who say "read the book, it's sooo much better." But, read the book it's so much better.

I'll read the books once this season is over.
I seriously expect this show to sweep many award shows. It's just that good.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I've been meaning to read the books for months. Eventually, I'll get around to it. I don't want to watch the tv show first. Maybe not next, either, depending on how much I like the books.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I'm loving this show with each episode

"A crown for a KING!"

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I been watching it and it's bloody fantastic afther it finsh it's run i'll give the books a read.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
This show got picked up for a second season the first night it aired, so it's fair to say it's going to win awards.

Loving this show, but I think it's a bit heavy for some audiences due to the amount of characters involved. Sometimes I don't know exactly who they're talking about at that moment in time, but they make it clear by following up. I know some people (women) that this bothers though. "Who is that?" is a pretty common question when watching this and there's a conversation going on about someone that isn't there. If you just wait 30 seconds, it'll probably be made more clear. Either that or it really doesn't matter all that much.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
The books are great. I read up to the third one, and just started the fourth, but I can't find my Kindle's power charger. :(

As for the show, I have heard good things, but I no longer get HBO. So the choice now is to torrent it, or wait until it comes out on Bluray/DVD. I've heard it's pretty faithful to the books so far.

It's got some great talent in there. Lena Headey, Sean Bean, Peter Dinklage. Glad to hear it's getting a second season.

And yeah, the story has a ton of characters, but it's not too hard to follow, since many of them die off anyway. Martin loves killing off characters.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Great show. I haven't read the books but I have heard they are amazing.

Dockmaster X is the sole arbiter of dickfuckers.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I'd have to say that I'm enjoying it, but I do think it has dragged a bit lately.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I've really been enjoying it, pretty much everything about it is top notch. I've only been watching it sporadically though and have missed a couple episodes.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Best show I've ever watched. Period.

Best novels I've ever read. Period.

And both are awesome.

No hypebole, no sensationalism.

It's just the best.

As for the comparisons, the TV show is about 95 percent accurate to the novel. They abbreviate a few things and tighten a few things up, and find different ways to reveal information that makes more sense for a TV show, but this is largely the same narrative.

This show is a perfect example of why you stick to the fucking blueprint. This show achieves what The Walking Dead failed to do in its translation, although I still enjoyed The Walking Dead TV series.

The thing I like best about the series (books and TV) is the sense of CONSEQUENCE. I don't know who's going to live and who's going to die. It makes me really care about the events. And the characters are ALL so awesome and interesting. Even the characters that are absolute cocknockers...I want to watch/read about them all and see where it goes.

Ironically, Martin said that the series was something he decided to write when he got tired of the constraints of writing for TV. He said 'I wanted to write something where I didn't have to worry about the limitations of TV. I could just put whatever I wanted in there and not have to hold back or keep anything out.'

And now with a quality network like HBO, who is committed to providing top flight entertainment to the audiences, it can be made exactly as he intended.

I'm also watching Camelot right now, and it's got some problems. If Game of Thrones had not been on at the same time, I might be more forgiving. It just comes off as so lightweight by comparison. After Game of Thrones, I don't think I can ever go back to network TV, either. It's just fucking kids' stuff by comparison.

Last edited:

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
Tyrion was my favorite character in the book(s) and I think they really made him a great character in the show too.

I agree. Except that he was suppose to be revoltingly ugly.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Probably the most incredible thing about Tyrion in the show is that they've found a way to have a dwarf stand just as tall as the rest of the characters in terms of charisma and appeal. Generally, dwarfs are mishandled by a production and despite their best efforts it comes off as a stretch.

In the books, you never doubt Tyrion is a player, and a dangerous one, in the game. The show has managed to translate the character's potency very well.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Yes, Game of Thrones is by far the best show on TV. Gonna suck when the season is over as I really only watch this and Dr. Who religiously.

Castor Troy

Loving this show, but I think it's a bit heavy for some audiences due to the amount of characters involved. Sometimes I don't know exactly who they're talking about at that moment in time, but they make it clear by following up.

I felt the same way about The Wire when I started watching it. Eventually, everything just clicked. LOVED that show and loving this one just as much.

Sage, I too don't have HBO, but that problem can easily be bypassed.

Castor Troy

My mind was blown last night.
Spoiler:
No! Ned's dead! :crying:

Wasn't expecting that at all.
I also really liked that fight between Jorah Mormont and that one guy who wants to replace Drogo as leader.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Get used to it. He's the first of many characters to get killed.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Get used to it. He's the first of many characters to get killed.

I pretty much assumed this after seeing that episode, but it's really something you expect to see at the end of a season, not the episode before the finale. Curious to see what they have in store as a cliffhanger for that.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
When I was reading the book and came to the event that is being referenced right now, I wanted to scream and throw the novel at the wall.

Then I realized what brilliant writing it was.

The bottom line is that bad things happen to good people all the time in real life. In history, there are no daring last second rescues, no swinging from chandaliers or 'two against many' scenarios. Usually, people trying risky things get killed and the Robin Hood last second rescues just didn't happen for important prisoners all that often. Usually, they ended up suffering.

It gave the novels a certain real world grittiness despite being in a pseudo fantasy setting.

Martin's template is really simple.

He wants to show what's going on a certain part of Westeros or the land beyond the Narrow Sea, or whatever. So he writes the climate of that particular region through the eyes of the characters living in it. By doing this, the reader becomes familiar with the global political situation and the actions and reactions of the characters affect or are affected by the changing climates around them.

And it works really well.

And would utterly fail if characters defied realistic odds in this setting.

I don't think I could read fantasy novels if they were all like this, but as a singular entity in the genre amidst a sea of average adventure novels, Martin's work is far and away the best I've ever read.