Why haven't any of you doll fuckers started a Game of Thrones topic?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I love the show but it moves as fast as a Dragon Ball Z episode....

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
im waiting for the flood of Book readers to lash against the show.

Right now they just seem to be happy people know about it.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
im waiting for the flood of Book readers to lash against the show.

Right now they just seem to be happy people know about it.

I'm not sure we are going to have a backlash... Most of the people I know, myself included, really enjoy the adaptation. It is quite faithful to the books, albeit condensed.

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
I read the book back in 97 and loved it, but never checked out the sequels, which I was trying to do sometime last year. I think I'll pick up the next two and see how they are.

The show is amazing, its bound to win tons of awards. Peter Dinklage for best male actor!

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Peter Dinklage for best male actor!

see i dunno about this. Is he a good actor, or just good for a midget? So many small people are terrible actors. I can't tell.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Peter Dinklage for best male actor!

Right now, sure. But isn't Breaking Bad coming back in a few weeks? GoT as a whole should win awards for best series. Cranston owns any best male actor award.

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
Cranston does an amazing job, I'll agree that he owns every male actor award, but the performance Dinklange has done is phenomenal. Midgets tend to be goofy side characters, its seldom that we see one that's putting on a serious performance.

With all of this said, Breaking Bad is my fav show on tv right now, and its because of Cranston. GoT is a close second, and I agree that the show as a whole should win best series awards.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Cranston does an amazing job, I'll agree that he owns every male actor award, but the performance Dinklange has done is phenomenal. Midgets tend to be goofy side characters, its seldom that we see one that's putting on a serious performance.

With all of this said, Breaking Bad is my fav show on tv right now, and its because of Cranston. GoT is a close second, and I agree that the show as a whole should win best series awards.

Cosigned. The Imp is one of the most likable characters. GoT will probably win over BB, but as a series, BB is the best.

HoboinaBox

You've earned negative attention.
In a way, Tyrion reminds me of myself with the eloquent wit and charm about his attitude, I just think his need of books pushes him into the bum tickler zone.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Started the series on the recommendation of this thread. On episode 4. Not sure what I think about it so far. Some of it just seems to drag, but I guess that's to be expected for an hour long show. I'm sticking with it, though.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Yeah stick with it man. Lots of my friends who had not read the book kind of echoed the same sentiments early on but are now thoroughly hooked... the production value was enough to pique their interest initially (or at least keep them from losing it), but now the scope and range of the characters along with everything else is what has kept them.

A question for those who read the first book... a couple of my friends were kind of let down by the last episode (Baelor) as it was missing some of the battles that were in the book. Personally, it didn't bother me in the least. While I think this portion of the book was excellent the episode they put together was fantastic... I'm inclined to think it's just elitist bullshit mentality that makes people feel the need to point out the differences and complain, but what did you guys think?

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Mother fucker. Just finished episode 4, and the ending was great. The whole episode was good, but now I feel like I'm going to miss something if I don't continue it. Kudos for this thread. This will be a great time-killer for the summer.

My only complaint is that there seems to be a lot of gratuitous sex scenes. They kind of seem thrown in and go on like some sort of erotic time-filler. Normally I wouldn't care, but I made the mistake of initially trying to watch it with my kid around, heh. Looks like this show is going to be regulated to night time viewings.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Awesome dude, so much insane shit ahead for you. Kinda makes me wish I could go watch it all over again, and I probably will after the finale this Sunday.

And yeah, the gratuitous sex scenes are fully in the book as is the descriptive language. Kind of put me off when I first read through the book, not because I was offended but because it just felt sort of contrived and forced. Changed my opinion about it though as really, its a character drama. And people like to fuck, regardless of what kingdom or time they are from.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
That was pretty sweet!
Lost track of how many times I've watched this clip. lol!

z5009.jpg

Damn it I love that, posting it on my fb wall

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Awesome dude, so much insane shit ahead for you. Kinda makes me wish I could go watch it all over again, and I probably will after the finale this Sunday.

And yeah, the gratuitous sex scenes are fully in the book as is the descriptive language. Kind of put me off when I first read through the book, not because I was offended but because it just felt sort of contrived and forced. Changed my opinion about it though as really, its a character drama. And people like to fuck, regardless of what kingdom or time they are from.

Yep, and in such a setting they do it as frequently as everyone else. Sex is a serious driving force behind the characters, just as it is in real life.

I have no issues with the sex in the show.

I think it's far more gratuitous in Spartacus, but I really don't have a problem with it in that show, either.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Yep, and in such a setting they do it as frequently as everyone else. Sex is a serious driving force behind the characters, just as it is in real life.

I have no issues with the sex in the show.

I think it's far more gratuitous in Spartacus, but I really don't have a problem with it in that show, either.

The main point behind my comment was that I was unprepared for it, and decided that it was a bad idea to watch the show around my kid.

Still, there is a lot of it. You can say it's a driving force behind the characters, but when people are randomly fucking each other at a wedding while dancing, I just roll my eyes. Yes, they're barbaric. We get it. Also, be sure to document every possible sex act that can take place with the main characters. Go for 2-3 minutes with every one of the scenes, if at all possible.

Although the last episode I watched, they decided to film a conversation between a messenger and guard by a door where the guy was fucking 5-6 women at the same time, as some would trickle out. I guess they can be subtle about it when they want.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The main point behind my comment was that I was unprepared for it, and decided that it was a bad idea to watch the show around my kid.

Still, there is a lot of it. You can say it's a driving force behind the characters, but when people are randomly fucking each other at a wedding while dancing, I just roll my eyes. Yes, they're barbaric. We get it. Also, be sure to document every possible sex act that can take place with the main characters. Go for 2-3 minutes with every one of the scenes, if at all possible.

Although the last episode I watched, they decided to film a conversation between a messenger and guard by a door where the guy was fucking 5-6 women at the same time, as some would trickle out. I guess they can be subtle about it when they want.

It's clear that you aren't watching the series that closely, an I think if you gave it more of a chance you would really dig it. I think it's fantastic.

Spartacus is better on screen. More visceral.

Alc

Rugal's Thug
Looks like this show is going to be regulated to night time viewings.
It's not for kids (depending on your standards, I guess). Sex aside, there's a lot of graphic violence later on.

I picked up the first book on the strength of the show. I don't tend to read fantasy (or sci-fi, for that matter), so I don't know whether I'll stick it out.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I don't necessarily agree that one plays 'better' than the other, but Spartacus has more of an immediate payoff, IMO. If you're looking for weekly thrills, Spartacus delivers. The show is quick, bloody and coarse. As well it should be. The dramatic situations of Spartacus are very plebian/Shakesperean in terms of theme and delivery. There ARE politics, to be sure, but Spartacus is more concerned about the bloody consequences of dealings gone foul. Everything in Spartacus is all build up for the inevitiable collapse of the characters' schemes. Rather appropriately, Spartacus is completely about the payoff.

The politics of of Game of Thrones feel more 'real world,' and interwoven. If continuing layers and interweaving intrigue is not your thing, you're likely to consider the show a little slow. Thrones is not about the payoff. It's about the whole process. Payoffs are just another event, leading to the next series of events. If you aren't into watching the evolution of the thing, and only want to see how it all turns out, get ready for a long and frustrating ride. Real world politics don't just 'end' and the show is not about fighting and blood. Fight and blood are just byproducts when others see through the gilded smiles and fake promises as they converse.

Just the scene from last night where Varys and Petyr are talking about the throne just before Joffrey walks in on them is deep and layered, and if you take into account all the different ways in which the characters have been influencing the world around them, it takes on so many meanings and so much weight. But in order for that to matter to the audience, they have to be interested in the political drama. Ned finding out the truth of John Arryn's death is not the endgame of the storyline. It just sets up the next thing. And it goes on and on and the complications twist and writhe and change continually.

The MOST interesting about Thrones, to me, is watching these layered, complex and wholly fascinating characters react to those situaitons and seeing the cycle of intrigue continue.

Another difference between the two is their source of origin. Spartacus isn't nearly as complex as Thrones, and it was written as a one season TV show with the potential for a second if people liked it enough. If you know anything about Spartacus, the popular versions or what little is known of history, all the foundations are set up for any iteration. If they didn't continue it, it serves as a suitable 'prologue' to the myth of Spartacus. Because of the tight framework and the knowledge the producers had of how many episodes they had, they were able to plot just enough into each episode to move things along to the payoff.

Thrones isn't written like that, wasn't conceived like that, and there is considerable shoehorning that has to be done to fit that book into ten episodes. I'm frankly amazed at how well they were able to pull it off. But wasn't conceived as a ten episode TV series. Martin wrote it from the standpoint that it would be something unfilmable, so he put everything in there that he wanted to.

But its origins as a novel are evident from the very first. They made it as all-inclusive as they could, but complex books about dirty politics just aren't as accessible to general audiences as a TV show crafted solely to appeal to general audiences. Spartacus has a beautiful simplicity to its storytelling, a sort of plain genius that just fucking works. It carried on into the prequel, Gods of the Arena, and you can tell that the producers have this thing figured out.

It helps Spartacus that they can put in action, sex and intrigue in a single episode by centering it on a very small group of people who exist to fight and those who directly control their lives. Let's see how things change once Spartacus and his rebels go to war. I hope Starz doesn't skimp. I don't need epic wars in every episode. I don't need Helm's Deep every week, but there will be some very vicious fighting going on as Spartacus' revolt grows to thousands. I can't wait to see how the showdown between him and Glaber plays out on the screen.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don't necessarily agree that one plays 'better' than the other, but Spartacus has more of an immediate payoff, IMO. If you're looking for weekly thrills, Spartacus delivers. The show is quick, bloody and coarse. As well it should be. The dramatic situations of Spartacus are very plebian/Shakesperean in terms of theme and delivery. There ARE politics, to be sure, but Spartacus is more concerned about the bloody consequences of dealings gone foul. Everything in Spartacus is all build up for the inevitiable collapse of the characters' schemes. Rather appropriately, Spartacus is completely about the payoff.

The politics of of Game of Thrones feel more 'real world,' and interwoven. If continuing layers and interweaving intrigue is not your thing, you're likely to consider the show a little slow. Thrones is not about the payoff. It's about the whole process. Payoffs are just another event, leading to the next series of events. If you aren't into watching the evolution of the thing, and only want to see how it all turns out, get ready for a long and frustrating ride. Real world politics don't just 'end' and the show is not about fighting and blood. Fight and blood are just byproducts when others see through the gilded smiles and fake promises as they converse.

Just the scene from last night where Varys and Petyr are talking about the throne just before Joffrey walks in on them is deep and layered, and if you take into account all the different ways in which the characters have been influencing the world around them, it takes on so many meanings and so much weight. But in order for that to matter to the audience, they have to be interested in the political drama. Ned finding out the truth of John Arryn's death is not the endgame of the storyline. It just sets up the next thing. And it goes on and on and the complications twist and writhe and change continually.

The MOST interesting about Thrones, to me, is watching these layered, complex and wholly fascinating characters react to those situaitons and seeing the cycle of intrigue continue.

Another difference between the two is their source of origin. Spartacus isn't nearly as complex as Thrones, and it was written as a one season TV show with the potential for a second if people liked it enough. If you know anything about Spartacus, the popular versions or what little is known of history, all the foundations are set up for any iteration. If they didn't continue it, it serves as a suitable 'prologue' to the myth of Spartacus. Because of the tight framework and the knowledge the producers had of how many episodes they had, they were able to plot just enough into each episode to move things along to the payoff.

Thrones isn't written like that, wasn't conceived like that, and there is considerable shoehorning that has to be done to fit that book into ten episodes. I'm frankly amazed at how well they were able to pull it off. But wasn't conceived as a ten episode TV series. Martin wrote it from the standpoint that it would be something unfilmable, so he put everything in there that he wanted to.

But its origins as a novel are evident from the very first. They made it as all-inclusive as they could, but complex books about dirty politics just aren't as accessible to general audiences as a TV show crafted solely to appeal to general audiences. Spartacus has a beautiful simplicity to its storytelling, a sort of plain genius that just fucking works. It carried on into the prequel, Gods of the Arena, and you can tell that the producers have this thing figured out.

It helps Spartacus that they can put in action, sex and intrigue in a single episode by centering it on a very small group of people who exist to fight and those who directly control their lives. Let's see how things change once Spartacus and his rebels go to war. I hope Starz doesn't skimp. I don't need epic wars in every episode. I don't need Helm's Deep every week, but there will be some very vicious fighting going on as Spartacus' revolt grows to thousands. I can't wait to see how the showdown between him and Glaber plays out on the screen.

I'm half expecting Gannicus to return later as part of the Roman military, in a showdown with Crixus.

I like Game of Thrones, but Spartacus is better. Payoff is a good term to use here. I like it.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It's clear that you aren't watching the series that closely, an I think if you gave it more of a chance you would really dig it. I think it's fantastic.

Spartacus is better on screen. More visceral.

You're 100% spot-on. I made the mistake of casually watching the first several episodes while doing other things. This was a huge mistake, because I missed a lot of things. Taiso is right - this series demands serious attention. I just finished episode 9, and I feel it hurt me not watching the first episodes as closely as I should. I know what's going on, but I'm not engrossed in it like I should be. I'll finish episode 10 today, and probably go back and watch the other episodes again.

One thing troubles me about the series is that everything almost seems like it could really happen, but then frozen monsters attack an outpost which make me kind of scratch my head... and if Khal Drogo survives because of blood magic it may ruin the realistic aspect that I enjoyed from the show.

This is still a great show. I fully plan to go back and re-watch episodes just to get a ton of information I know I missed.