Why is Fatal Fury better than Street Fighter?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Its pretty common knowledge that Fatal Fury is a much better series than Street Fighter. But has anyone asked why?

Is it the added depth from the multiplane environment?
Is the vast amount of unique characters and balanced gameplay?
How about the catchy music and the attention to detail that went into stage/character designs.
Or maybe it was SNK not being afraid to experiment that made each new release fresh and kept you coming back for more?

/Discuss

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I think Street Fighter is better. Not Saying I dont like the FF series but SF to me is the pinnacle of fighting games.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Depends on the game, really.

Nobody likes Street Fighter I, and I hate Street Fighter IV, V, and SFxT.

All the mainline Fatal Fury games are awesome in my book except the first one.

But Third Strike or Super Turbo vs Mark of the Wolves or Real Bout Special? That's a hell of a tough call.

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
As somebody who used to play 3rd Strike at tournaments I'd say that it wins over Garou....

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
As somebody who used to play 3rd Strike at tournaments I'd say that it wins over Garou....

3rd Strike might be a little better than Garou but it doesnt really hold a light to Real Bout. All three Real Bout games where excellent, all three Street Fighter 3's..... not so much.

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
It’s...not.

Fatal Fury is fun but street fighter is king

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I was totally about to seriously answer this since I prefer the Fatal Fury series over Street Fighter in most instances, but then I realized this was probably a troll thread anyway. :lolz:

FF1 vs SF1
FF2 & FFS vs SF2 & SSF2
Real Bout series vs Alpha/Zero series
MotW vs SFIII

When comparing the series parallels, preferences for art and character design aside, I do prefer the mechanics of FF over SF in most cases.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Smells like a school yard debate.... both are good in their own way.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i've come across people who say samurai shodown 2 is better than street fighter 2, but i wouldn't say it's a common occurrence for people to pick fatal fury over street fighter.

for me?, i absolutely prefer fatal fury over street fighter, but not by a lot. street fighter up to and including sf3 is still one of my all time favourites series.

ff1 > sf1

as for the rest of the games in the street fighter series is as good as its fatal fury equivalent.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
I'm a big fan of Fatal Fury Special but Street Fighter II series is my favourite.

Similar argument to Final Fight vs Streets of Rage, Mega Drive vs SNES.

Personal preference

123►Genei-Jin

Overtop Pathfinder
"Common knowledge" lol
I love the Fatal Fury Series, but in terms of competitive play is not even close. SF (specially ST and 3s) wins by a mile.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Fatal Fury 1 is better than Street Fighter 1. Flat out.

Fatal Fury 2 is better than original vanilla Street Fighter 2. You remember, the version where both players couldn't be the same character.

I think Fatal Fury Special is better than any Street Fighter PRIOR to Super Turbo.

I like the three Real Bout games better than any of the three SFAs. But I'm not prepared to call them flat-out better. That would be a difficult claim to argue.

MotW vs original SF3 is kind of a judgement call. But Third Strike destroys the living shit out of MotW. If MotW had two revisions with gameplay improvements and increased rosters, who knows. But it didn't.

I do know that I'd rather play any Fatal Fury over its SF counterpart in 99 cases out of 100. But as others have said, that's not "better", it's just taste.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
As most said it's a matter of taste, but the common thread between the two is Street Fighter is simpler while Fatal Fury is more complex. The majority prefer the simpler (Street Fighter) game since the meta can easily make the game more complex. However for the minority that strive to learn everything Fatal Fury is more satisfying because of it's complexities.

The best example of this is Third Strike vs Mark of the Wolves. MOTW has WAY more substance the 3rd Strike ever has yet most gravitate to 3rd Strike because it's easier defined how to get better compared to MOTW. MOTW's just defend system doesn't stop a player with good fundamentals, but ignores the just defend system, from winning. 3rd Strike's parry system will trump even the best fundamentals since the parry sets you up for a counter attack unlike just defend. So you know learning the ins and outs of parries is where to start in 3rd Strike.

adaup1

n00b
While I like the Fatal Fury games more, I feel like most aren’t as polished as most street Fighter games. Real Bout Special got me into fighting games after not really liking Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Virtua Fighter, etc. While I love the plain system in the Real Bout games, I think it’s kind of a mess in the earlier titles.

I sort of feel like Third Strike and Mark of the Wolves are the pinnacle of 2D fighting games. I enjoy Mark of the Wolves more just because I’m so accustom to the four button design of SNK games. Even when I play Street Fighter I rarely use more than four of the buttons. I just feel like Third Strike is such an achievement in fighting game design. Not to say Mark of the Wolves isn’t, but we all know it’s SNK’s take on Third Strike.

I will add that my friend played nothing but Capcom fighters for the longest time, but he got Real Bout Special for Saturn after playing it with me on my Neo Geo. Now it’s his favorite fighting game. I’m just not sure I can say the whole series is better, overall.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Fatal Fury 1 is better than Street Fighter 1. Flat out.

Fatal Fury 2 is better than original vanilla Street Fighter 2. You remember, the version where both players couldn't be the same character.

I think Fatal Fury Special is better than any Street Fighter PRIOR to Super Turbo.

I like the three Real Bout games better than any of the three SFAs. But I'm not prepared to call them flat-out better. That would be a difficult claim to argue.

MotW vs original SF3 is kind of a judgement call. But Third Strike destroys the living shit out of MotW. If MotW had two revisions with gameplay improvements and increased rosters, who knows. But it didn't.

I do know that I'd rather play any Fatal Fury over its SF counterpart in 99 cases out of 100. But as others have said, that's not "better", it's just taste.

I know our opinion is definitely in the minority since street fighter was and always has been more popular, but I agree with you on all points. With respect to the gameplay mechanics, I've always preferred the systems at play in FF/Garou games over the Street Fighter series (although I love both game series). I really wish we could have seen what SNK could have done with the release of Garou 2.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
I know our opinion is definitely in the minority since street fighter was and always has been more popular, but I agree with you on all points. With respect to the gameplay mechanics, I've always preferred the systems at play in FF/Garou games over the Street Fighter series (although I love both game series). I really wish we could have seen what SNK could have done with the release of Garou 2.

As much as I love the FF series, I must say that aesthetically I have always preferred SF to FF. I don't know why but I think all stars aligned when CapCom created the almighty SF2 and while I vividly remember where and when I played SF2 in the arcades, the memory is blurry when it comes to the FF series. All characters in SF exude personality and charisma which spoke to me as a young 'un. And SF 3 Third Strike still is my all time favorite brawler.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I vividly remember where and when I played SF2 in the arcades

What stuck out about the first time I saw/played FF1 was the arcade had it right beside a SFII cab. The SFII cab was 50 cents per play and the Neo 25 cents. My brother and I would put two quarters in the FF1 cab and let one person fight the CPU until it looked like they were about to lose, then hit player 2 start. All about maximizing that playtime.