Windows Vista beta

pyrokilla

Vice's grappling partner...naked,
Anyone else running this ? Its pretty sweet so far , but I haven't tried any games yet.....

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
I don't feel like typing a novel about this right now, but so far in a nutshell I think it sucks. Put it this way: if this is the best Microsoft can do after five years since Windows XP, they should fire everyone on the Vista Team and start over. Vista is nothing more than Windows XP with a prettier shell (of course, XP was nothing more than 2000 with a prettier shell but that's another discussion).

Not to mention that this thing is so bloated it makes Windows XP look like Kate Moss in comparison.

The only good thing Microsoft has going for it is Office 2007, as I think it's a huge improvement over predecessors, although the only version of Exchange that will work with Outlook 2007 is Exchange 2007 which is an absolutely stupid decision.

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
Phoenix Down said:
I don't feel like typing a novel about this right now, but so far in a nutshell I think it sucks. Put it this way: if this is the best Microsoft can do after five years since Windows XP, they should fire everyone on the Vista Team and start over. Vista is nothing more than Windows XP with a prettier shell (of course, XP was nothing more than 2000 with a prettier shell but that's another discussion).

Not to mention that this thing is so bloated it makes Windows XP look like Kate Moss in comparison.

The only good thing Microsoft has going for it is Office 2007, as I think it's a huge improvement over predecessors, although the only version of Exchange that will work with Outlook 2007 is Exchange 2007 which is an absolutely stupid decision.

The beta is okay. Visually it's great running Aero but I admit the OS needs work. Then again, when I had a copy of RC2 for Windows XP, it chugged and ran like shit so you can't judge Vista by the beta alone.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
I tried to install the 64bit version yesterday.

After creating a partition on the drive, and then telling the installer to install Vista onto said partition, the installer then stopped shortly after and told me it couldn't find the hard drive and the installation has to stop. :oh_no:

I couldn't be bothered after that.

I really think Vista is going to do poorly. Things are getting over complex. 5 different versions? 5????

thundr51

Bead Banger
Phoenix Down said:

You're right actually. There's really no reason for any regular consumer to upgrade really. A lot of the extras will help make life easier for devs but otherwise DRM will ruin the OS for everybody else.

Neo Mike

Creative Moderator, Art Gallery Coordinator,
20 Year Member
Looks shitty. Bloated code, bloated requirements.

They are feature cutting by the day. I'd be shocked if they make the current release date.

Its been pushed back what? 2 years so far?

Windows Longwait errr Longhorn.

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
hanafudaX said:
I tried to install the 64bit version yesterday.

After creating a partition on the drive, and then telling the installer to install Vista onto said partition, the installer then stopped shortly after and told me it couldn't find the hard drive and the installation has to stop. :oh_no:

I couldn't be bothered after that.

I really think Vista is going to do poorly. Things are getting over complex. 5 different versions? 5????

Yeah, it's not like Windows XP has multiple versions like:

Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Windows Tablet PC Edition

Multiple versions is pretty common for Microsoft, Love it or hate it, Most everyone here will end up using Vista at some point in future.

As for Vista and it doing poorly, I doubt it when you consider about 99% of all the computer manufacturers will be preinstalling it by Jan '07 and that will make it a success regardless. Personally, I kind of like Beta 2 except it's a resource hog. Though it's free and a beta so it's bound to not run that great.

Last edited:

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Highlander67 said:
Yeah, it's not like Windows XP has multiple versions like:

Windows XP Professioanl
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Windows Tablet PC Edition

Multiple versions is pretty common for Microsoft, Love it or hate it, Most everyone here will end up using Vista at some point in future.

As for Vista and it doing poorly, I doubt it when you consider about 99% of all the computer manufacturers will be preinstalling it by Jan '07 and that will make it a success regardless. Personally, I kind of like Beta 2 except it's a resource hog. Though it's free and a beta so it's bound to not run that great.

I'm talking about 5 different packages, not versions for different platforms. If you want to include them, then you have more than 5 for Vista ;)

Sure, new PCs will have it installed, but it is commone knowledge that new OSs are the primary reason for new PC sales, and if Vista doesn't convince the consumers then.... Last time I looked XP has a surprisingly low user base when compared with the number of PCs out there.

Windows Vista Business
Regardless of the size of your organization, Windows Vista Business will help you lower your PC management costs, improve your security, enhance your productivity, and help you stay better connected.

Windows Vista Enterprise
Windows Vista Enterprise is designed to meet the needs of large global organizations with highly complex IT infrastructures. Windows Vista Enterprise can help you lower your IT costs while providing additional layers of protection for your sensitive data.

Windows Vista Home Premium
Whether you choose to use your PC to write e-mail and surf the Internet, for home entertainment, or to track your household expenses, Windows Vista Home Premium delivers a more complete and satisfying computing experience.

Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Vista Home Basic is designed to deliver improved reliability, security, and usability to home PC users who just want to do the basics with their PCs.

Windows Vista Ultimate
If you want all of the best business features, all of the best mobility features, and all of the best home entertainment features that Windows Vista has to offer, Windows Vista Ultimate is the solution for you. With Windows Vista Ultimate you don't have to compromise.

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
hanafudaX said:
I'm talking about 5 different packages, not versions for different platforms. If you want to include them, then you have more than 5 for Vista ;)

Sure, new PCs will have it installed, but it is commone knowledge that new OSs are the primary reason for new PC sales, and if Vista doesn't convince the consumers then.... Last time I looked XP has a surprisingly low user base when compared with the number of PCs out there.

Windows Vista Business
Regardless of the size of your organization, Windows Vista Business will help you lower your PC management costs, improve your security, enhance your productivity, and help you stay better connected.

Windows Vista Enterprise
Windows Vista Enterprise is designed to meet the needs of large global organizations with highly complex IT infrastructures. Windows Vista Enterprise can help you lower your IT costs while providing additional layers of protection for your sensitive data.

Windows Vista Home Premium
Whether you choose to use your PC to write e-mail and surf the Internet, for home entertainment, or to track your household expenses, Windows Vista Home Premium delivers a more complete and satisfying computing experience.

Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Vista Home Basic is designed to deliver improved reliability, security, and usability to home PC users who just want to do the basics with their PCs.

Windows Vista Ultimate
If you want all of the best business features, all of the best mobility features, and all of the best home entertainment features that Windows Vista has to offer, Windows Vista Ultimate is the solution for you. With Windows Vista Ultimate you don't have to compromise.

Um packages and versions are pretty much the same thing. All the vista versions you listed are a base of Windows Vista with options added or removed just like all the XP versions listed.
As for PC sales, Sales have been down over the last 3 years not because of Windows Xp, but because of people trying to extend the life of thier pcs by upgrading and not purchasing new ones. I have built computers for a good part of 10 years and typically I have more of my clients wanting to upgrade their current pc then by a whole new system.

Last edited: