Wives...Gfs... Will they ever understand?

FreedomGundam

New Challenger
My wife understands that gaming is an integral part of my lifestyle, and knew that going into the relationship when we started dating 10 years ago. She's rather impressed with the arcade-stuff and stick-building part of it, because she realizes it somewhat puts my education (computer engineer) to use. :)

On the flipside, though, she used to be a gamer back when we started dating; she's played through a good chunk of the Final Fantasy games, Chrono Cross, XenoSaga, .hack, and a bunch of other RPGs; though she hasn't played all that much in recent years other than a few point-and-click games on the DS/3DS (Ghost Trick, Hotel Dusk, Zero Escape series) and the Mario Kart series.

Masamune

n00b
Mine is sort of indifferent about my gaming and collection.

My gaming time gives her free time to watch all of her girly shows. She goes in the other room, I stay in the living room and we're both happy.

I don't give her grief about her shoe/purse collection and she doesn't mention my systems/games.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
My wife is a bad ass gamer. Natural skills? Just asian.

-Stell

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
My gf is incredibly supportive. She made one statement about my collecting habits for the future: as long as my spending does not take priority over health, bills, or education she is OK with it.

Does she know much about gaming? Slightly. She kicks my ass in Crash Team Racing and is pretty good at old school Genesis titles and PS1 platformers but beyond a hint of interest here and there she's just not into it. She respects my interests, bought me a copy of Custer's Revenge on a whim, and brings me a beer every now and them when I'm powering through a game.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Mt gf is a gamer, has her own PS3 and everything!

powerflower

Banned
There was this girlfriend long time ago...she wasn't a hardcore gamer but when it came to Zelda she played the hell outta them. Also puzzlers, Soul Calibur and even F-ZeroX. But then that magical day came when my beloved Dreamcast was released in Japan and i had my hands on that thing as an import (I worked as a thech in a small video game shop). I had the money and wanted it so badly. Only problem it would cost ca. 1700 todays Dollars with only VirtuaFighter3 and one controller.

When I started to think about it she looked in my eyes and said in a very calm way: "It's your decission but if you wait a little more the price would drop bacause this is a lot of money for that value" It was like a silent scream, "please don't do it". I didn't. I waited to months or so and purchased it for 1200 with four games, second controller, mem card, steering wheel and an S-Video cable.

Best decision in my video gaming life. She fully supported that move and i'm thankful to her up to this day that she didn't got hysterical:)

What I want to say, it's ok to love your hobby but do it in a moderate way. But it is not ok if women think we have to dance as they wish 100% of the time. Live and let live as we say here in Germany.

Last edited: