Wonderswan

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I had a WS Flashmasta from an earlier run, and it's issues made it feel too half baked. It's sad that there's no other option because the WS Flashmasta isn't all that great IMO. I can get past the compatibility issues, but the fact that the games you play all use and overwrite the same save data storage just flat out sucks. I would play one game, change to another, and the save data for the first game would be corrupted or missing entirely. It defeats the purpose of a flash cart with multiple ROMs if you can't actually save the games. It was a disappointment a few years ago and it still is today, sadly. If the saving issues could get ironed out I could see myself picking up another SwanCrystal.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I really only have 1-3 games I would still play on the WS. What are people doing with their flashmasta's?
I play devil dice, Driller, and Final Lap special...

I thought about the flashcart, but I'm not sure I would really use it.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
oh man, I saw that too - If I didn't have a crystal I'd go for it as well.

I picked up a cheap color awhile back in hopes of getting that other screen. But it never worked out. I hope this one is half as cool as the listing makes it look.

ChopstickSamurai

My screen came in today and I installed it no problem. So far it seems pretty cool but I’ll have to spend some time with it to see what the battery life is like. There are touch sensors for brightness and color palettes. The default brightness is maximum and it’s way too bright. The palettes would be nice for black and white games but are weird looking for color ones.

The install was pretty easy needing only to solder two wires. The wires and ribbon cable included were super long compared to the install pics, but I was able to get everything tucked inside. The screwdrivers they include are worthless as well. One is a tri wing and the other is a philips but the Wonderswan uses a star shaped bit to open it.

It’s night and day compared to the original screen though, and there is no shell modding involved. It’s nice there is finally a easy to obtain replacement screen for the WS.

7d9e2c242e0b509cb882002da3da1d33.jpg

fake

15 Year Member
Looks good. Is the display size the same as the original screens? Or are those black bars added?

ChopstickSamurai

Looks good. Is the display size the same as the original screens? Or are those black bars added?

I’m pretty sure it’s the same size. The black bar at the bottom was from not having the screen centered correctly. I’ve since fixed it. The one on the right is supposed to be there.

fake

15 Year Member
I’m pretty sure it’s the same size. The black bar at the bottom was from not having the screen centered correctly. I’ve since fixed it. The one on the right is supposed to be there.

OK, cool. I have a skeleton blue SwanCrystal that I don't want to mess with so I'm gonna try to hunt down an orange skeleton Wonderswan Color for this. I only have a few games, but I've always wanted to put more time into them.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I was finally ready to order, and of course they were sold out. Guess I'll try again in a few days.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Opera Snapshot_2021-01-28_125032_www.youtube.com.png

Curious what your results are Chopstick - overall, better than I expected honestly. On par with what I was getting out of the GBP with the new screens.

ChopstickSamurai

View attachment 58989

Curious what your results are Chopstick - overall, better than I expected honestly. On par with what I was getting out of the GBP with the new screens.

That sounds about right. I honestly expected worse since the WS only runs on one battery. I didn’t know he had a video up about this, thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
if I could grab an affordable WSC at this point I'd definitely do this mod - but those are waaay too much for what they are now. Along with everything else...

ChopstickSamurai

if I could grab an affordable WSC at this point I'd definitely do this mod - but those are waaay too much for what they are now. Along with everything else...

I was lucky enough to grab one pre pandemic in hopes of getting my hands on that TaoBao screen. That never worked out but I still had the WSC. Pink wasn’t my first choice, but it was the cheapest available at the time. Wish I had kept my clear orange one.

Prices are just nuts on things now. I have a Crystal as well but I don’t see myself modding it if a kit is released. Time will tell if this will be my way of playing WS games from now on. But so far I’m really loving it.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I was lucky enough to grab one pre pandemic in hopes of getting my hands on that TaoBao screen. That never worked out but I still had the WSC. Pink wasn’t my first choice, but it was the cheapest available at the time. Wish I had kept my clear orange one.

Prices are just nuts on things now. I have a Crystal as well but I don’t see myself modding it if a kit is released. Time will tell if this will be my way of playing WS games from now on. But so far I’m really loving it.

Yeah, I have a boxed minty Crystal...doubt I'd ever mod that thing. The screen on the Crystal isn't bad honestly. Not as good as a NGPC Slim, but good.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Honestly tho, what are people playing on their Wonderswans in 2021?
Driller, Devil Dice, and Final Lap special are all I would bother with today.

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
View attachment 58989

Holy crap. That’s about 12-15 hours less than a stock one. It’s not quite as bad as PCE GT or Gamegear but it’s worse than a Switch. You may as well just bring something powerful enough to emulate it.

The screen does look straight up amazing though. I’m impressed they retained the segmented section to the right. Very nice.

As for games to play, I mainly got the Swan back in the day to play Bandai trash, which I am a bit of a connoisseur of, and I still play that occasionally. Final Fantasy I is still fun too, this is (I think) the only port of the original where the magic is still D&D style instead of MP. Magical Drop is b/w but massively better than the Neo Geo Pocket one.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I've got a crystal with a front light but i honestly find it worse than having no light at all. I'd love to get on this mod but, i'll wait till someone gets a lot and I can buy from a us seller.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Honestly tho, what are people playing on their Wonderswans in 2021?
Driller, Devil Dice, and Final Lap special are I would bother with today.

Fire Lancer! Also, there is a killer golf game on there...Judgement Silversword, Guilty Gear Petit 1 & 2 - plenty to justify busting it out every once in awhile for me.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I was finally ready to order, and of course they were sold out. Guess I'll try again in a few days.

It's a few days later, and I was able to order. Anybody else waiting to lay hands on one of these they are now back in stock on AliExpress.

fake

15 Year Member
It's a few days later, and I was able to order. Anybody else waiting to lay hands on one of these they are now back in stock on AliExpress.

Do these types of things disappear quickly? I'm going to hold off for at least a few months before I buy a WS Color. Should I snatch up a screen ASAP? Or can I wait?