Wonderswan

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I disagree on Wonderswan. The Crystal, being over $100 now, isn't a great option unless you have a lot of color games. If what you have most of is B&W games, they are worse on the Wonderswan Color and wasted on the Crystal. The B&W Wonderswan is very cheap, about $10 - $20. I'd say it's much better value than the Crystal if you like B&W Wonderswan games.

The Game Boy Color is nice, but I find the postage stamp-sized screen to be a letdown. I like that the Pocket has a bigger screen. The Super Game Boy 2 is tethered to a home console, unless maybe you have a portable SNES clone, but that's just ridiculous.

Also, the original GBA has a completely horrible screen, it's second only to the Wonderswan Color in darkness and unreflectiveness (actually, the WSC is a bit more reflective). The original SP is okay, sort of blue-ish though. The SP2 looks great until you ask it for motion, I find the response time to be annoyingly slow. It's just slow enough that if you play an original Game Boy (Color) game, the pixels will become misshapen.

Interesting. I've only owned a B&W swan and B&W games. Can somebody do a side by side comparison of a B&W game displayed on both the original B&W & Crystal consoles?

Also, how does motion blur fare from the B&W to the Crystal?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Can somebody do a side by side comparison of a B&W game displayed on both the original B&W & Crystal consoles?
Also, how does motion blur fare from the B&W to the Crystal?
this would intrest me as well... I have a Crystal, but it's hard to see B&W games right (mainly Tekken Card Challenge and Makai-Mura). So I've been on the fence wheter or not to get a monochrome system...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Super Game Boy 2 is tethered to a home console, unless maybe you have a portable SNES clone, but that's just ridiculous.

I've used a SGB2 with a Supaboy playing Donkey Kong just to see if it would work. It did! It is ridiculous though.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I dont notice a big difference between the color and crystal until you play them side by side. It's crazy how much these have shot up in price.

So what all are people playing these days? I only have about 6-7 games that I feel are worth owning today. I didn't like B&W so I got rid of makaimura, and I could never get a hold of Klonoa. Plus there is a better version on the GBA anyways.

Final Lap Special
Mr Driller
Devil Dice
Rhyme Rider
One Piece: Grand Battle Swan Colosseum

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Judgement Silversword rebirth edition all day long

thank god for flash carts

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Once Flash's flashcart is completely reworked and done, the wonderswan (color or crystal) will be totally worth $100.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Once Flash's flashcart is completely reworked and done, the wonderswan (color or crystal) will be totally worth $100.

the "beta" version I have has been flawless. Love it. So, once he comes out with another - I would def recommend buying

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Also, I've been playing a LOT of Judgement Silversword lately and went ahead and bought a front-lit crystal of YAJ....sigh, I didn't need to eat and pay bills anyway.

I was looking at those too. How is the quality? Does the front light look good? Worth the price of admission? It's hard to tell from the tiny pics on YAJ.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I was looking at those too. How is the quality? Does the front light look good? Worth the price of admission? It's hard to tell from the tiny pics on YAJ.

Honestly, not sure I could recommend. The quality is great...it's as good as a gba front light can be on another system. It requires specific viewing angles and it has pretty washed out colors. That said, there is no visible dust and the mod seems to be very nicely done. I am keeping my stock system though, as a wonder swan under a lamp is better than any front light. But if that sounds terrible and you must have a lit screen, that guy on yaj does nice work.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Honestly, not sure I could recommend. The quality is great...it's as good as a gba front light can be on another system. It requires specific viewing angles and it has pretty washed out colors. That said, there is no visible dust and the mod seems to be very nicely done. I am keeping my stock system though, as a wonder swan under a lamp is better than any front light. But if that sounds terrible and you must have a lit screen, that guy on yaj does nice work.

Thanks a lot for the insight. This has been my experience with GBA lights in other systems too. I have a WS Color, but I think I should get my hands on a SwanCrystal soon. Can't wait for the multi cart to become available again. I've had his NGPC cart for years now, so this should be amazing too.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Is the flash cart compatible with all saved game features?

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I was thinking of picking one up shortly. I'm not overly impressed with the games.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
the "beta" version I have has been flawless. Love it. So, once he comes out with another - I would def recommend buying

I've never heard of this. Does he have a website / web store?

I just read that some fans completed a translation of the Rockman & Bass sequel. I bet the story and dialogue was worth all that effort :thevt:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Well I'd say you're a write-off, if you can't even stand a Game Boy Pocket. I use mine a lot, the Pocket would be perfect if it weren't for the crap battery life. 20 hours, my ass, more like 2 hours. If a person likes the Game Boy Pocket, then the B&W Wonderswan is very playable.

That said, the original Neo Geo Pocket and Game.com have absolute shit screens, very blurry and have seriously slow response time.
Are original NGPs easy and cheap to find? I've always wanted to get one with all the original NGP games.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
the NGP systems should still be ok price wise, but the games not so much...

nio

Cheng's Errand Boy
I got a wine red swanchridtsl. I dont really like the color and need some game to start with, the flashmaster already arrived. Thanks gor the tip

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I'm thinking of buying a WS Flash Masta. All the good WonderSwan games are so expensive now, it wouldn't take long to hit the $100 price tag of the Flash Masta. Can anyone recommend it to me?