Wonderswan

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I can wait! And maybe I should sell Maikamura to pay for the flash cart in the meantime.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Blimey! Swan Crystals have certainly shot up in price since the last time I looked. I've pondered over getting one several times over the years.... maybe I should have bitten sooner.

Color systems are vastly more affordable, but I'm concerned about the screen quality.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I was looking at these a few months back. How can one tell if the system is actually a "crystal" system, opposed to a system that is just a crystal color, like crystal black?

I see some of these crystal systems are like $100.00, and some are around $500.00.

What is a fair price to pay for a loose actual crystal system with the good screen and battery holder/cover?

-SD-

Camel Slug
The colour systems have a white screen bezel with 'Color' printed at the top. Crystals have a black bezel with 'Swan Crystal' printed between the direction controls.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
I got one with a pile of games on yaj for under 100 shipped. I would start looking for a deal there.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
What is a fair price to pay for a loose actual crystal system with the good screen and battery holder/cover?
Depends on condition and luck. Mine is pretty banged up, but the screen has only got a few scratches - cost me $72 shipped with FF1 in November (ebay)...

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
There isca metaljesus winderswan vid now...

This shouldn't annoy me as much as it does....but it does

Also, I've been playing a LOT of Judgement Silversword lately and went ahead and bought a front-lit crystal of YAJ....sigh, I didn't need to eat and pay bills anyway.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Here's my crystal with light mod. It's definitely more playable in low light situations, but it's a bit white washed.

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

This is black background on white text.

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

And another one with colours.

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
looks good. Also what loli said.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Noice, XX did it for my NGPC and it's a nice alternative to have as long as you can turn the light off or just have a second WS.

I got both Crystal and Color, just a handful of games but my favorite game, or the one I've put more time into is Tekken Card Challenge, it's pretty cool and although it looks like the language barrier can be a problem, it's actually very playable, total recommend.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
How did you do your light mod?

it's been about 5-7 years, so i honestly dont remember any good details. I would not be able to do it again. I'm not even sure if I did this one.

Last edited:

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
i recommend the crystal 100% i miss mine i am interested in getting back in after seeing metal jesus rocks do a video on it brought back fond memories and this new cart sounds promising

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I was thinking of grabbing a Wonderswan but am sorta confused by the models. Any recommendations on which model to get? Is there a backlit one?

Is it worth getting into or are the games too expensive now?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I was thinking of grabbing a Wonderswan but am sorta confused by the models. Any recommendations on which model to get? Is there a backlit one?

Is it worth getting into or are the games too expensive now?

-Don't get a black and white
-The Wonderswan Color is cheap and readily available, but the screen isn't great. The Swancrystal screen is much better, but the system is also much more expensive
-There are no stock backlit or frontlit models. You have to get them modded if you want a frontlight.
-There are plenty of cheap, quality games that are playable with no knowledge of Japanese. Some of the standout titles are really expensive (Dicing Knight and Judgement Silversword) and some moderately expensive good games (Makai-Mura, Rockman and Forte, Klonoa) but there are a lot of good games for under $20

I would recommend getting a cheap, used Wonderswan Color and a few cheap games, and see if you like it. From there you can branch out into mods or the Swancrystal if you're into it.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
The screen is less visible on 90% of games on the monochrome versus the Color, let alone the Crystal. I have a monochrome, a stock color, and a frontlit color and the monochrome looks worse for every game except Makai-Mura.

I have all the Game Boys and I never play my original, Pocket, or Light. Too much blur. It's the Color or Super Game Boy II for Game Boy games and the micro for GBA.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Well I'd say you're a write-off, if you can't even stand a Game Boy Pocket. I use mine a lot, the Pocket would be perfect if it weren't for the crap battery life. 20 hours, my ass, more like 2 hours. If a person likes the Game Boy Pocket, then the B&W Wonderswan is very playable.

That said, the original Neo Geo Pocket and Game.com have absolute shit screens, very blurry and have seriously slow response time.

famicommander

15 Year Member
It's not that I can't stand a Game Boy Pocket, it's that I can't think of a reason to use it instead of a Color or Super Game Boy II. It's worse in every measurable way except size. I had one when I was a kid and it was great at the time, but these days there are many better ways to play Game Boy games. The original GBA, SP, SP mk 2, SGB2, and Light are all better options than a Pocket, just like a monochrome Wonderswan is the worst option for playing Wonderswan games. The older systems were fine in their day but if you're getting into Game Boy, NGPC, or WS now there's no reason to buy the worst models of each.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I disagree on Wonderswan. The Crystal, being over $100 now, isn't a great option unless you have a lot of color games. If what you have most of is B&W games, they are worse on the Wonderswan Color and wasted on the Crystal. The B&W Wonderswan is very cheap, about $10 - $20. I'd say it's much better value than the Crystal if you like B&W Wonderswan games.

The Game Boy Color is nice, but I find the postage stamp-sized screen to be a letdown. I like that the Pocket has a bigger screen. The Super Game Boy 2 is tethered to a home console, unless maybe you have a portable SNES clone, but that's just ridiculous.

Also, the original GBA has a completely horrible screen, it's second only to the Wonderswan Color in darkness and unreflectiveness (actually, the WSC is a bit more reflective). The original SP is okay, sort of blue-ish though. The SP2 looks great until you ask it for motion, I find the response time to be annoyingly slow. It's just slow enough that if you play an original Game Boy (Color) game, the pixels will become misshapen.