World Cup 2014 BRASIL

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
That's not ironic.

Ironic is that you won't send me your contact information for the pizza...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I just don't think it was egregious enough to warrant a straight red card. Granted, this is coming from a long-suffering Leeds Utd fan who grew up watching the likes of Vinnie Jones and other physically intimidating players. I'm glad FIFA has apparently relaxed their attitude towards discipline and encouraged a more balanced approach for refs.

Ignoring the number of concussions we have witnessed in this tournament...

Soccer is definitely a contact sport, but at this rate, FIFA wont exist in 20 years. They aren't protecting the players - the FAs are doing a better job of that. And when clubs start suing FIFA for lost players, it will get worse.

Kramer was a wreck after that hit. That could have been even worse if he didn't get pulled off the field when he fell down again.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
Ironic is that you won't send me your contact information for the pizza...

It may be hard for you to believe, but I am trying to reduce my inane posting. Dr. Rusty Trombone was a fine username and I would like it back.

Kramer was a wreck after that hit.

He sure was. Looked like he was going to throw up.

It should be simple. Have an independent medical examiner there. Don't allow a player on the field if the medical examiner indicates the possibility of concussion. Have a mandatory waiting period where the medical examiner assesses the injury. If the player is deemed to be concussed, award a free substitution.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
What a night, what a party... after shooting my celebration firework mini show I grabbed my jacket and went to town. Met some friends and drank a few glasses with them. Tens of thousands of people, Deutschland flags everywhere, fireworks, beer, happy faces... it still feels kinda unreal. Came back at half past five in the morning, my head feels like Kramer's now. Even my boss who is not a real football fan watched the match and celebrated with his people, he's still in bed so chances are that I will get a day off today... :)

This was a tough game but also as fair as a WC final can be. I think that overall we won fair, square and deserved. Yeah, only one goal, but hey, whoever thought this would be another Brasil 7:1 obviously didn't watch Argentina's other matches. Argentina showed very good team play, it's nothing like Portugal or Brasil who seem to be dependent one or two superstars. Excellent defensive work, Messi also is awesome and amazingly fast, what a player.

I wonder whether Klose will be part of the team for Euro 2018 in France... he'd be 38 then. His team mates already call him "Opa" (grandad)...

God, I'm happy but tired... adrenaline is gone...

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Great overtime finish. Does the scorer gets free beer for life? XD

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
A deserved win from Germany there, I'm excited to watch what that team accomplishes in the future. I didn't have internet or a tv for a few days, and was chuffed to hear the Netherlands beat Brasil! :)

I have to wait about a month until everyone's favourite money-driven corporate shite-fest the Premier League starts again. Zabaleta and Aguero shouldn't have been sad they missed out on the World Cup: plenty of silverware that they can easily win this coming season!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The awards were a bit silly. Best goalkeeper was Tim Howard, but as usual the award goes to the goaltender with the best defense and midfield in front of him...

Pogba didn't deserve best young player. He was sloppier than an aids hooker. Varane was a better choice. But the award seemed like a consolation to France for being a massive let down after the first two matches.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The awards were a bit silly. Best goalkeeper was Tim Howard, but as usual the award goes to the goaltender with the best defense and midfield in front of him...

Pogba didn't deserve best young player. He was sloppier than an aids hooker. Varane was a better choice. But the award seemed like a consolation to France for being a massive let down after the first two matches.

The golden glove just looks a bit rapey, I wouldn't want that hanging around my house.

article-0-1F9F8A6600000578-936_634x435.jpg

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Messi wasn't player of the tournament. I would have given that to Muller, Rodriguez, Robben. Messi had critical goals in the group stages but Argentina's game were all within a single goal, and through every game Messi appeared hamstrung.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
I loved it when everyone was booing Blatter. I wouldn't have shaken his hand at all.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I loved it when everyone was booing Blatter. I wouldn't have shaken his hand at all.

The whole event was sullied every time his face appeared. If he had even the slightest inkling of love for the game left in his festering corpse of a body he'd crawl into a ditch and bury himself (arguably) alive.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

I think they (the Brazilian people) booed the Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff, not Blatter, even though he would have deserved it as well.

The golden glove for Neuer is in order I think. What he did in the Ghana match alone was worth it. He not only is a simple goalie but a libero, defense player and goalie in one, that's a quality level which is unmatched in international footie, and I'm not saying this because he's German.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think they (the Brazilian people) booed the Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff, not Blatter, even though he would have deserved it as well.

The golden glove for Neuer is in order I think. What he did in the Ghana match alone was worth it. He not only is a simple goalie but a libero, defense player and goalie in one, that's a quality level which is unmatched in international footie, and I'm not saying this because he's German.

Didn't break any records. Howard did, without guys like Lahm or Hummels to help.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
To go even further - Neuer didn't even have to handle a single pk contest. Not even sure if he had a pk!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Not to take away from what he did in regulation. But in regulation is was as good as Cillesson.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
A good goalie gets defined by the difficulty level of the kicks he actually holds (thus gaining initiative and giving his team a counter chance) instead of just letting it rebound from your fists or arms. I was a goalie for 10 years at a local amateur club and that's the first thing they tell you. There's more you have to do as a goalie than just keeping your box clean and kicking the ball over the field. Why do you think Hummels and Lahm are so effective? Because Neuer is behind them and interacts with them to organize his part of the defense.

If you've played on that position as well like I did, you can only admire Neuer's skills, he is the best one ever, and that's not only my personal opinion, just read some sports papers and see what old and current goalies have to say about him.

Howard is an excellent goalie, great positioning and reaction. He'll be a real asset to the US team for years to come, that goes without saying, but he's got to hone his skills a little more.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Enke would have been as effective for Germany. The defensive line is more important than the keeper.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Rest in peace, Robert...

Good man, yeah, but again, he never was as deeply involved in the defense game than Neuer. Manuel is absolutely amazing in this regard.

Oh, and the goalie is part of the defense line, just sayin'... :)