worst game of this generation? Easily GT5 (IMO)

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Recently took it back to walmart with the receipt hoping I could trade it for another used game of equal value...the guy said no because I already "opened" it.

So I said "here, you can have it... and keep my 20bucks" and the guy said "haha ok!"

So then I say "hold on, let me check the disc"

I took that POS out of its case and started bending the fuck out of it (fucking trash couldn't even snap in half correctly), and after that, I took out the manual and tore it up...they stood there looking at me like I was nuts and he told me I could have put it up on ebay....at that point I fucking HULKED OUT and ripped the plastic case down the middle and told them to have fun with it.

I don't have time to fuck around on ebay and rook some poor asshole out of 20 bucks...

Am I just crazy or was GT5 the worst fucking thing ever?

-I tried to boot up the game, it tells me it won't boot until I do a 1 gig installation

-then the game boots up and says it needs to install another 10 gigs, so I try that and it takes at least 3 minutes just to load the fucking progress bar before installing this shit for anywhere between 4 hours and several weeks

-so I tried playing without it and it was obviously unbearable so after installing the 10 gigs the race tracks still took pretty fucking long to load and once in a while it still said "installing" in the corner.

When does it fucking end?

-I play the game offline, it asks if I want to sign into PSN, I say NO, then I go into GT mode and again it asks me if I want to sign into PSN and again I tell it a resounding FUCK NO.

-if I try to go online and it tells me it can't unless I download EIGHT 1.2gig updates and then install them, which in itself is another ordeal entirely.

-and then finally, the straw that broke the camels back...without warning, in the middle of a race it asks me if I want to download that 8 gig "patch" and while that happened I went from 3rd place to 12th.

Piece of shit....

Am I just crazy? maybe I don't know wtf I'm doing or did anyone else feel the same way?

Forza looks like it rolls its dick in tar and broken beer bottles and just fucks gt5 up the ass with it.

Last edited:

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Wow. Glad I stuck to arcadey shit like Outrun 2.

That sounds awful

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Yea fuck GT. My synopsis of every GT:

Speed up on straight away, oh shit a corner, better slow down to 5 miles an hour, SSSSCCCRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH, speed back up on straight away

Yea you get the picture. I understand the whole simulator aspect, it's just no fun for me.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'd probably be more into the whole simulator thing if I didn't already own an actual car.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Yea fuck GT. My synopsis of every GT:

Speed up on straight away, oh shit a corner, better slow down to 5 miles an hour, SSSSCCCRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH, speed back up on straight away

Yea you get the picture. I understand the whole simulator aspect, it's just no fun for me.

if you are dropping to 5 mph in a corner you are doing it wrong.

gt5 was a bit of a step back for the series (the lack of brake adjustment pissed me off pretty good), but its a pretty awesome game overall if you are into the simulation stuff. Yes the install and patches were/are a pain in the ass. spoons biggest issue is getting into it so late after all the updates have happened already and now he has to play catch up with all the updates.

the whole point of the game is to be fairly realistic. Forza is pretty great in its own right, but in terms of the feeling of really driving, the gt series still has it. If you are playing with a regular controller, you wont be happy. you need a decent wheel/shifter/pedal set to really see how deep that game goes. thats a pretty big investment, so if you arent into driving games you might not dig it. I still play that game and i have nearly everything completed. its a game that rewards practice. you cant just jump into it and expect to be great. I like it because i can see how cars i dont have or could never afford handle. One of my cars is one of the available rides in gt5 and i was astounded as to how it really does handle in the game like it does in real life. If you like realistic driving, it's great. If not, might i suggest a need for speed or a midnight club game? maybe you'll have more fun.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I can see why car buffs would have an orgasm with all the stuff they could do in the game, but for me I'm playing a video game. I don't want that much reality. I'll just stick to Sega made racers like Outrun and Daytona for my racing fix.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Seriously though, I was supremely disappointed with GT5. I remember taking it home, and the eta for the install was so long that I had to let it run over night since I had to work the next day. I didn't get to play till the next night, and when I did, I found the tracks/environments/textures were shit, but the biggest insult of all was the fact that after aaaaaaaalllllllll that fucking dev time (some bullshit like 5 or 6 years), they copped out on any car model that wasn't made in the last few years and used slightly polished GT4 car models. Fucking ridiculous that over 3/4 of all the cars in the game use shinier PS2 graphics.
That game is an abomination.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Trade for another used game? You're able to trade gamestop style, but only with unopened games?

But, that update thing. I completely understand what you did to the disc with the constant nagging to update. It'd be one thing for prompt when you turn the game on. But, if you're just playing locally, don't interrupt the race to ask to download nearly ten gigs of data. That's just annoying.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I like it, it was a good value to me... but I have a steering wheel and I skipped GT4 years ago. I imagine both of those factors enhanced my experience by quite a bit.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
cant call gt5 the worst game this generation when there are games like sniper ghost warrior out there.
Gt5 is possibly the worst experience sure.But that type of experience is not limited to Gt5 on ps3. there are many. If you buy a game a couple of months after it comes out forget about it DL's, and installs out the ass.
If you actually spent the 2 days to get it running its actually a pretty neat game.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Just stick to Ridge Racer boys

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
ridge racer ain't been the same since 4

or 5, hell i never played 5, wish i did

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
And electricity too! Pretty sweet, eh? :D

Shut_the_front_door_mug_cozy2.jpg

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Recently took it back to walmart with the receipt hoping I could trade it for another used game of equal value...the guy said no because I already "opened" it.

So I said "here, you can have it... and keep my 20bucks" and the guy said "haha ok!"

So then I say "hold on, let me check the disc"

I took that POS out of its case and started bending the fuck out of it (fucking trash couldn't even snap in half correctly), and after that, I took out the manual and tore it up...they stood there looking at me like I was nuts and he told me I could have put it up on ebay....at that point I fucking HULKED OUT and ripped the plastic case down the middle and told them to have fun with it.

Have you considered anger management?

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Have you considered anger management?

i sound mad in that post but irl i wrecked the disc quite calmly and politely threw it in the trash afterwards.

work is just running me ragged is all....and for 2 nights straight, the 2 hours I have to myself before I go to sleep were spent installing and downloading. By the third night after a horrible days work I got that prompt in the middle of a race for an 8 gig download and I lost it after that.

The game should come with its own IT department or something. Waaaaay more bullshit than it's worth.

And IcBlUsCrN put it quite succinctly when he said its not necessarily a bad game so much as its just an awful experience.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
I love the fact that it took PD years to make a half dolled-up racing game with circa 1998 gameplay, and there are still people trying to defend it. The Forza series is superior in virtually every way, and doesn’t require the player to tend to the game like it’s a newly born child. GT5 isn’t just shit; it’s a painful, lava-like liquid shit at your friend’s house, with his hot sister accidentally walking in on you.

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
I liked the part where he broke the game, made a completely misleading thread and said the game was the worst game of this generation.

That was the best.