Worst game system ever made

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcat

do not trade with, SCAMMER
Sorry if this has been asked before.Whats the worst game system ever made?

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
everyones opinion will differ, but I'd vote for Jaguar or Virtual boy.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
I think Jaguar and Virtual Boy are both highly underrated systems. There's people that will tell you Neo Geo is the worst system ever made. Insanely overpriced games and hardware, and a software library consisting of mainly SF2 era ripoffs.

soopafamicom

Windjammers Wonder
Xbox.

Virtually no good exclusive titles and one of the worst controllers since the Phillips Videopac system.

All people buy them for it to run romz on, says a lot for the games that are made for it doesn't it?

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Yeah some systems I really hated but too many games came out for them to be called the worsed.. unlike the jaguar

but who remembers the amstrad gx4000 ?

Started off well with a great UBI soft tennis plus robocop 2, the orion logo was pretty cool as was the music and good old navy seals but the pads were crap and after a few months the only way you could get the few new games that were coming out were through specialst magazines, a big time disaster

Last edited:

djrconsoles kr1

Astra Superstar
Ive owned a few over the years (like most of us) but for me, the worst system Ive ever played on unfortunately would be the jaguar. I say unfortunately because for some reason I do actually like the system, but the controller is the worst Ive ever used and the games(apart from AvP) did nothing but disappoint me over and over again.

I also didnt like my 3DO either

steve11

Morden's Lackey
All cheap shots at jaguar 3do and other such flops asside, I'd have to say the N64. That console and the fuck ups around it cost nintendo the market and third party support. Greatest fuck up in gaming history.

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
3DOMan said:
I think Jaguar and Virtual Boy are both highly underrated systems. There's people that will tell you Neo Geo is the worst system ever made. Insanely overpriced games and hardware, and a software library consisting of mainly SF2 era ripoffs.

thats why its really all down to preference.

Looking at the big picture though, I'm fairly sure if there was a poll at a site like gamespot or ign - Jaguar and/or virtual boy would rank up there with the 'worst'. AES probably wouldn't be one of the best, but I doubt it would be voted one of the worst either.

steve11

Morden's Lackey
djrconsoles kr1 said:
really? even worse than the 32x?:spock: which I appreciate os an add-on, but that was a disaster

In retrospect yes, far worse.

Nintendo was working on a CD systems for the SNES with Philips, Philips backed out so Nintendo started working with Sony. Then Nintendo backed out to make the N64, Sony completed the system and called it the playstation... then managed to steal all the great Nintendo exclusives from third parties (metal gear, FF, castlevania, mega man, blah blah) and Nintendo went from king of the moutain to begging for scraps that Sony cast off.

The N64 was a complete disaster.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
definitely the early revision PS2's and virtual boy.

Hardware design speaking: the Super Nintendo

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
The Jaguar has some good games... Although it was initially a disappointement for me at the start. :P

The VB has some great games as well... I found that the easiest way to play the system is to lie down and then have the game rest on you. It works fairly well... :P

I bought the 3D0 for full-price (FZ-1) and I was impressed at the time, I still enjoy it.

With all that said, the "CDTV" didn't impress me much... The CD^32 was a better attempt.

Can't say I was too impressed with the CDi... Although I've never played with one.

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
steve11 said:
In retrospect yes, far worse.

Nintendo was working on a CD systems for the SNES with Philips, Philips backed out so Nintendo started working with Sony. Then Nintendo backed out to make the N64, Sony completed the system and called it the playstation... then managed to steal all the great Nintendo exclusives from third parties (metal gear, FF, castlevania, mega man, blah blah) and Nintendo went from king of the moutain to begging for scraps that Sony cast off.

Yeah, remember reading about that. Had that SNES-Playstation hybrid materialized, that would have been the ultimate console (for me at least, combining my two favorite systems).

from Wikipedia said:
Sony also planned to develop another, Nintendo compatible, Sony-branded console, but one which would be more of a home entertainment system playing both Super Nintendo cartridges and a new CD format which Sony would design. This was also to be the format used in SNES-CD discs, giving a large degree of control to Sony despite Nintendo's leading position in the video gaming market.

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

neoruins

n00b
Worst video games console... What a hard one, see there's crappy consoles out there but there might be a few things on them that you really like. I'd say Jaguar was pretty bad as it was advertised as 64bit and games looked like crap (worse than 32bit PlayStation). One thing that did have though was a fairly alright version of Doom.

Probably Jaguar though, just a failure in the end but it has its fans. I had a 3DO and loved that, specially the excellent FIFA game on that system.

Last edited:

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
steve11 said:

And what a wonderful disaster it was! The N64 had a great library.

I'd have to give worst game system award to Jaguar.

soopafamicom

Windjammers Wonder
68HC000 said:
Hardware design speaking: the Super Nintendo

That depends on where you live though as the jap/euro snes is a brilliant design, although the snes 2/jr/mini is an ugly thing.

The US 'purple breezeblock' is admittedly one ugleeee bastiche but you can play jap games without the need for a converter.

If we are going go down the design route and not on what the machine can do,then I would say -

3Do - milkcrate
ps2 -car stereo amp
NES toploader - words escape me on what they hell the deigners were on!
Lynx either version - again, WTF!!!
xbox - just horrible from every aspect.
TG16 - another example like the us snes/jap sfc remodelling
X'Eye
Wondermega 1 & 2
Supergrafx - looks like it had been stolen from the Alien filmset.

masschamber

NEST Puppet
15 Year Member
Everyone that says jag ,virtual boy, and most anything else don't know anything
the jag has tempest, missile command, raiden, avp, rayman, wolfenstein, and the iron soldiers
virtual boy hurts the eyes, well that's its big flaw the small library is quite solid,
if your going to say a system that you haven't even used extensively is bad at least go after the real losers like the memorex vis, or the philips cd-i
however there is a system that goes beyond bad one that has nothing going for it, so worthless one might wonder why they ever even bothered, the worst system no question, no differences in opinions allowed is the

RCA Studio 2, worst controller, worst graphics and sounds(no color when even the fairchild had color), it wasn't even the first progamable system

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
soopafamicom said:
Lynx either version - again, WTF!!!

The Lynx did have one good thing going for it. It was "flippable" to play left or right-handed.

steve11

Morden's Lackey
cafu1982 said:
Yeah, remember reading about that. Had that SNES-Playstation hybrid materialized, that would have been the ultimate console (for me at least, combining my two favorite systems).

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Yeah it's one of those things that looking back on it you just shake your head and laugh.

And what a wonderful disaster it was! The N64 had a great library.

True. However it also managed to take Nintendo from #1 to #3 in the console market, tank their 3 rd party support (which caused their loss of position), and make Sony #1.

I love my n64.... but for Nintendo it was a cluster fuck.

J. Max

judas,
It's hard to pick the single worst...here are my candidates:

Game.com - This was a stupid idea to begin with. Bad games, bad display, bad hardware...but it may not even be the worst portable ever made. That distinction may go to our next candidate:

Watara Supervison - Let's see, it's like an original pea-green Game Boy, but without the good games, FAR shorter battery life, and an even WORSE display. Terrible, terrible system.

Virtual Boy - Hideously bad system that indirectly led to the end of Gumpei Yokioi's life. I don't care if the game has a decent library, the fact that it's the only console ever to carry a warning about blinding people means that this was a very bad idea.

CDi - A lot of people will say this one, but I disqualify it due to the fact that it wasn't really designed as a game format. Some of the games on it were pretty good, there just wasn't enough.

RCA Studio II - This gets my vote. It's really not much worse technically than most of the Pong clones, but it's really bad for several reasons. First, it doesn't have controllers, just number pads, which makes most Pong-type games completely unplayable. Since Pong-type games are all that was available, I see that as a major problem. It would be like releasing a fighting game console and only allowing you to use a trackball for control. Second, the circuitry in them tends to melt if played for too long. Third, while this was released in the 70s, it is one UGLY looking machine. Fourth, it was EXPENSIVE, compared to other Pomg consoles and even the Atari 2600.

Those of you saying idiotic things like "Teh XBOX" are fanboy idiots who need to shut up and quit trolling. The N64 was a bad business decision, but an OK machine with a good library. Same thing with the 3DO, 32X, and Sega CD.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
If were allowed to mention handhelds i'm gona have to go Nokia n gage.

As for home consoles I would have to say the neo geo AES system.
PURE GARBAGE!

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
You know what's funny? Around here I see all of this Jaguar, 3DO, and Virtual Boy bashing.

On other forums, Neo Geo often comes up as the most poorly marketed and supported game system ever :o

Anyway, what's with all the negativity and bashing? Could we not have a "Best game system ever" thread?

Since I am a collector, I tend to look at every system in a positive light. Jaguar did have an awkward controller, however, there are some great games for the system. Some of my favorites are Super Burnout, Atari Karts, Power Drive Rally, and Dino Dudes. Iron Soldier and Cybermorph are half decent, despite some gameplay issues. I'm not real crazy about the Jaguar version of Doom, since there is no music. Wolfensitein 3D is decent, but has some control problems.

Virtual Boy's main downfall was the health concerns related to "Virtual Reality" gaming(even though Virtual Boy wasn't technically a true VR interface). That would explain it's lack of quality software support. However, there were some very fun games for the system, including Wario Land, Galactic Pinball, and Teleroboxer. As long as you take the recommended break every 20 minutes, you can have fun playing Virtual Boy.

As far as 3DO, the hardware was very impressive for the time, but I admit software support was less than impressive. My favorite games are Return Fire 1 and 2, Shockwave, Super SF2 Turbo, and Gex. The standard 3DO controller is garbage, the only controller released for the system that is any good is the Street Fighter controller.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
That depends on where you live though as the jap/euro snes is a brilliant design, although the snes 2/jr/mini is an ugly thing.

Well not so much in case design, but the design of the hardware itself.

A woefully slow 16 bit 6502 hack that runs at 3.58 MHz, and crawls down to 1.79 MHz when accessing some registers. To me, there is no excuse for technology like this in a game system from 1990. Hell, most *audio* processors in other consoles ran as fast as it's CPU.

I'll give them props, games on the SNES look pretty good, but these games had extra help from extra hardware in the cartridges.

Did you know Super Mario RPG and a few other games have a 65c816 CPU in the cartridges that runs at 10 MHz? It actually bypasses the onboard SNES CPU and the 10 MHz CPU is used...weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.