Would you buy one of Stealthlurker's cabs for $2000-$4000 EACH???

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
He was probably 2 months short of turning 46. He died of a stroke.
Wow. That is rough for his family. My bad - when I read engineer at Boeing I imagined someone a bit older. He must have loved collecting if he was working full time and doing all that.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Was stealthlurker that old? Or did something happen?

Edit: he was a bored rich old dude. That makes sense.
He was a collecter who had a genuine passion for the gaming hobby...he strived for perfection in my estimation,OCD style which is why anything that is offered up from his stash is probably worth the money.
BB

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
In my experience working on cabs, I'll absolutely pay a premium for things like a monitor with perfect convergence and original flyback. And that extends across the whole cab into the condition of the CPO and internals. Especially for something uncommon like a candy cab.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Assuming they're in prime condition, which seems likely, you could do worse for rare japanese cabs.

Still, too rich for my blood, much as I'd love to have at least one japanese cab.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Alright, it’s showing that you guys really don’t know shit about cabs.
This dude didn’t maintain any of his stuff, most likely it’s probably on all original capacitors in the power supply and chassis, which do tend to leak. So your paying premium for a cabinet that you already have to sink more work into right off the start. He’s even said he went to lcd stuff because it takes better pictures.

This dude bought stuff to take a picture with and put it on a shelf. He didn’t play this or maintain any of it. Cabs are not consoles; they need to be serviced, and being turned on every other month for a photo shoot isn’t doing it.

You guys need to come back to reality.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The cabs pictured above look like they were purchased, cleaned, photographed and stored. There are missing and incorrect parts, original paint, yellowed plastic, etc. Nothing wrong with that but they are likely no better than average. I'm guessing the high prices might be because he imported some of them personally.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
This dude didn’t maintain any of his stuff, most likely it’s probably on all original capacitors in the power supply and chassis, which do tend to leak. So your paying premium for a cabinet that you already have to sink more work into right off the start. He’s even said he went to lcd stuff because it takes better pictures.

This dude bought stuff to take a picture with and put it on a shelf. He didn’t play this or maintain any of it. Cabs are not consoles; they need to be serviced, and being turned on every other month for a photo shoot isn’t doing it.

I could agree with this. I didn't know Stealth personally but did bullshit with him on this forum and he seemed like the kind of guy who got more a kick out of collecting vs actually playing/fiddling/fixing his stuff. It was more like eye candy to him. I remember asking him about all the stuff he would post pics of and where he was planning on putting it all and he said he was trying to replicate a VideoGame store he went to in Japan.

LordCollector

New Challenger

I'm just really happy I didn't bite into them wanting me to make a higher offer than the other interested buyer that was going to be paying $2k-$4k for each cab. I said he could have it and they should not let that buyer go and hang on to him because I thought it was too high. He then said that he still had this cab (in the pic) and asked if $3k is a fair price. That was a big negative on my part and passed on it. I guess I'm happy I let well enough alone.234144130_573335583821649_7684835154056157990_n.jpg

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member

What he said.

Julius was a nice guy with a lot of money who like weird Japanese video game stuff. He was a collector, flat out. He did indeed say he aimed to recreate a Japanese game store which is cool I guess and he had the money to do it. Now he's gone and all this shit is left.

It should absolutely not sell for a higher price just because he was kind of famous within the import/retro gaming community and is dead. That has zero bearing on the actual items. As said he also didn't maintain anything which isn't too bad for some of the stuff because it was already in nice condition for the most part. Sure it's rare but that doesn't mean the monitor is prefect etc.

I also think some you guys have no concept of just how much stuff he had. Take whatever you thought he had and multiply that by 3. Like I said on the first page this is going to be a huge pain in the ass and take years. If I was his family I wouldn't be dicking around with pricing, plus a lot of it is going to be impossible to even identify.

LordCollector

New Challenger
What he said.

Julius was a nice guy with a lot of money who like weird Japanese video game stuff. He was a collector, flat out. He did indeed say he aimed to recreate a Japanese game store which is cool I guess and he had the money to do it. Now he's gone and all this shit is left.

It should absolutely not sell for a higher price just because he was kind of famous within the import/retro gaming community and is dead. That has zero bearing on the actual items. As said he also didn't maintain anything which isn't too bad for some of the stuff because it was already in nice condition for the most part. Sure it's rare but that doesn't mean the monitor is prefect etc.

I also think some you guys have no concept of just how much stuff he had. Take whatever you thought he had and multiply that by 3. Like I said on the first page this is going to be a huge pain in the ass and take years. If I was his family I wouldn't be dicking around with pricing, plus a lot of it is going to be impossible to even identify.
Exactly!!!! When I refused to bite and give in to their outrageous prices, I was told "Thanks for your interest in Julius' PREMIUM COLLECTION!!! Obviously his dad/uncle are under the impression that the fact that the stuff was owned by their son/nephew should carry weight and make the items worth more. I did not take the bait and told them that if someone was willing to pay that much for it then he can have it and they should hang on to him and not let him go. No way I was going to get into a bidding war.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Exactly!!!! When I refused to bite and give in to their outrageous prices, I was told "Thanks for your interest in Julius' PREMIUM COLLECTION!!! Obviously his dad/uncle are under the impression that the fact that the stuff was owned by their son/nephew should carry weight and make the items worth more. I did not take the bait and told them that if someone was willing to pay that much for it then he can have it and they should hang on to him and not let him go. No way I was going to get into a bidding war.
How many times are you going to say this?

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Thanks for your interest in LordCollector's premium posts.

radiantvsgun is extremely correct about all of this. Unmaintained stuff won't be worth a premium to many people even if it was from Michael Jackson's arcade in neverland.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Well, he definitely had a nice collection of stuff. I always feel a little strange going over someone's gear when they've passed away, but it would only sit there if someone didn't buy it. I hope his family get fair prices for his collection. Is it all being sold off privately then?

LordCollector

New Challenger
Well, he definitely had a nice collection of stuff. I always feel a little strange going over someone's gear when they've passed away, but it would only sit there if someone didn't buy it. I hope his family get fair prices for his collection. Is it all being sold off privately then?
His uncle and dad have no idea about any of his stuff so asked a friend of Julius to price it for them and he seems to be pricing them high. I doubt he's into it either or he's not really knowledgable about the stuff because he has asked for my help. I think he goes by the rule that arcade cabs are big and heavy therefore they must cost $$$$$$ without any consideration as to how old they are and whatever other factors as mentioned in previous posts that may devalue them. His dad and uncle have also approached me to ask with pricing so I am working with his friend and will also give my opinion as to how much I think they are worth. I doubt they'll be pricing them low. Once they have an idea on the prices then they'll look for sellers whether online or offline or whatever gets them sold.

Last edited:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Wow. I believe we had a few transactions in the mid 2000’s. He bought some of my home carts.

Anyway, anyone know where they have these for sale? (Site?, link?) I’m in LA, if some of these cabs are in ok shape I will pay top dollar for them.

LordCollector

New Challenger
Wow. I believe we had a few transactions in the mid 2000’s. He bought some of my home carts.

Anyway, anyone know where they have these for sale? (Site?, link?) I’m in LA, if some of these cabs are in ok shape I will pay top dollar for them.
Still pricing them. A friend of Julius in SD and I are working on it. He sent me pics and a spreadsheet of the items and their suggested prices. I will also give my suggested prices and once all of this is sorted out then we will talk about how to sell them whether online or offline whatever gets them sold I guess. There's the pic of the cab I posted above (post #34) for $3k if you want it. And there's this as well for $3k. 229119222_4327900810632833_8534508595808776801_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Too bad he isn't local. A good friend of mine went part way on a half a million dollar collection...this would be right up his alley.

Jon

Rich is right! I tell you ive never felt so relieved to be out of a hobby and distanced from the people involved in it. Even years later I still feel that way and dont miss or regret a damn thing.

…well maybe I miss my playchoice red tent a bit, but thats it.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Still pricing them. A friend of Julius in SD and I are working on it. He sent me pics and a spreadsheet of the items and their suggested prices. I will also give my suggested prices and once all of this is sorted out then we will talk about how to sell them whether online or offline whatever gets them sold I guess. There's the pic of the cab I posted above (post #34) for $3k if you want it. And there's this as well for $3k.

So is Tonk involved in any of this? Earlier posts made it seem like he was 'helping' somehow.

LordCollector

New Challenger
So is Tonk involved in any of this? Earlier posts made it seem like he was 'helping' somehow.
No he isn't. Julius' uncle, dad, and the friend who's helping out don't even have an idea of who anybody is here as far as I know.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I think we're very curious to know if this "friend" IS Tonk, aka Mike, or someone that is suspiciously chummy with Tonk.