WTB: Dog

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
My family is ready for a dog. Growing up I only had cats and really have no knowledge of dogs.

Here is what I know we want:
Easy to train
Content to be an only dog (IE, we're only getting one)
Minimal shedding
Likes to play
Can't have lanolin (water dogs)
Under $1,000 for a pup
Not a small yip dog, but not a mastiff either (so a mid-size)

What type of dog am I looking for?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
How much time do you have to play with the dog? What you’re looking for sounds like it would be a working breed but those demand lots of playtime to spend their energy.

PS: my gut recommendation is a lab, retriever, or German Shepherd.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Labradors sound like the breed for you, also maybe a beagle. Both are easy to train, good with kids for social interaction, and fairly affordable.

I'm unsure as to your preferences, but the various breeds of pitbull are also an option. They have a bad rep, but honestly of all the dogs I've owned they're the most loving and caring I've ever had. They're like all other dogs,aslong as they are shown the proper social interaction and with good training, they'll come out great.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
We have a large property and kids who will give them plenty of time / attention. My wife is a stay-at-home mom so the dog will never be alone.

My wife has a strong allergy to lanolin which unfortunately labs have. Golden Retrievers only have a little, which is also steering us away from them. Golden Doodles don't have any, but from what I can tell, they can come out huge, or very small. I'd be ok w/bigger, but I really don't want a small small dog.

Beagle is one my youngest daughter has been asking about - so good to hear that might be in our alley.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
We foster with a working breed shelter.

Best advice- size, temperament, intelligence: border collie mix.

Also- dont do a beagle unless you are experienced. They are stubborn. driven by an unending need for food. not particularly bright, but super strong willed. they are tough animals to deal with.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
6oQL0d6.jpg

2 of my 3 dogs are border collie mixes. the bigger one is border collie/ boxer and is incredible. 40lb knee high. super obedient/ smart/ great with everyone. the smaller is a border collie/ corgi mix. 20 lb loaf of bread sized dog (was expecting a larger dog, but shit happens). also very smart, but he's a bit of an alpha personality.

since i started with border collie mixes the home life with dogs has been just delightful. ive had tons of dogs over the years and these guys are the best and easiest breed ive ever had to deal with.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I really wanted a shiba inu, You might find one for that much, pretty sure they meet ur criteria? Unsure about size and lanolin content. My mo has an alaskan klee kli?/ I think they cost more and have more hairs dont know if that equals shedding... A black and gold male so I could have a mini henry.._ obligatory sjw, try your shelters?+that boxer looks like he is awesome cdaam:buttrock:+all dogs are boys

Last edited:

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
We foster with a working breed shelter.

Best advice- size, temperament, intelligence: border collie mix.

Also- dont do a beagle unless you are experienced. They are stubborn. driven by an unending need for food. not particularly bright, but super strong willed. they are tough animals to deal with.

This...

Get a mutt that has some border collie in it.

Smart, sensitive, and have a want to please.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I really wanted a shiba inu, You might find one for that much, pretty sure they meet ur criteria? Unsure about size and lanolin content. My mo has an alaskan klee kli?/ I think they cost more and have more hairs dont know if that equals shedding... A black and gold male so I could have a mini henry.._ obligatory sjw, try your shelters?+that boxer looks like he is awesome cdaam:buttrock:

the bc/ boxer mix is a lady. hence the pink harness. thanks though!

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Labradors sound like the breed for you, also maybe a beagle. Both are easy to train, good with kids for social interaction, and fairly affordable.

I'm unsure as to your preferences, but the various breeds of pitbull are also an option. They have a bad rep, but honestly of all the dogs I've owned they're the most loving and caring I've ever had. They're like all other dogs,aslong as they are shown the proper social interaction and with good training, they'll come out great.

I was also going to mention a beagle but figured they might be too small. Some of them can be pretty loud too but in general they’re great. Just have to be sure to not let them get overweight or put stress on their hips.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Jack Rusell Terrier
some of them are assholes though.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
my sisters is probably the quietest dogs I've ever known
kills rats and mice like crazy (they live in the outskirts)

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Most anything from the working group is a great bet

My neighbor across the street has an Australian Shepherd, and she's an awesome dog. I haven't had a dog since I was like 11, but if I was in the market for one, that's the way I'd be leaning.

Edit:

australian-shepherd-e1519141944753.jpg

LOOK AT THAT FACE! WHO'S A GOOD PUPPY DOG?

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Get you to a shelter or a breed rescue if you're set on a certain breed, please don't pay lots of money for a doggie there are plenty of them out there already.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Great suggestions - thank you!

Chris - got your pm, will you hit you up shortly - thanks!

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Get you to a shelter or a breed rescue if you're set on a certain breed, please don't pay lots of money for a doggie there are plenty of them out there already.

Totally this!

As for breed they all have good and bad points, We have always had GSD’s though and probably always will.

Extremely loyal and protective of the family, They will only truly listen to their one master but are great family dogs despite what people think.
Also intelligent.

4e021ad736b2b8cf4b30c8e527710994.jpg

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
My neighbor across the street has an Australian Shepherd, and she's an awesome dog. I haven't had a dog since I was like 11, but if I was in the market for one, that's the way I'd be leaning.

I'd love one some day, but man those dogs are insane. They're rearing to go, 24/7. Also, I'm not sure how old Mjmjr's kids are, but herding dogs can be a bit dangerous in terms of tripping (I've tripped and fallen over my corgi several times), and for really little kids, they might be freaked out by the snipping at the heels. Same thing with blue heelers. I'm not saying they're not good family dogs, but they don't sound 100% perfect for what the family is looking for.

In terms of medium sized dogs that don't shed much, I'd also maybe look into bull terriers. They have really short coats and are good with immediate family members. They can be destructive if they don't get enough exercise and don't like other animals, but those factors may be outweighed by their affection and whatnot.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
golden / lab mix. Less health problems than most pure blood lines, learn like a champ, love kids, etc.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
+1 Border Collie.

Amazing breed of dog. You won’t regret.