WTB: Virtual boy repair

Mosque

Super Sidekicks 2
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
anyone here can fix a virtual boy? the left eye has stopped working. requires a solder job that is really tight on ribbon cables. I'm not THAT good at soldering. thanks

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
anyone here can fix a virtual boy? the left eye has stopped working. requires a solder job that is really tight on ribbon cables. I'm not THAT good at soldering. thanks

There's also an oven method, but it's not as permanent as reflowing the solder with the proper tools.

Edit: mentioned above :emb:

Last edited:

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Planetvb.com someone can help you there. The oven trick is very tricky, to avoid killing your lens. Any questions don't hesitate to PM me.

NeoTeam546

Cheng's Errand Boy
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did you try the baking method?

This does work, but when the stuff is warm/melted you have to immediately grab and put pressure on it that it makes a clean connection across the ribbon, or it could be iffy.

I got a VB that had one eye half assed, one eye dead..baked it, fixed it up better than my original VB(which was temp fixed with bake method)

The trick is you watch it thru your over door and as soon as you see the ribbon cable "lay flat" on your sheet its basically done(cause the ribbon is rigid/curled from being plugged in for 20 yrs!), give it a few more seconds then pull it out but pressure on the "joint" until it cools. DONE

Last edited:

Mosque

Super Sidekicks 2
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Dude I'm so tempted to do this. Only thing stopping me is this is my original virtual boy from 95' and I would hate to mess this up. If I don't find someone to help I'm gonna use the heat method. Thanks to all for the help so far!

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
So, two things. There should be at least two guys on planetvb.com that do the solder method, which will make the lens last for a very long time. I believe DogP did mine a few years ago. The other is the oven method. There is a few videos on it, the biggest thing is the heat setting, the foil on the pan and being able to look into the oven (clear window). When you see the curl on the "lens" ribbon start to lay flat, you know the solder has loosen up enough. Wait 5-10 seconds then take it out. It may be a little warm, but not too much. Then you want to wrap the solder area tight with tape to keep it together firmly while it cools. I've gone the oven trick for a few users on planetvb as well as ebay and only one user had an issue, but I think they pulled the damn ribbon apart lol.

Good luck either way you go. The oven trick took me about 1min 35 sec in the oven after preheating and another 5 seconds to wrap it up.

Mosque

Super Sidekicks 2
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Awesome info guys! I'll try to see if this "JetBlue" will fix it. Does he do the solder method?