X68000 Help

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I've got a small update. I did figure out that none of the devices I was using was able to display the X68000's non-standard signal on any of my HDMI TV's or monitors. I found some advice online, and was able to get a picture by running the OSSC through the Framemeister. This has gotten us back to an error screen that I recognize from back when the machine was working:

View attachment 52499

Unfortunately, putting bootable disks in the system does nothing. I'm following some advice from this page, and I've gotten nowhere. I just replaced the SRAM battery, but that hasn't helped:

The disk drives won't boot any bootable disks. After a hard power up, the drives make one tick, and then stop. Both drives have power, are able to eject. Holding Opt 1 or CLR at boot both don't do anything. And I can't do the more involved SRAM reset instructions because my disk drives aren't doing anything.
I'd also use a multimeter and check the traces near the SRAM. I googled it a bit more...seems like someone else had this same issue and found their actual RAM had gone bad as well and was causing read/write errors on boot

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
This isn't related to the subject at hand, and I apologize for that, but what is an appropriate price for one of these nowadays?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'd also use a multimeter and check the traces near the SRAM. I googled it a bit more...seems like someone else had this same issue and found their actual RAM had gone bad as well and was causing read/write errors on boot
Any help locating the SRAM? Usually on the bottom board near the battery?

Thanks!

Neo Alec

20 Year Member

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Sounds about right. Awesome stuff.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Have you done this? The guide is not easy for me to follow. Not sure if I should buy the SCSI2SD? Can you run it straight from USB, or do you need a HDD? For me, it's quite a bit of time and money for something that may not even work.

Yes, this is the setup I use with my X68000. You flash an image to a MicroSD card, and then the computer sees it as a hard drive. You boot off the drive and run all of the games from there-it’s fast, convenient, and best of all you won’t need to use floppies for anything after the initial configuration is complete.

Strongly recommend a SCSI2SD setup for all X68k users.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Yes, this is the setup I use with my X68000. You flash an image to a MicroSD card, and then the computer sees it as a hard drive. You boot off the drive and run all of the games from there-it’s fast, convenient, and best of all you won’t need to use floppies for anything after the initial configuration is complete.

Strongly recommend a SCSI2SD setup for all X68k users.
Thanks. Which one should I get?

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
It's easier to attach it outside the computer through the external SCSI port on the back. The SCSI cable provides both power and data, so you don't have to worry about powering the SCSI2SD seperately.

This model already has the SCSI2SD in a nice plastic shell. All you need is a SCSI cable to go from the DB25 port on the SCSI2SD to the SCSI port on the back of your X68000.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
It's easier to attach it outside the computer through the external SCSI port on the back. The SCSI cable provides both power and data, so you don't have to worry about powering the SCSI2SD seperately.

This model already has the SCSI2SD in a nice plastic shell. All you need is a SCSI cable to go from the DB25 port on the SCSI2SD to the SCSI port on the back of your X68000.
That's out of stock. So that one doesn't need the adapter? Oh, I get it. You're saying buy a SCSI to DB25 cable.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I fixed the X68000! Found some corroded solder points near the battery. Guess I just needed the motivation to get my hands dirty.

Now I shouldn't have any problem adding an external SD drive soon.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I fixed the X68000! Found some corroded solder points near the battery. Guess I just needed the motivation to get my hands dirty.

Now I shouldn't have any problem adding an external SD drive soon.
Awesome. Not surprised either. Those can be tricky. I wonder if Anyone has done a FRAM mod for the 68000 yet

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Finally picking up the SCSI2SD. Anyone know a good place to buy the "50 pin to 25 pin SCSI adapter"/SASI-SCSI (needed to connect the SCSI2SD to my X68K Ace) in the US?

I tried ordering from here. Fingers crossed it shows up:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Finally picking up the SCSI2SD. Anyone know a good place to buy the "50 pin to 25 pin SCSI adapter"/SASI-SCSI (needed to connect the SCSI2SD to my X68K Ace) in the US?

I tried ordering from here. Fingers crossed it shows up:

That adapter is nowhere to be found in Japan or elsewhere. My order got canceled. I ended up just buying a SCSI Cn50 to DB25 pin Cable and coupler instead.