Xbox 360 wifi

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
My 360 has suddenly decided it doesn't want to connect to the internet anymore. It will discover the router, but it won't connect to the internet.

I've tried all the obvious stuff - power off router, reset 360 cache, manaully enter IP address etc, check router settings. Literally nothing works. Oh yes, wifi signal is at max 100% so it's not signal strength either.

The only thing I can't do is connect via ethernet cable as I don't have 50 foot long cable just knocking around my house and taking the 360 to the router isn't an option as there are no portable TVs in the house for me to see the display.

Any suggestions as to why it's just suddenly stopped working? Non of my other consoles have an issue with their wifi (PS3, PS4, PS5, Wii, Switch) just the 360 - which was connecting fine last time I switched it on.

So annoying.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Maybe the Wifi Receiver has gone bad? Which model 360 do you have?

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Are using Xfinity? I've had the same issue for multiple 360 systems and the only way I got it working was using the external 360 Wifi adaptor.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
maybe buy a cheap plug power line to ethernet adapter, you’ll get better latency as well for all your 360 online gaming needz

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Nope. Can you still even get those wifi adapters?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
maybe buy a cheap plug power line to ethernet adapter, you’ll get better latency as well for all your 360 online gaming needz
I only need it to work to get some of the dlc I've already got downloaded working.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Newer 5g routers might not work for a 360 without the 2.4ghz band [AP] enabled. Usually an easy fix. My old router broadcast 2 SSIDs, one for each.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
What is the error you receive when it fails to connect?
Just says failed to connect to internet. It'll connect to wifi, but then won't connect to the net, and by extension XBL.

I'll try and get a photo later... I've kind of given up with it right now. I can still play Daytona so that's one thing :)

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Are using Xfinity? I've had the same issue for multiple 360 systems and the only way I got it working was using the external 360 Wifi adaptor.
Same here.

The little jawn that clips on the back of the 360.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It seems like wifi antennas usually have a limited lifespan. I hope yours isn't done.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I only need it to work to get some of the dlc I've already got downloaded working.
Can you just take your Xbox to a friend or relative's house with a more accessible wired connection and download your shit there? Might be easier than buying something to fix it for what could be a one time use.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
There's nothing to download, it's just that some of the games won't work unless they've got a feed to XBL... I dunno, I didn't design it.

It's not the end of the world, it's just irritating when you've paid for something and can't access it due to the stupid archietecture of the system.

Just says failed to connect to internet. It'll connect to wifi, but then won't connect to the net, and by extension XBL.

I'll try and get a photo later... I've kind of given up with it right now. I can still play Daytona so that's one thing :)
Have you tried resetting your network connection settings back to factory?

I'm not sure if this info is still valid as it is pretty old, but give it a shot

1: Reset the wireless network settings
Reset the console’s network settings to the defaults. Here’s how:

1. Unplug the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter from the USB port if you are using one.
  2. Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings.
  3. Select Network Settings.
  4. Select your wireless network name, if you are prompted to do so.
  5. Select Configure Network.
  6. On the Additional Settings tab, select Restore to Factory Defaults. When you are prompted, select Yes, restore factory defaults.

Note This resets ONLY the network settings and not other console settings.
  7. Turn off your console.
  8. If you are using an Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter, plug it back into the USB port.
  9. Turn on your console.

You should receive a message about configuring your wireless adapter. Follow the on-screen instructions to configure your wireless settings.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Tried another AP? See if it connects to your phone hotspot.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I had the same issue about a year ago. I assumed it was my external wifi adapter until I noticed I had the same issue on a separate 360 with an internal wifi adapter. It ended up being my router, which was extremely odd as the 360s were the only devices in the entire house that has developed an issue. Replaced the router and have had zero issues since.

I'd definitely do like Lach suggested and try connecting thru your phone's hotspot; that would help eliminate a lot of variables.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I’d just buy the cable. Cheap, simple, %100 effective, zero brain power needed.

I had a similar issue with my PS3 when I bought the last generation AirPort Extreme. There was some setting that had to be flipped back and forth to get it working right and then had to be put back for normal web shit. It bugged me a lot because the last Apple router didn’t do this. I just plugged it directly and now it doesn’t have an issue.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Had the same issue when i had my Xbox installed in my Vewlix, the console just would not connect to any internet. I used a MoCa adapter to use my coaxial cable as an Ethernet source, depending on how your router is fed signal. Worked like a charm since then.

MoCA 2.5 with 2 Gigabit Ethernet Ports - Ethernet Over Coaxial Adapter (2 Pack) | Model: TL-MC84 https://a.co/d/dwOHFBp

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Shotgun blast of suggestions:

Did you check the IP address isn't being duplicated by another device connected to your network?
Can you possibly connect the system with ethernet, at least briefly, to see if it can connect online that way? Then restest wirelessly?
Would you be willing to open up your system to remove/reinsert your USB wifi connector in your Xbox?