Xeno Crisis coming to Neo Geo

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Hoping it's just my ears, but the music in the Youtube recording doesn't sound that clear and I can't really hear any stereo separation, so I think they just used a recording of the Mega Drive soundtrack for the Neo Geo version rather than reprogramming it for the YM2610. I figured that's what they'd do, but I guess I was hoping for more. I'm keeping hope I'm wrong. Can anyone spot differences in the soundtrack?
I had the same slightly dejected response when I listed to the trailer just a bit ago. Sounds like everything was coming through that test CRT's speakers, so IF there was any nuance added to the music for the 2610, there's a good chance we wouldn't have been able to pick up on it in that hastily put together video.

But, I also highly suspect it's just the genesis soundtrack. I doubt they would pay SavageRegime (have you listened to this guy's other 2612 remixes and original stuff!? It's baller!) to redo the soundtrack - which makes me less inclined to get the Neo version as the core of the game doesn't look much different.

Edit: Bah, whatever - I'm a sucker. Pre-ordered. Glad they included that discount so it's not much more than the old price. lol

Last edited:

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I had the same slightly dejected response when I listed to the trailer just a bit ago. Sounds like everything was coming through that test CRT's speakers, so IF there was any nuance added to the music for the 2610, there's a good chance we wouldn't have been able to pick up on it in that hastily put together video.

But, I also highly suspect it's just the genesis soundtrack. I doubt they would pay SavageRegime (have you listened to this guy's other 2612 remixes and original stuff!? It's baller!) to redo the soundtrack - which makes me less inclined to get the Neo version as the core of the game doesn't look much different.

Edit: Bah, whatever - I'm a sucker. Pre-ordered. Glad they included that discount so it's not much more than the old price. lol
You sucker! I had also thought about it for a couple of weeks, that i would just play it on the Sega. But then i pre ordered a month ago for the Neo Geo

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
My question is, since there's a price hike for the AES game, will there be another payment required for those of us who pre-ordered at the £199 point?
Asking for more money from people who already preordered years ago would be the most underhanded, diabolical move possible. I could only applaud the sheer audacity of it.

Also, just no. What store asks you to come back and pay more money after they hike the price on something you already ordered?

Check the other video they posted. It's a direct capture:

If I post a video review, you can bet I will do a direct audio comparison.

I think this Neo version is cool that it exists, and nice to play on the cab, but most likely it's just going to be a port of an already fantastic MD game with a few small enhancements. If the soundtrack fidelity is inferior, the enhancements better be good, or might as well just stick with the MD version.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Asking for more money from people who already preordered years ago would be the most underhanded, diabolical move possible. I could only applaud the sheer audacity of it.

Also, just no. What store asks you to come back and pay more money after they hike the price on something you already ordered?
Agreed, it would be terrible business practice. I'd cancel my order immediately. That being said, with this hobby and this system in particular, it's not the least likely option.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Its really kinda lame and disappointing how little extra flair the neo version has after promising it would be a an upgrade. I mean theres literally nothing different or noticeably changed at all.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Cmon now. The difference is it costs more, so you can sell it for more! I personally have no space for a genesis next to my AES and MVS, and too much money in my wallet so this suited me perfect!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Sounds identical to me. The soundtrack really kicks ass as is. It would be refreshing to hear it reprogrammed for the NG though. I'm sure it's no small feat.
IDK... it could still end up like: Damn, this sounds worse than the Genny music, why did they changed it?!

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
IDK... it could still end up like: Damn, this sounds worse than the Genny music, why did they changed it?!
I'd still rather they try, and have it be something new and different. It would be the first time someone has tried programming new Neo synth music, as far as I know. Part of the problem is that the two YM2610 trackers that are available currently don't work on real hardware, so the tools don't even exist, at least publicly.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
step 1: write mml
step 2: copy, I mean, get inspired by Alpha Denshi's Z80 MML driver
step 3: success

I know western people are allergic to MML but the tools are there...

WNivek

Overtop Pathfinder
Its really kinda lame and disappointing how little extra flair the neo version has after promising it would be a an upgrade. I mean theres literally nothing different or noticeably changed at all.
They obviously weren't gonna entirely reinvent the game, but they clearly did fold some of the Neo's capabilities into this version. The attract-sequence video clearly shows the use of sprite-scaling for monsters that drop-in from the ceiling, which something the other versions did not do.

traveno

Rugal's Thug
Looks like we're in the same boat lol. Good thing you mentioned that discount because I did not read that far into the kickstarter update,

le geek

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
15 Year Member
Comparing videos of the Neo Geo vs the Dreamcast version on Youtube, it does look like there are more frames of animation (at least when you kill xenos) and a richer color palette on the Neo Geo. But it's subtle. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KGRAMR

Another Striker
We don't negotiate with terrorists release the hostages
Did you just pull a Les Grossman? XD (Snark aside, I'm looking forward to the Neo Geo version of Xeno Crisis)

Last edited:

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Yep me too. Def. looking forward to the end product. Was a very fun game on MD.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Havent gotten shit yet. Pretty unexcited about how little its improved over any other version too.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I received the email for confirmation on hostage name and shipping. Ditto on wishing it had more changes or improvements from the other versions though. Seems like they just ported the Dreamcast version and called it a day.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Fuckballs, does this mean I can't flip it for double the price?

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Hummm, still waiting on my confirm email. I was a late pre-order, though.

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
For those getting the shipping confirmation, when did you pre-order? I pre-ordered back on 18/12/2018 and had nothing through yet.