Xeno Crisis coming to Neo Geo

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Is the Neo version worth 200£ more?
Not really, unless you absolutely have to have the cart. The game is Genesis native, and not much is gained in the other versions, although using the VOoT twin sticks in the DC version is pretty badass. The Neo CD version is a steal though.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I bought the Genny version and got the NGCD one for birthday half a year later. Played each of them a lot, there are no graphical or gameplay differences between the two as far as I can tell. The remastered soundtrack of the NGCD version sounds great, tho.

The current Black Friday offers are really good if you ask me. £27.50 for the Genny version and £15 for both the NGCD and DC versions are a steal indeed. The cheapest legal way to obtain the game is to purchase the ROM version for MD/Neo/DC which currently is £7.50, that's a mere pittance considering the time and manpower that went into it.

It's too bad that the Genny version doesn't have a twinsticks option like the DC one. As everyone who has played games like that with a dual stick setup can attest, it takes the gameplay to another level. The 6-button pad setup took me a while to get used to, it works but still can't beat a twinsticks setup.

The developers could have included a simple dual-stick option like they did in RobotWar 2684 on Atari 2600 which lets you combine the player one and two sticks to play in twinstick mode. The Genny has standard Atari-compatible 9-pin ports so you could use any stick with that plug on it, just add a Y-cable to port one to connect a Genny pad and a stick to it in order to be able to control the options of the game, add another stick to port two and off ye go... oh well.

Reactions: wyo

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
I wonder if that would actually work. I know Genesis controller on atari 2600 works fine, but my friends and I tested an atari joystick on a Genesis in the 90s and it was glitchy, like we were playing mortal Kombat and the character would automatically be doing a rapid fire punch without pressing anything.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I've used two Spectravideo Quickshot sticks to play Smash TV on Genny, so yes, it works. Unlike Xeno Crisis, Smash TV supports using sticks/pads on both ports for one player.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The remastered soundtrack of the NGCD version sounds great, tho.
It's basically the same thing. They didn't do a new arrangememt or anything. They also didn't get the sound balance right -- the music is too loud on the NGCD compared to other versions.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
It's basically the same thing. They didn't do a new arrangememt or anything. They also didn't get the sound balance right -- the music is too loud on the NGCD compared to other versions.
The sampling rate/sound quality seems a bit higher on NGCD, haven't noticed the volume difference, guess it's more noticeable if you connect the NGCD audio to a proper amp and speakers.

I've used two Spectravideo Quickshot sticks to play Smash TV on Genny, so yes, it works. Unlike Xeno Crisis, Smash TV supports using sticks/pads on both ports for one player.
The snes version does that too. Smash TV isn't talked about enough for how addictive the gameplay loop is

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The snes version does that too. Smash TV isn't talked about enough for how addictive the gameplay loop is
Yeah, Smash TV is awesome, been playing it for years now on Genny and still can't get enough. It's colourful, fast and sometimes very nasty difficulty-wise but still a blast, specially with two sticks. The TV show theme really works.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
After buying the CD they sent me a link to download the ISO. Awesome.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
The $68.85 includes the shipping. By itself, I think the shipping was roughly $14 from the UK to US.