Yard work. A necessary evil.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Though I despise yard work, at least at this point of my life, actually getting my ass out there and putting in some labor is somewhat therapeutic.
The sunlight isn't so bad after awhile, and my crippling anxieties seem to lessen a bit.
Anyone else here enjoy a bit of tidying up the yard? Planting, mowing, building, etc..?

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Welcome to my world. Yard and house work on a regular basis for me.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I've always lived in on apartments or condos, so I have minimal experience with maintaining a yard. I feel like once I do own property that has a yard, it's going to be a heck of a learning curve that I'm not looking forward to

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
I've always lived in on apartments or condos, so I have minimal experience with maintaining a yard. I feel like once I do own property that has a yard, it's going to be a heck of a learning curve that I'm not looking forward to
I was always the lawnmower kid growing up at home. Kinda sucked being the middle child.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
I enjoy yardwork. I usually cut my lawn and my dad's lawn once a week. I try to use an edger everytime I cut the grass, but sometimes use it every other cut.

Pulling weeds can get a bit annoying, but it is not too bad.

I notice that the gardeners in my area sometimes just use a weedwacker to cut the grass. I like leaving lines in on my lawn in the direction i push the mower, so that wouldn't work for me. I'm impressed at how fast a gardener can finish 4-5 houses while I barely finish two.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Some guy cuts my lawn every 2-4 weeks depending on the time of the year.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
On an episode of The Osbournes, I recall Ozzy telling Sharon that he was going to rip up all the grass, replace it with green pavement, and just hose it off. I love Ozzy.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Mowing the yard is fun and easy. The hard part is when shit inside your house breaks down. The septic tank, water heater, etc.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Mowing the yard is fun and easy. The hard part is when shit inside your house breaks down. The septic tank, water heater, etc.
I've been having some success using YouTube to see/learn how to make some repairs.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I grew up on 4 acres, two living space, 2 field. I had to mow the 2 acres every other weekend. *Most of the time, my dad had a working riding mower. The times he didn't, I had to hoof it. That fucking SUCKED. I hate yardwork. Hate it. Hats off to those who get some therapy/joy out of it.

But that's not me. I despise yardwork. I bought my house about 15 years ago, and mowed my lawn once. Thought to myself "It's not big yard at all. It'll feel different when the place is my own..." Nope. Not for me. I've hired the local kids, a neighbor for a couple years, LawnStarter, etc. Now some dude that I found on that Neighborhood app, I cant remember what it's called, he mows my yard.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I live on a couple of acres so I always have yard work but I don’t mind it at all. Takes me 2 hours to mow and do edges. I poison a lot of the edges which keeps them under control. I have some hedges and plants around the property which also needs to be pruned periodically.

The only thing I hate doing in the yard is digging holes. When we built and had to plant and establish everything I paid someone to do that. Hate digging holes!

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I live in the desert around lots of wildlife, sometimes the pigs knock over the trash and thats a pain to clean up. I do like cutting trees and cactus though, makes you feel good after..

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I do my own yardwork and other household maintenance and repairs whenever possible. First and foremost, it's good exercise. Most people around here hire gardeners, pool guys, etc then go to a gym to run on a hamster wheel in air conditioning or give up and turn into fat fucks. I like to be self-sufficient - pride of ownership, and all that - and I don't like random people stopping by unannounced when I'm walking around the place naked.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I do my own maintenance, it really isn't too bad. Depends on the size of your yard, it could take 1-3hrs. The biggest issue I have is that my lawn has been taken over by different types of weeds and I need to figure out what can remove them.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I do my own maintenance, it really isn't too bad. Depends on the size of your yard, it could take 1-3hrs. The biggest issue I have is that my lawn has been taken over by different types of weeds and I need to figure out what can remove them.
Fire.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, hiring a landscaper: a necessary expense.

Seconded. I have no problem doing most of the routine maintenance around the house but I have crippling seasonal allergies so I haven't stepped foot in my yard in years. I'll gladly pay someone else to keep my shit looking socially acceptable.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
The neighbors' dogs shit in my yard, funny-looking mushrooms grow out of the feces after it rains, I eat them (the shroom, not the turds...most of the time anyway), then I go shopping for DVDs while I'm high on fungi. That probably explains a lot of things...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The neighbors' dogs shit in my yard, funny-looking mushrooms grow out of the feces after it rains, I eat them (the shroom, not the turds...most of the time anyway), then I go shopping for DVDs while I'm high on fungi. That probably explains a lot of things...
You've got bugs in your brain from eating shitshrooms.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
For weeds in the lawn, like dandelions and such, put down a weed killing fertilizer when they creep up, preferably the day before a big rain in the forecast. I'm talking about the powdery stuff or pellets that come in big bags. That should keep them in check unless they're running absolutely wild.

In flower beds or areas around trees, every spring I spray some liquid weed killer and put down a few bags of mulch after. Occasionally some will pop up over the course of the summer, but nothing you can't handle. The mulch tends to keep them in check pretty well.

I'm speaking as a lifelong midwesterner, btw, not sure how southern or southwestern people handle it. Our winter tends to put a major damper on any growth, so as long as you're vigilante in the spring, you can get a head start on the weeds. But don't get me wrong, I've slacked here and there over the years, and had my lawn looking like crap because of them. I've just gotten better about it.