Your opinion on these shockbox-inserts please

Galsia

n00b
That's really cool. Screenshots are inverted though.

I think I found the missing part : 熱戦

Arcade-TV

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Screenshots are inverted though.

Great! Thanks!

Inverted? That's strange...
It's supposed to look like this:
btm_screen.jpg

Galsia

n00b
I meant top one (course selection) should be at the bottom and bottom one (game selection) should be on top, so they match the text.

Galsia

n00b
Glad I could help. I like how you changed the golf ball details.

I made two screenshots which are closer to those on the AES cover (courses in the Japanese order, 2p mode highlighted), in case you need it:
gamez.png
courseo.png

Also it seems a space is missing between of and four in the English text part.

Arcade-TV

Tarma's Gun Polisher
And here's the result of that teamwork:
Good Job!

bigtournamentgolf_v2.jpg

bigtournamentgolf_v2_mvs.jpg

Actually... there was a space between the words, but it looked strange due to the kerning of the font. I added one space, it's 2 spaces now but it looks better.

Last edited:

Galsia

n00b
Really cool, keep it up!

Another thing I noticed, on the AES cover the lower part of the red "star" behind the small golf ball goes over the top blue bar. On your insert it stays bellow the bar. Is it intentional?

Arcade-TV

Tarma's Gun Polisher
s it intentional?

Yes. To make it more readable. Also I think it's not a bad thing when these inserts will be different from the AES ones. Of course it would be nice to have a full set of inserts identical to the home-carts, but there are at least two reasons why this is impossible:
1. There just is no AES insert for some games
2. I have like 75 AES games, not complete at all - somebody would have to provide pro-quality scans.

Well, I try to handle this situation like this:
Either there is a high-res scan among my assets, otherwise I make use of other artwork that I have, if no high-res art is available at all I try to blow-up low quality artwork using vector-based algorhythms. If all that fails the insert has to wait. I'm for "quality before quantity".

In this particular case of "Big Tournament Golf" is was like that:
-had no hi-res scan
-was able to rebuild logo
-got ahold of the "golfer" photo/artwork, but had to blow it up
-made vectors from the back-background image
-got the jap text from you

Galsia

n00b
Indeed, I think it's a good thing if custom inserts aren't identical to AES ones. In this particular case (the red star) if you tried both way to handle it, I'm sure you picked the best one.

By the way, how did you rebuilt the Big Tournament Golf logo? It seems to me you kept the "perspective part" of the letters and redid the letters themselves.

Arcade-TV

Tarma's Gun Polisher
how did you rebuilt the Big Tournament Golf logo? It seems to me you kept the "perspective part" of the letters and redid the letters themselves.

You're so right.
Good observation skills ;)

I blew up the logo but the inside of the letters came out flaky, so I drew vectors on top of them and kept the rest.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Awesome. I tried to do the same (minus vectors) many years ago and gave up because it was too much work and the result wasn't what i was aiming for.

Two things:

I think the nasca logo on the spine would look better in black

Your samurai spirits 2 insert says samurai SHODOWN in the box on the back. I'd change that to sporits.

Edit:

Third thing ...

The back of the big tournament golf insert ... Bottom right ... The 3 symbols for one player, two play and the type of game ...-> it says it's a fighting game

Last edited:

Arcade-TV

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I just got my first Japanese MVS game, it's world heroes 2. I saw you did a part 1, If you decide too make wh2 I would definitely appreciate it. Funny thing is I spent more on the shock box then I did the game :-)
Sorry it took some time! This was a tough one..

worldheroes2_faces.jpg

worldheroes2_mvs.jpg

I'd love to see a photo of this in your shockbox! Can u do that?

Last edited:

Arcade-TV

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I think the nasca logo on the spine would look better in black
Easy change. Are you others ok with that?

Your samurai spirits 2 insert says samurai SHODOWN in the box on the back. I'd change that to sporits.
erm, yeah... well...
This was actually intended.
I thought this way both titles could co-exist.
On the other hand: you're right. This is supposed to represent the jp version of the game so keeping the jp titles might be a good idea, gotta admit that...

The back of the big tournament golf insert ... Bottom right ... The 3 symbols for one player, two play and the type of game ...-> it says it's a fighting game
Nope, it doesn't ;)
This is a bit confusing, I know... but that icon means "competitive play". Got it from an old "software line-up" flyer.
There is one insert I made where "competitive" didn't apply... dunno which it was, I'll have to look it up. In that case I used the genre icon as third symbol.
Fighting icon is the flaming-fists-thingamajig.

Great Feedback! Thanx!

edit: it was the strikers1945 insert where "competitive" didn't apply.

Last edited:

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Ooops, my bad.

The reason why i thought the shodown looked odd is that it says spirits on the front.
I also have a few suggestions for the strikers inserts, but i'll tell you in german via pm. Probably in early august, when i have the time to spare. Didn't forget about the scans either, just really busy at the moment.

But yeah, you're doing an incredible job. Keep it up, please.

Arcade-TV

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Puzzle Bobble - Inserts Galore

This will be one of the last inserts before my vacation.
I've spent the whole day making this fully vector-based! Only the screenshots are pixel-graphics, everything else is anchors 'n curves.

ENJOY!

PINK (the classic puzzle bobble flavor)
puzzlebubble_v2_pink_faces.jpg

puzzlebubble_v2_pink_mvs.jpg

RED
puzzlebubble_v2_faces_red.jpg

puzzlebubble_v2_mvs_red.jpg

YELLOW
puzzlebubble_v2_faces_yellow.jpg

puzzlebubble_v2_mvs_yellow.jpg

GREEN
puzzlebubble_v2_faces_green.jpg

puzzlebubble_v2_mvs_green.jpg

BLUE
puzzlebubble_v2_faces_blue.jpg

puzzlebubble_v2_mvs_blue.jpg

GREY
puzzlebubble_v2_faces_grey.jpg

puzzlebubble_v2_mvs_grey.jpg

PURPLE GRADIENT (Playfield Colors)
puzzlebubble_v2_faces_purple.jpg

puzzlebubble_v2_mvs_purple.jpg

So... what's your favourite color?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think blue provides the best contrast besides pink.

Arcade-TV

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I might be putting printable files on hold for future releases due to missing feedback. See, the thing is, once an insert is ready it's real hard to work on it again after some time.
And - this is also important - getting no feedback at all is really frustrating and I just don't wanna feel bad for releasing stuff like that.
Yeah, maybe I'm being a p...y about it, but nobody ever left a reply for KOTM2, WHeroes2 and now the PBobble inserts and that kinda sucks for me - just being honest...

metalslug_v1_faces.jpg

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
please don't be discouraged! Your inserts are hands down, the best I've ever seen. I'm trying to collect Jp label mvs carts and these would be perfect for that. I have loved every single one you've done, even this metal slug is top notch! I'm not in a position right now to print and use these, but I've seen the work you've done and it's great stuff.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Woah! I just looked at the kotm2, yea, that one is going in my shock for that, freaking awesome!!!!

Arcade-TV

Tarma's Gun Polisher
please don't be discouraged! Your inserts are hands down, the best I've ever seen.

Well, You see... I'm not fishing for compliments! I want you to give me your ideas, critism, stuff like that.
In the end you can all prosper from that.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Well, You see... I'm not fishing for compliments! I want you to give me your ideas, critism, stuff like that.
In the end you can all prosper from that.

I can't help you with criticisms, because I've liked every one I've seen right out of the gate. I realize that might not be helpful for you, but I am just really happy to see you supporting jp style labels.

Arcade-TV

Tarma's Gun Polisher
It's not only criticisms I was hoping for...
I thought y'all would like to get involved more, bring up ideas for inserts, working out the concept together... stuff like that.
Anyways, see you next week guys. I'm out.

artoffighting2_v1_faces.jpg

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I hope you keep making them Alex cause they're looking great. Im just waiting until you make some more of the games I have and then im going to get printing. I reckon once you see people post pictures of these inserts with their collection that is all the motivation you'll need. :)

Keep up the good work