kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
report him, its fun

either that or mail him teling you're gonna report him

and watch the auction d i s s a p e a r

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
I've seen several ROM discs and people selling emulators on ebay unfortunately.

I sell a lot of SNES games on eBay and I report every single one of these guys I come across. It takes about 30 secs and is always worth it.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Pestered him with a question, alerted the one buyer that he got ripped off, reported him.

Bastard.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Burn that mother! People like that deserve no mercy when it comes to a reaming!

No vaseline for you biotch!

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
:angry: stupid motherfucker

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Wow, thats such a great deal!!!!!!! Just imagine how much money you could save if you bought this great DVD instead of all those ugly cartridges.

games_sk

Mr. Big's Thug
Not everyone can afford to buy all the Neo Geo games on MVS and certainly not AES. Downloading all of these roms would take a very long time so why not pay £3.50 to get the whole lot in one go? Most of the members here have these roms so what's the difference between downloading them yourself or paying for a disc which is ready for your play?

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
games_sk said:
Not everyone can afford to buy all the Neo Geo games on MVS and certainly not AES. Downloading all of these roms would take a very long time so why not pay £3.50 to get the whole lot in one go? Most of the members here have these roms so what's the difference between downloading them yourself or paying for a disc which is ready for your play?

You're profiting from something you stole.

FrZi

n00b
games_sk said:
Yes. All game developers should just stop releasing their games as a material product and start publishing it on the web for free. And those with a slow connection can always buy stuff from people like this on eBay.

:spock:

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
games_sk said:

Because its illegal? I also reported the bastard. It probably hurts other members on eBay who try to sell the legit cartridges. It's almost like stealing and selling what you've stolen except its on the internet. I don't want to make this into a flame war on whether or not this is alright to sell this on eBay, but the asshole shouldn't be doing this. And yes, I'm sure 80% of the members here have ROM images stored in their computers.

games_sk said:

Because it devalues the legit stuff. I used to own an anime store but it went under because of all the region free and burned stuff that's out there. Same idea in my opinion.

TD

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
Downloading ROM images: No one makes a profit. You may actually pay for bandwidth/time. You have the ROMs on your PC. You play them. You may enjoy them so much that you buy originals. You probably learned a lot about them in the process of getting them. You broke one law if you used BitTorrent.

Buying them: A sneaky eBayer gets a profit off of work he didn't do. You don't know anything about these ROMs or the emulator he has packaged them with. You have purchased bootleg media; he has broken an emulator's license (they all prohibit packaging with ROMs, and I doubt an emu author would give this guy permission), distributed bootleg media (and for profit, too), and he has hurt legit sellers' chances.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
Also, I don't know why this guy is still above the water. Everyone should report him ASAP, and should also send a message to the buyers that they got ripped off.

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
How many reports have there been? 3? I'll report him again so eBay can get the message that we don't want this bastard selling this shit.

joe_higashi19

Life is an Illusion, The Magic is Down My Pants.,
Actually we need to get bobak in here because i think he can legally sell it if a made menus and set up some kind of software program to run it .You can get some sort of property rights on that sell it for price of work put into it and cost of tools needed or something like that ill ask bobak.

games_sk

Mr. Big's Thug
Well, these emulators and roms shouldn't exist in the first place so complaining about one seller trying to make some loose change is pointless. Those that have programmed/released these emulators and roms should be held accountable for everything that has happened including small time sellers like this.

aria

Former Moderator
The thread-starter asked me to chime in, here we go:
-------

Since I realize we have a lot of newer members who haven't heard previous discussions on the legality of "teh ROMs", here you go:

(1) Unless the copyright owner of the game has explicitly released the rights to the game (very, very rare), downloaded ROMs are by-and-large illegal. As you will see in the next few points, when talking about video games on forums like these, that almost always means illegal.

(2) that "back-up" copy exception is read so narrowly that about the only people that get away with it are entites like libraries trying to protect their collection

(3) "Abandonware" without written intent is a myth. You have to explicitly release the copyright, and be in a position to do so.

(4) The legal reason behind keeping copyrights in place is that the owner has the monoply of rights to exploit the work: in the early years or ROM-whoring, the whores blathered on that they were never going to use them again. Then all the arcade collections, games-in-a-joystick, paid-online legal ROM services, XBox arcade and Wii arcade started coming out.

(5) Any, let me repeat, any use of copyright-protected material to make a new (what we call "derivative") work makes the new work illegal.

(6) is it possible to make a new program/device/system that works completely independently of the copyrighted material, but that interacts with it? Yes: that was the lawsuit over the original Game Genie . Galoob won. Still, it's very difficult to do and Galoob spent a lot of engineering R&D dollars and still had to go through years of litigation to prove their case. Most individuals cannot afford that.

I'm sure I forgot something, but that should help for now.

joe_higashi19

Life is an Illusion, The Magic is Down My Pants.,
thanks for the reply bobak very much aprecited .

P.S. I dided want it to be about romz or no romz,I just wanted to know about the copyright stuffs thx again man.

aria

Former Moderator
No prob, I don't mind discussing general legal issues.

I do not answer "help, I just shot a dude --what do I do!" :p

(that's only in chat)

[for legal purposes, the line immediately above was a joke]

SSS

neo retired
games_sk said:
Well, these emulators and roms shouldn't exist in the first place so complaining about one seller trying to make some loose change is pointless. Those that have programmed/released these emulators and roms should be held accountable for everything that has happened including small time sellers like this.

yeah, I'm sure Cops use the same logic for drug dealers. :rolleyes: