Your vehicle brand of choice?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
When it comes to cars, are you loyal to one brand, or do you hop around if another brand has something you like?

My preference is Toyota/Lexus. I've only owned vehicles made by Toyota, a Lexus GS300 and Toyota Crown imported into the USA. I feel like you can have your cake and eat it too, a luxurious vehicle, depending on the model, and legendary reliability. I can't say I'm a fan of the new Toyota offerings, but I like the Lexus lineup. The LC500 is a stunner.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Until I was looking for a job I supported US brands. After I was turned down for work because of the color of my skin and sex, I bought whatever.

If they won't invest in me, fuck them.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
My first car was a Renault, always wanted another. Thing was a fun ride but they're hard to come by in the US.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Toyota and Honda myself.

Every single USA made car my family and I have owned (from 80's Firebird, Monte Carlo, Cougar, to 90's Lumina, Topaz, Aerostar, to 00's Concorde, RAM, F150) has always died, or had something huge like engine or transmission blow around 130k miles (ok, maybe 150 for one or two). ALL proper maintenance including oil changes was always done.

Toyotas and Honda's, even total shit ones I or one of my brothers got from an aging aunt or uncle, littered with a bit of rust, with probably questionable maintenance before we got them, ALL ran perfect to at least 200k --everything mechanical like engine, transmission, etc. still running great-- but that's just usually when we want to get something new because all the super small stuff, and interior funkiness, starts to add up around then.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Honda & Lexus...I went w/ bmw for my last car and man that has been lots of headaches and lots of maintenance bullshit. No more german cars for me.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Brand loyalty is pretty stupid...but Honda and Toyota are the most reliable and VW are the most consistent about their offerings.

Example, GM cars of the mid 90s through the bankruptcy were pretty darned good, even though I could never bring myself to owning one. After the bankruptcy...who knows? They don’t even sell parts for old stuff anymore, the 1.4 puts full boost in the crankcase and blows out all its seals...

Ford was really into small cars in the 80s, then the SUV boom hit and only Ford of Europe sold small stuff. Then gas prices went up and they brought out the Focus MkIII and matching Firsta, sold like crazy, everyone loved them, especially the STs and RS then they decided to sell only the Mustang. They steer the ship like maniacs.

But the Golf has been on sale in the US since 1976 with no break. You can always get a Golf and it’s always a Golf. They don’t take it away and bring it back as a truck and then make it Korea for five years, etc. It doesn’t shrink and grow. It’s dependably there at the dealer when you need one, just like your last ones, which is a different kind of reliable but still sometimes it’s the most important.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I like Toyotas. I like Mustangs. Camaro ZL1s.

I despite people who “drive” Honda, Acura, Subaru, Volvo, Mercedes, and Lexus. They’re slow, and for the most part, not a single good looking car in their offerings. How someone can enter the US and not get a muscle car is beyond me, like going to Japan and looking for a McDonald’s.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm not necessarily loyal to a single brand, but I've managed to drive nothing but Mazdas for almost 20 years now. My wife always had Fords since her dad was a Ford salesman, but we even got her a Mazda when it was time to get a new car.

Last time I was looking for a car, I had a large list of interesting cars that I was looking to possibly purchase. Mostly Japanese cars, Subarus, Hondas, etc. Ended up with another Mazda.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
EW you need to make it to the Woodward Dream Cruise some year. Tons of cars, people partying on the sides of the road and police pulling out-of-staters for doing burnouts. It's good family fun without any incidents so far.

Muscle, exotics, stance, doinks etc.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I've only owned four cars and two of them are still parked outside. 1976 Toyota (wrecked), 1999 Ford (transmission went out), 1995 Toyota, 2005 Nissan.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
When ever traveling need Rental ford or gmc Yukon , expedition, Tahoe comfortable gas guzzlers . Personal vehicle Honda and Toyota .

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I like Toyotas. I like Mustangs. Camaro ZL1s.

I despite people who “drive” Honda, Acura, Subaru, Volvo, Mercedes, and Lexus. They’re slow, and for the most part, not a single good looking car in their offerings. How someone can enter the US and not get a muscle car is beyond me, like going to Japan and looking for a McDonald’s.

You...may want to check your numbers. This is 2021. Indeed nearly everything new is ugly but at this point every car company has made something fast...and Ford (the only company to have made a muscle car non stop since the 60s) has for sure made some slow Mustangs. Like...all of them from the mid 70s through the early 90s. I had a girlfriend with an ‘86 that was slower than my VW GTI of the same year thanks to the terrible automatic transmission and badly tuned Pinto engine. Several of the “slow” OEMs you listed have cars with sub 3 second 0-60 times and Mercedes...slow? They currently sell multiple cars that are electronically limited to 155mph and even their SUVs handle better than most cars made before 1990.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I had a 1992 Camry from the time I was 16. It lasted until I got a Ford F-150 in 2008. My Dad bought that Toyota new, and used to swear by their quality but they started having some issues when I was looking for a new car. I loved that 92, it was built so well, but the AC failed and no one had parts for it; to fix it would have cost more than it was worth.

The F-150 is fairly solid, but I’ve always had and still have a spot for Toyota.

Edit: I’ve been toying with buying a 3rd car, something mainly to drive to work and back since the Ford takes $45-$50 to fill up. If I did, I would first look at another Toyota.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Subaru. Had 04' Impreza Sport wagon that lasted 14 years replaced it with an 18' Impreza Sport hatchback. I have no vested interest in the brand but the first one was so reliable that I just went with a new one. I've been fairly happy with it but there are too many electronics in it, lacks the simplicity of my old one.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Chevy vehicles built before 1987 as my fun vehicles, and whatever piece of shit 10 to 20 year old asian garbage as my daily beater.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
My first car was a Corolla. It ran forever. Next was a Honda, and it was dope. When I moved to Japan, I didn’t have a car. After I got my drivers license, I drove my then girlfriends Volkswagen. It was just ok. When I moved back here, I got a Subaru. I didn’t like it as much as the other JDM cars I’ve had. I just sold it a couple weeks ago. My wife drives a Honda Odyssey, and it’s hilariously awesome and fun to drive.

We are looking for another vehicle right now, actually. Funny that this thread popped up - I was literally thinking about making something similar.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I've always been partial to Ford products.
Currently in an 05 Lincoln LS V8.
Save for a handful I've never been fond of GM.
Was always willing to consider anything else.
Have a feeling my next one is going to be an SUV or van of some sort.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I swear by the ole AE90 series Toyota Corolla's but my work provided VW caddy has been amazing to drive. It gives you a real arbeit macht frei experience.