zero gunner 2 or under defeat?

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
been playing these pretty steadily as of late but I end up playing way more zero gunner. I haven't delved into the scoring systems much on either but zg seems more "dynamic" as far as game play goes while ud seems more slow and plodding? im not sure if this attributed to the scoring mechanics or just the way the game is set up? in any case which do you gents preferred? and why?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I like both for different reasons. ZG2 is a fun game for sure, and while I usually don't play shmups with 2 people it's really fun as a 2p game.

Under Defeat just has great graphics and gameplay and a high intensity level. There's a certain charm to it.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I haven't put as much time into ZG as I should, so I can't really tell you why I like one over the other. But I really enjoy Under Defeat....it's right up my alley with that old Raiden-esque type gameplay, enemies shooting at you rather than spewing out slow patterned shots. The game is fairly easy though, which makes sense why they don't have any extends, but I'm no shmup master by any means so the difficulty is fine by me.
The shooting rotation-lock fits well for me, which I'm curious how well I could adapt to ZG's style of rotation mechanic.
In any case, UD is a pretty fun game with great production values. I haven't played it on XBLA, I stick to the DC version which has a bunch of unlockables (gallery) that is pretty neat. It apparently has an Arranged soundtrack alternative as well, but I never turn it on in the options.

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
thanks gents. ill put some more time into ud to get the feel for its finer points. I agree tho that its presentation is top notch.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Both are excellent and both were recently in my top 10 list on another site. Under Defeat has simple to understand scoring - but becomes difficult to do well as the game progresses - you really need to plan out your weapon swaps.

I often compare these games with the multi-directional shooting mechanics (though the are slightly different) as well as games just feel different using a choppa!

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
YEAH. THE CHOPPER GAMES OFFER A NICE DEPARTURE FROM THE ZOOM ZOOM SPACE SHIPS.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
funny-celebrity-pictures-i-dont-always-have-a-choppa-but-when-i-do-i-get-to-it.jpg

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I would have used to say ZG2 but I spent quite a bit more time with UD more recently and I'd have to say I now prefer it. Both are probably my two favorite Naomi titles though.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
the last level of under defeat is breathtaking. THe level starts with no SFX, just perfect music and then progresses into fury. Reminds me of older Toaplan level starts like Tatsujin. Buy them both, play them both, really great games

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
ZG2 is one of my games of choice for casual shmup'ing and UD for serious score hunts. UD is mostly pattern based so you have to keep on your toes all the time and work on your strategy for beating certain spots while in ZG2, raw firepower and good positioning can save your ass even in tight situations. That's not to say ZG2 would not require strategical play at times but it's not as pronounced as in UD in my opinion.

In conclusion, I think both games are great in their own right, I wouldn't want to decide between the two.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Subjectively speaking: Under Defeat, VGA tate 4ever. Zero Gunner isn't bad though, reminds me somewhat of Neo Contra (Neo? ...yeah, that would've been somethin'), alas, Shattered Soldier is the game to choose out of the two. So is UD ;).

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
I really suck at Shooters but Zero Gunner 2 is a game that i really enjoy playing . It kinda nice since it waits a few level before starting to kick my ass lol. I have never tried Under Defeat but my curiosity is now spiked and i'll have to get a copy to play on my Dreamcast.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
I really suck at Shooters but Zero Gunner 2 is a game that i really enjoy playing . It kinda nice since it waits a few level before starting to kick my ass lol. I have never tried Under Defeat but my curiosity is now spiked and i'll have to get a copy to play on my Dreamcast.
Definitely a good idea!

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
This thread made me decide to hook up the Dreamcast and play some UD!

F2WxJem.jpg

Hooked up to my PVM using the Toro from beharius bros.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
ZG2 for me although I like both games. VGA all the way for these two, it's the only way to fly!

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
you guys def have persuaded me to dump more time into UD. thanks gents. on a related note ive also been playing alotta canon spike and it feels similar to ZG for some reason.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Zero Gunner 2 definitely has the Psikyo flair: Know when something big will happen, and preemptively setup your own killer strike on it instead. And you know what, Under Defeat has a lot of that as well. Aggression games at their finest. I've probably spent more time with Under Defeat though, if I combine the Dreamcast version with the re-releases a few years back.

Also every time I play Zero Gunner 2, I'm sad that I've never played Zero Gunner 1 and probably never will.

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Zero Gunner 2 definitely has the Psikyo flair: Know when something big will happen, and preemptively setup your own killer strike on it instead. And you know what, Under Defeat has a lot of that as well. Aggression games at their finest. I've probably spent more time with Under Defeat though, if I combine the Dreamcast version with the re-releases a few years back.

Also every time I play Zero Gunner 2, I'm sad that I've never played Zero Gunner 1 and probably never will.
ive always felt the same about zg as well.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
under defeat is still on my to buy list.