SUPERPOTATO TOKYO: a few pics from the legendary store in Akihabara

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Akihabara said:
No there aren't so much really good shops in Tokyo next to Akihabara.
There is Mandarake in Shibuya that has some cool retro and a shop in Shinjuku will cool stuff but for the BEST DEALS EVER you should go to Osaka.
This is because prices in Akihabara for really rare stuff are getting higher every year, because they know some foreigner will pick em up sooner or later, this is not the case in Den Den Town Osaka.

MANDARAKE! That's the place I find a lot of vintage toys. Love that place.

Also thanks for more super potato pics. Everytime I see that place I need a drool cup.

:buttrock:

aria

Former Moderator
neo_X7 said:
How much were they selling Neo systems for?

the Neo systems ranged from the $190s, but most fell in the mid-$200s and above. All their systems (Famicom, etc) were priced based on the individual unit.

aria

Former Moderator
Baseley09 said:
I see the 3DO hotel unit in with the Neo's. Neat.

Hah! Is that what that was. I saw a NG hotel unit once when I visited Vinh's old place, but I was so busy with the rest of the store I didn't have time to explore that thing any further.

aria

Former Moderator
BTW, thanks to the mod that stickied this, I didn't and I was afraid it was pushed to the bottom when I saw it at the top.

Sorry for the series of posts (everyone made great comments), I'll try to keep them together now.

Akihabara said:
but for the BEST DEALS EVER you should go to Osaka.
This is because prices in Akihabara for really rare stuff are getting higher every year, because they know some foreigner will pick em up sooner or later, this is not the case in Den Den Town Osaka.

I can imagine. I was only in Osaka for a little while and I spend my time at the castle grounds, the aquarium, and that one river district. If I had more time I would've tracked it down.

Loopz said:
Did you do any karaoke while you were there? It seems like that would be an absolute must.

Oh hell yes. One night I made sure to meet up with Tsuka and RBJakeSpecial and party like you're supposed in a country where public drunkeness isn't really frowned upon.

These photos were huge, so I'm making an unrelated thread (also since this has nothing to do with the store and the Neo).

Last edited:

gt6plus

Another Striker
20 Year Member
There is a Mandrake by the Nakano station, unless you are considering Nakano as Shinjuku. That place has lots of great stuff if you are into vintage toys.

I find that minor cities in Japan are where the great deals are. I had a field day in Takamatsu. There is also a chain shop spread around Japan called "Geo" they sometimes have good cheap stuff.

There is more to Japan than Tokyo.....

Nice pics Bobak!

Akihabara said:
There is Mandarake in Shibuya that has some cool retro and a shop in Shinjuku will cool stuff but for the BEST DEALS EVER you should go to Osaka.

aria

Former Moderator
gt6plus said:
There is more to Japan than Tokyo.....

Well put. In fact, Akihabara was almost an afterthought for me (I thought I was fairly cool on buying more video game stuff until I had my "spiritual reawakening" in there). I spend half the trip in Osaka (briefly), Himeji, Kyoto and Nara and then I spend about 5 days in Tokyo including a sidetrip to Nikko. There's just so much amazing stuff to see. I was in Tokyo back in '92 for 10 days and that was enough to get a glimpse of that city, but you're right: the rest of Japan is different. I need to go back.

Right now with the Worlds Fair going from this month to October, you can get great airfare from anywhere to Nagoya's new airport. I've seen round-trip tickets from the US going in the $400s-range!

Sky_R

B. Jenet's Firstmate
bump. Just subscribing to this thread. Hey bobak, did you get a good look at how much the KOF titles were priced at? (Preferibly that 2001?)

aria

Former Moderator
Sky_R said:
bump. Just subscribing to this thread. Hey bobak, did you get a good look at how much the KOF titles were priced at? (Preferibly that 2001?)

Naw, I didn't. Sorry about that. However, as a rule the prices over there were hardly bargains. They were pretty much what you'd find most places.

MyulChi

Goal! Goal! Goal!
That place is awesome. Walk around shopping for neogeo carts? I'm visiting Korea this summer, hope they have neogeo stores still left :smirk:

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
God damn that place looks great... if I ever end up going to Japan I am there for sure! :crying:

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Akihabara is great for games. Traders and Super Potatoe are great for Neo Games and all kinds of rare stuff. I found the Liberty stores to be a little overpriced but they had some games you wouldn't find anything else. I miss akihabara but I'll be glad when I go back next winter.

SoloFenris

Sakura's Bank Manager
Akihabara said:

There is also a Mandarake in Nakano that had some pretty good Neo stuff last time I was there. The main thing that shocked me about Super Potato was the U.S. version of AOF1 in the case for about $200.

Jeff

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
if i ever visit japan(which will happen) i'll defenittely need to get to Osaka. as the home of snk it should have tons of neo stuff and especially tons of cheap priced neo stuff.

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
Damn...those stores look like a dream. Think I'll stop drooling now. :(

aria

Former Moderator
Athlon64 said:
Hi,

Could someone tell me the excact address of this store.

Thanks.

You know addresses in Japan are really messed up, right? Unless you're mailing something, the best thing is to get directions.

For the addy: Check their website. I posted the link in the first post... http://www.superpotato.com/

Addresses in Japan, from what I read, are not based on a logical "from this end of the street to the other" rather it's based on what order the building was constructed in the neighborhood it's post office services. It sounds like the police spend a lot of time simply answering "where is this?" and that's why a lot of ads there have maps on them.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
The true places for deals are the Hard-Off used electronic stores. I picked up two unboxed Neo systems for $40 and $60 each. Plus other items such as a supergrafx, pc engines, super famicoms, etc...

aria

Former Moderator
NEgO MANIAC said:
The true places for deals are the Hard-Off used electronic stores. I picked up two unboxed Neo systems for $40 and $60 each. Plus other items such as a supergrafx, pc engines, super famicoms, etc...

Wowsa!

Hei

New Challenger
Bobak said:
(I hear Super Potato also has a store in Osaka).

Yes it does, I have been to that one, its bigger but I'm not sure how much better it was. Still, I picked up some games I could never even order from Japan.... :buttrock:

aria

Former Moderator
Hei said:
Yes it does, I have been to that one, its bigger but I'm not sure how much better it was. Still, I picked up some games I could never even order from Japan.... :buttrock:

Cool, man!

Thanks for chiming in.

---but you're in HK, isn't there great selection there too?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I've been to the Super Patoto in Akihabara (Tokyo) a shit load of times. They're pretty overpriced compared to all the other stores. As for those hooting and hollering to "change the price guides", how about you fucking fly to Japan and pay the heavy living expenses and then ship the carts back to the states and claim that those photos show actual market prices. The Japanese believe in new technology and pretty much phase out vintage gaming, even though it's very popular around the world. If you want those prices, fly to Japan. If you don't, then pay the prices on Ebay. You don't DESERVE those prices otherwise. Sorry to be such a sour-puss.