Rainbow colors on Samurai Showdown 1 and 2

I recently picked up a Japanese AES system with Japanese copies of Samurai Showdown 1 and 2. The board revision is 3-6 and I'm using a new Triad power supply. I noticed that on certain characters and stages there are rainbow colored glitches in some of the graphics. It seems to only affect certain characters and stages. The same behavior seems to be present on both carts, with the same characters, which leads me to believe that it's something with the console itself vs the games. It mostly seems to show up on the characters themselves, but as you can see in the last image it affects the fog as well on this stage as well. I've never played any of these games on an AES so there may be other problems here that aren't obvious to me, but for the most part I don't see anything unusual going on aside from these rainbow artifacts.

I've not opened up the console to look for any obvious issues yet, however I thought I'd put there out there in case anyone had seen this before or any advice on things to look for. Here are some examples:

IMG_2201.jpegIMG_2202.jpegIMG_2213.jpeg

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It seems to be doing that wherever there's supposed to be a checkerboard type of pattern. What kind of TV is that? Does it have any digital image processing? I would try another TV.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The rainbow thing is just the dumb RCA cable; use an RGB one :)
This. It's definitely the composite connection.

If you don't have an RGB capable monitor get a pair of HDretrovision component cables and an adapter for the Neo.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
This is normal in most cases, composite video is pretty crappy and the Neo in particular has extraordinarily crappy composite video. It's the same reason you might get rainbows on the waterfalls in Sonic 1.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have pretty much all of my consoles hooked up via composite and never noticed anything like this before. I'm at least relieved to know that there isn't anything broken.

I'll check out the HD retrovision cables if that'll help.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The rainbow effect looks really dramatic though in the photos, so I do wonder about your TV. That wasn't normal with composite video on a CRT back in the day.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The HD retrovision cables (component) or any RGB connection should clear it up.