Car Enthusiast Thread

roger45

n00b
^My bad, tbh they've always been shitty cars. I'd really dig an old XJS:
007.jpg

Nice XJS. That reminds of uncle's 1986 Jaguar XJ-SC convertible he restored with nice wheels and Toyo tires. These XJS are real chick magnet.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
So I'm in the market for a SUV and one of the things I'd like is a nice entertainment system so the kids can be busy during long ass road trips to D.C. and Canada (which I do fairly regularly).

Normally this is something I'd like to get factory installed, but I found a pre-owned car that I like that has everything but a movie setup. What is the general consensus on adding an after market one? Is it worth it, or should I just hold out?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
So I'm in the market for a SUV and one of the things I'd like is a nice entertainment system so the kids can be busy during long ass road trips to D.C. and Canada (which I do fairly regularly).

Normally this is something I'd like to get factory installed, but I found a pre-owned car that I like that has everything but a movie setup. What is the general consensus on adding an after market one? Is it worth it, or should I just hold out?

How old are the kids? I just bought mine a tablet each and a pair of earphones, job done.

If you don't want to go that route there are companies that sell direct headrest replacements for whatever your model of car is with a full entertainment system built in, including screen, for the passenger behind. Think they're supposed to be quite good.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Oh that headrest thing sounds like a great option, thanks! Kids are 5 and 2. Tablet thing might be a good option too though...certainly something to think about.

How old are the kids? I just bought mine a tablet each and a pair of earphones, job done.

If you don't want to go that route there are companies that sell direct headrest replacements for whatever your model of car is with a full entertainment system built in, including screen, for the passenger behind. Think they're supposed to be quite good.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
I have had Audi A8 4.2 TDI now for 5 years, (6,5 years old car) and nowadays only drive about 12 000km in a year (7500 miles) so the diesel does not make sense to me anymore. It is nice car with almost all options you can get for A8, entertainment system, electric seats also in rear, night vision etc and with bit tuning it is ok to drive (410hp and 690lb-ft) but it is still a diesel. So I decided that it is time to get a new (used) car. I like the A8, it is blends well and does not look too aggressive and I like the interior more than BMW or benz. So currently I'm looking for either 2012-2014 S8 or RS6 and already have made offer for one S8. Hopefully next week I can have test drive. Tesla would be other option but I need that car to be able to go longer distances also during the winter.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Well it's best to drop the diesel now. They say they want diesels banned altogether by 2025. London, Paris, and a few other big cities want them gone by 2020.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
So I'm gettin' that "itch"...like I always do.

I'm still driving that '14 Ram 1500 (bought in Feb of '14)...which so far has been completely trouble free. I'm way ahead in terms of what I owe vs what its worth and when that happens, I start looking.

...and looking...

There is literally nothing that interests me, or at least nothing that I can afford that interests me. The truck market is just dumb, they are so stinking expensive that there is no way I'm going to take on a $6-700/mo car payment just to get some comfort features over what my truck currently has.

Even the used market for trucks in silly...

It looks that this may land up being one of the first vehicles that I actually pay off, as bad as that sounds.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Having a vehicle on which you owe no money is very liberating though. To me it feels like an miniature version of paying off a mortgage.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Having a vehicle on which you owe no money is very liberating though. To me it feels like an miniature version of paying off a mortgage.

Its really tempting with this one...it's a truck, and a fairly simple one at that. All brands are prone to problems, but I see a ton of 10+ year old Rams driving around.

At this point, I just cannot justify getting rid of the thing and as I stated before, I really am way ahead in terms of value vs money owed.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Its really tempting with this one...it's a truck, and a fairly simple one at that. All brands are prone to problems, but I see a ton of 10+ year old Rams driving around.

At this point, I just cannot justify getting rid of the thing and as I stated before, I really am way ahead in terms of value vs money owed.

Yeah, snap out of that car culture mentality where we always need a new one. The new ones do the same thing.

You are right that the same problems exist across brands. I don't know why truck engineers havent solved the issue with rust along wheel wells. Make the shit out of replaceable plastic or something. I've never seen a used truck that doesn't have rust int he rear wheel well.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yeah, snap out of that car culture mentality where we always need a new one. The new ones do the same thing.

You are right that the same problems exist across brands. I don't know why truck engineers havent solved the issue with rust along wheel wells. Make the shit out of replaceable plastic or something. I've never seen a used truck that doesn't have rust int he rear wheel well.

Dodge is the worst for that (rear wheel wells). Supposedly, they've fixed this on mine by putting an all covering plastic tub in the back as well as removing the spongy foam that used to be sprayed in the lip of the bed (it holds water so it rusts from the inside out).

I just figured that if mine started to bubble (again, inside/out rusting), I'd grind it off, re-coat it, then put some minor fender flares on it. Our shop has a early 2000's F-250 that had that problem and that's exactly what they did.

I notice that Chevy trucks seems to have massive issues with the tailgate rusting out at the bottom...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
My porsche has giant rear wheel wells. They have simple plastic liners. Not only does it prevent rock wear and eventual rust, but they also divert air to areas for increased cooling. That shit cannot be hard to adopt for trucks.

Just a cheap spray would probably add 5 years of rust prevention

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

I really liked both early generations of SHO. My wife and I had a 1999 that we purchased in 2001, like the 1st gen SHO, they weren't cheap when new:

%2799%20window%20sticker%202.jpg

$29K in 1999 is $44K today adjusted...which was a ton for what you got.

It was an interesting car, I'll give you that. It want's really all that great looking, but that 3.4L V8 could run...and I mean run. It was a fun car to drive, especially on the highway. It also came with great suspension and brakes as well...

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Well it's best to drop the diesel now. They say they want diesels banned altogether by 2025. London, Paris, and a few other big cities want them gone by 2020.
yea that's never going to happen

it sounds hardcore virtuous tho

+9000 virtue achieved

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
fuck yea dat title in hand

StevenK

10 Year Member
yea that's never going to happen

it sounds hardcore virtuous tho

+9000 virtue achieved

Umm, they've already started phasing it in...

Maybe they'll miss 2020 but it won't be long after.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Steves confidence tells me it will be at least another 50 years before it is even a possibility to be actually seriously considered

minimum

StevenK

10 Year Member
Target for straight diesel cars nationwide is 2040 btw, but to be honest it'll never need to be implemented as technology will beat the legislation anyway.

I imagine they'll leave exemptions for classics etc even if they do bother actually banning them.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
also this is for diesel cars manufactured between 1997 to 2000 .. tf

whats with the tarded weakass promises

are they gonna ban unicorn crossbow hunting?

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
look if u want electric vehicle supremacy u need battery & solar collector tech

I'm not seeing massive R&D $ promises getting thrown around