Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Professor and the Madman- Mel Gibson and Sean Penn play the guys that pretty much start to compile and form the Oxford unabridged dictionary. It was okay.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
In addition to better pajamas, Solaris also has actual human characters in it. 2001 only has plot-forwarding automatons with human shape. Beep-beep-beep now this happens beep-beep-beep

Apples and oranges. 2001 is about mankind and its technological / societal achievements. Solaris is about a man and his connections to his mother, father, and ex wife. 2001 is very literally a motion picture.

When it comes to pacing, I'd argue that Solaris drags just as much as 2001, but it's not nearly as nice to look at.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Citizen X

Stephen Rea as a Russian forensic expert turned detective trying to stop a mass murderer in the 80s-90s. Donald Sutherland is his immediate superior. He and Rea have to deal with the politics of the time while trying to investigate the crimes.

The past few films I've mentioned have been brain candy this is a drama with little to no action scenes. I really enjoy this film.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Citizen X

Stephen Rea as a Russian forensic expert turned detective trying to stop a mass murderer in the 80s-90s. Donald Sutherland is his immediate superior. He and Rea have to deal with the politics of the time while trying to investigate the crimes.

The past few films I've mentioned have been brain candy this is a drama with little to no action scenes. I really enjoy this film.

Chikatilo was a real killer. The movie was great. Has the same vibe as the HBO miniseries Chernobyl.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The King of Staten Island- Judd Apatow movie about a loser with emotional problems that still lives with his mom. I honestly couldn't sit through the entire movie because the main actor was so unbelievably ugly.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The King of Staten Island- Judd Apatow movie about a loser with emotional problems that still lives with his mom. I honestly couldn't sit through the entire movie because the main actor was so unbelievably ugly.
I wanted to watch that for Bill Burr, but it's not a priority. Supposedly, the story is based on that ugly actor's life, his dad having been killed as a firefighter.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, I watched for Burr but he wasn't enough to get me to get through it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but Pete Davidson was too young getting into show business.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, I watched for Burr but he wasn't enough to get me to get through it.
I'm also not a fan of Apatow at all, so that was the other thing keeping me from watching it sooner. Some of the stuff he's produced is funny, but I don't like him as a director, and I think he comes off as a virtue signalling cancel culture douchebag in real life, quick to jump in on situations that have nothing to do with him.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I liked Superbad

Yeah Superbad is funny and still holds up well.

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot- Kevin Smith needs to be stopped. This is just awful, I mean I wasn't expecting much but holy shit what a fucking mess.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Shutter Island

I forget why, but I looked this up recently. I had seen it in theaters and thought it sucked. So when I looked it up I was shocked to see how high its scores were. I gave it another shot. I still think it stinks.

The acting goes from 0 to 10 in several spots. Leo's Boston accent is gross and distracting unless he's saying "escape" (which most people here pronounce as "excape") and the attempts at surrealism are just cringeworthy. That frequent take on "the beauty of mental illness" really rubs me the wrong way. There are also a few very out of place Scorsese moment. That tracking shot where they're showing a line of nazis being shot and falling over from left to right is one of those scenes that doesn't make actual sense but for some reason feels right in a certain type of movie. It doesn't work here, but it's one of those things that would cause someone from Scorsese's era to stand up and shout "the art of cinema!" in the theater. Barf.

Hot take - Scorsese has way more misses than hits.

Also, I forgot how far back Leo's dad bod goes.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Shutter Island

I forget why, but I looked this up recently. I had seen it in theaters and thought it sucked. So when I looked it up I was shocked to see how high its scores were. I gave it another shot. I still think it stinks.

The acting goes from 0 to 10 in several spots. Leo's Boston accent is gross and distracting unless he's saying "escape" (which most people here pronounce as "excape") and the attempts at surrealism are just cringeworthy. That frequent take on "the beauty of mental illness" really rubs me the wrong way. There are also a few very out of place Scorsese moment. That tracking shot where they're showing a line of nazis being shot and falling over from left to right is one of those scenes that doesn't make actual sense but for some reason feels right in a certain type of movie. It doesn't work here, but it's one of those things that would cause someone from Scorsese's era to stand up and shout "the art of cinema!" in the theater. Barf.

Hot take - Scorsese has way more misses than hits.

Also, I forgot how far back Leo's dad bod goes.
To me, he still looked like a kid in his dad's clothes in that movie.

But you're right, that movie is mediocre at best, if you're being super generous. But I wouldn't be surprised if the source novel was mediocre as well.

I'm not sure about your hit/miss ratio hot take. You could be right, I guess, but does it really matter when the hits were so good? I mean, if someone makes both Taxi Driver and Raging Bull in the space of 5 years, don't they pretty much get a pass for anything they do in the other 75 years of their life?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
So, I actually decided to open up and watch a DVD I bought: X-Men First Class.

Best X-Men movie I've seen to date. Exploring Professor X and Magneto's early relationship in film was great and I liked that they chose the Hellfire Club as the villains (Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw was cool). I really dug Azazel, a murderous red Nightcrawler copycat too. I enjoyed the movie, but the absolute highlight was Hugh Jackman telling Charles Xavier and Eric Lensherr to fuck off when they tried to recruit him while he was having a beer in the bar. That's the Wolverine I love!

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Don't bother with the other 2 new X-Men movies, especially the third. Just watch Logan.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
So, I actually decided to open up and watch a DVD I bought: X-Men First Class.

Best X-Men movie I've seen to date. Exploring Professor X and Magneto's early relationship in film was great and I liked that they chose the Hellfire Club as the villains (Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw was cool). I really dug Azazel, a murderous red Nightcrawler copycat too. I enjoyed the movie, but the absolute highlight was Hugh Jackman telling Charles Xavier and Eric Lensherr to fuck off when they tried to recruit him while he was having a beer in the bar. That's the Wolverine I love!

Days of Future Past is the follow up and the best X-Men movie in my book. Look for The Rogue Cut rather than the theatrical version.

Don't bother with Apocalypse or Dark Phoenix. Terrible. Logan and the Deadpool movies are worth a watch. I have New Mutants sitting beside my TV but I haven't popped it in yet.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
First Class was cool at the time but it's bullshit they killed Darwin. Introduce a character who specifically evolves to not die then kill him minutes later, brilliant.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
- Come to Daddy was predictable but a fun time, thank you for recommending it
- I didn't know there was a Jay and Silent Bob reboot, shame on that
- Superbad is still funny
- I concur with terry.330 about the newer x-men movies
-While I haven't watched Shutter Island since it originally came out I recall enjoying it, but that may not hold true on a rewatch. Also I want to watch early Scorsese now, like Mean Streets, Who's That Knockin at My Door

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Good X-Men movies:
X-Men
X2
X-Men: First Class
The Wolverine (Extended Cut)
X-Men: Days of Future Past (The Rogue Cut)
Deadpool
Logan
Deadpool 2

Terrible X-Men movies:
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men: Apocalypse
Dark Phoenix

TBD, but probably shitty:
The New Mutants