Firearm enthusiast thread

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
@ Darklighter:
=========

Was that MAC-10 in .45ACP or .9x19mm Luger (Parabellum) ? I seriously doubt that's a picture of the .380 MAC-11, though I could be wrong. Either way those are fun to shoot indeed. Got to fire one fully auto once at this Gun Convention thingy in '97. That Lever Rifle looks like it's actually been in a war. What's the story behind all these firearms down south?

:buttrock:
Fuckin' Sweet!

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
@ Darklighter:
=========

Was that MAC-10 in .45ACP or .9x19mm Luger (Parabellum) ? I seriously doubt that's a picture of the .380 MAC-11, though I could be wrong. Either way those are fun to shoot indeed. Got to fire one fully auto once at this Gun Convention thingy in '97. That Lever Rifle looks like it's actually been in a war. What's the story behind all these firearms down south?

:buttrock:
Fuckin' Sweet!

Tha MAC-10 is in .45 ACP full auto. It will empty the whole mag in about a second. I thoroughly cleaned the thing. According to the owner, since its' purchase in 75, it had never been cleaned. It ran like a champ though.

The other arms like the Ruger and the Colt Challenger possibly belonged the Mexican Army officials.

The Marlin lever action probably saw action in the Mex Revolution, but I can't confirm this. The thing looked like it had never seen a bore brush, but it is built like a tank and shot very well for its age.

I also had a chance to fire a WWII era M1 Carbine with a custom stock that had been worked very crudely from some type of red wood. I had the chance to disassemble and clean, but the rifle failed after 3 rounds.

Unfortunately, many of the arms are in poor finish shape due to very tight restrictions on firearms ownership.

Ammo down there was scarce and ridiculously expensive! $50+ for 20 round box of 7.62X39 and 60+ for .45ACP and 9mm.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Tha MAC-10 is in .45 ACP full auto. It will empty the whole mag in about a second. I thoroughly cleaned the thing. According to the owner, since its' purchase in 75, it had never been cleaned. It ran like a champ though.

The other arms like the Ruger and the Colt Challenger possibly belonged the Mexican Army officials.

The Marlin lever action probably saw action in the Mex Revolution, but I can't confirm this. The thing looked like it had never seen a bore brush, but it is built like a tank and shot very well for its age.

I also had a chance to fire a WWII era M1 Carbine with a custom stock that had been worked very crudely from some type of red wood. I had the chance to disassemble and clean, but the rifle failed after 3 rounds.

Unfortunately, many of the arms are in poor finish shape due to very tight restrictions on firearms ownership.

Ammo down there was scarce and ridiculously expensive! $50+ for 20 round box of 7.62X39 and 60+ for .45ACP and 9mm.

Interesting! That's damn expensive for ammo though. And I thought prices in the states were ridiculous.
Well at least you got to shoot some cool SMGs and stuff. Haven't had that opportunity in awhile.

As of tomorrow, I'm going to start using the...

SWM6438_Special.png

S&W M64 .38 Special

for my main duty weapon soon, over the...

RugerGP100357_Magnum.png

RUGER GP100 .357 Magnum

that is currently my "main duty weapon" with
the Beretta M9 being fielded from time to time.
Yep, I've gone bonkers for old school revolvers
indeed. Used to be I couldn't stand them outside
of a good Colt SAA (Single Action Army), but times
change and so have I. I'd rather have a good six shooter
with punch, that has it's weight carried center of gun and
light in the ass, than a semi-auto that's heavy in the ass
and is a pain (at least for me) after standing or patrolling
on my feet past the Four Hour mark.

My father showed me that stainless steel (another first for me)
.38SPL, and I loved it's quasi "cowboy" look more so than the
Ruger + it's lighter. And loaded with...

MagTech38splPGoldSeries125grJHP.jpg

I feel it will be better all around. It'll have deep penetration but
with maximum expand within the body. For my work, I'm begining
to think a .357 is just "too risky" for even hollow points of over
penetration in a rare case. I know I could fire .38spl +P rounds
out the Ruger, but I think I'm favoring (for once) a lighter pistol
but with the nice old west aesthetics. So I'll be heading out to
the range tomorrow to get acquainted with the M64 pistol, since
I'll probably just trade the old man my GP100 for it.
That's all I have to contrib to this thread this time.

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Went to a gun show this weekend. Man was it crowded, and people were buying guns everywhere even at the inflated prices. I just picked up some ammo since that's all I needed.

I can't wait to see how crowded the show in Tulsa will be in April. I bet you will not even be able to get close to the tabels.

Darklighterx

20 Year Member
Haha. It is crazy atm with the new cabinet in power and everyone fearing a ban. I too went to a show this weekend and picked up some ammo only. I was looking for a Sig 556 pistol and a Glock 17, but the prices were insane.

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I'm sure a ban will happen. The mass buying that's been going on will only keep prices high for the forseeable future. I'm having a hard time finding ammo at a good price. Walmart has the best prices, but they get a little in and it's all gone within a day or two. I wish I had spent money on guns instead of all the games I have.:emb:

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
That video was a good laugh.

Went shooting yesterday, but it was to damn windy and cold. We didn't get enough rounds through the new guns for me to feel confident enough to carry. Maybe we'll go indoors next time to finish the break in.:hammer:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Picked up my Springfield Armory XDm 9 today and I'm going to the range Sunday to try her out. I've shot the XD and liked it so I'm kind of excited to see how much better the M performs (according to professionals...much better). Have to say, it must just appeal to the kid in me but I really like the 2-tone color. After years of having older design firearms (revolver/1911/pump shotgun)...this thing seems rather "futuristic" in comparison.

XD_M_1.jpg

XD_M_2.jpg

Bought another hi-cap magazine while I still can as well...until them make them illegal here in Illinois like the did in California.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
perfect time for this thread to pop up.

i hate guns, so i was looking to pick one up. I shot my friend's Glock G22 a couple times and felt comfortable with that one. Do you guys use local shops to browse? magazine? websites?

Darklighterx

20 Year Member
perfect time for this thread to pop up.

i hate guns, so i was looking to pick one up. I shot my friend's Glock G22 a couple times and felt comfortable with that one. Do you guys use local shops to browse? magazine? websites?

Shops, mags, innanets, fun shows... all are good to browse. If you have a local range that rents the model you are interested in, give it a whirl.

A lot of folks hate on the Glocks, but you can't complain about their reliability.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I brought the 22 rifle that my dad bought me many years ago home a while back.

Not sure how the laws work on that kind of thing. Do you have to register a rifle or have like a proof of ownership or anything?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I brought the 22 rifle that my dad bought me many years ago home a while back.

Not sure how the laws work on that kind of thing. Do you have to register a rifle or have like a proof of ownership or anything?

Check your state laws.

I'm guessing you don't need to do anything (given what I know about FL and guns) but it's always worth a look at the law when it comes to firearms.

I found this, but didn't really look at it (though it appears you're in the clear):

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/FLSL.pdf

It's from the NRA-ILA (a branch of the NRA) and they usually have pretty accurate information on State Firearm laws.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Check your state laws.

I'm guessing you don't need to do anything (given what I know about FL and guns) but it's always worth a look at the law when it comes to firearms.

I found this, but didn't really look at it (though it appears you're in the clear):

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/FLSL.pdf

It's from the NRA-ILA (a branch of the NRA) and they usually have pretty accurate information on State Firearm laws.

OK cool. Just gotta go get a carry bag for it so I can take it to the range.

Probably need to clean it, whats that all about?

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I've never been a fan of the XDs, but I'll be damned if that XDm didn't feel nice! I can't believe how "small" the grip feels for 19 rounds. Frickin' amazing.:buttrock:

I'd recomend the rental route too. Best to try out different models before dropping the cash. Instead of the 22 I'd get the 23 since it's a tad smaller and would be easier to conceal. If that's not an issue the I'd still get the 23 and just use 22 mags as my backup. I have a 19 and 26 now and the 19 is just right. I've put six or seven hundred flawless rounds through it so far.

I picked up a 10/22 a few months ago and my next purchase might be one of those XDms or a Kahr PM9.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
One of my father's old Brownings that I inherited. I've always been fond of the factory gold plated trigger.

browning.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
OK cool. Just gotta go get a carry bag for it so I can take it to the range.

Do have you a motor vehicle now? One thing to look at in particular are your state laws with regard to where you can carry a firearm in your vehicle. Also whether it can be loaded or not, etc. You don't want to get pulled over for some bullshit and then get carried off to jail because you were accidentally stowing a concealed weapon. Usually stuff like this only happens if you carry your weapon within reach of the driver. If you put the weapon in your trunk you most likely have nothing to worry about. Reading the law can be annoying, but it's easy once you know it.

If you go to get ammunition at a gun shop (or even just go to a range) someone knowledgeable should be able to fill you in. Most gun owners are pretty nice about that stuff when you're trying to follow the law.

Probably need to clean it, whats that all about?

Yeah, you probably do need to clean it.

Not sure what exactly you want to know - but cleaning your gun ensures that it will operate correctly which means firing it will be safe.

Basically firing your gun leaves gunpowder and other residue in the barrel, action, etc - all the other relevant parts dealing with shooting it. Plus it can pick up dirt/dust/whatever based on where you're shooting. The humidity in FL is probably a bitch and you don't want that messing up your gun either.

Surely whoever gave you the gun has a cleaning kit? If not you uh could always pick up a cheap one at Wal-Mart :emb: They have instructions.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
I picked up a Taurus 24/7 OSS in the extended slide version and LOVE IT.

If I could only find a 16" post ban military contoured barrel for my AR-15 project rifle I could finally finish the damn thing!

TonK

Least Valuable Player
DSC02502.jpg

DSC02501.jpg

I love my Glock - even though all I really need is the Reaper.