Let's talk about the PSP.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Ive joined the PSP world today, 3000 model.

How is Initial D, are the japanese menu's a ruiner?

Is there actually any point to remote play, what can I do? I dont have a wireless network, can I get online with the PSP via my PS3's wifi? Cheers.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue

Is there actually any point to remote play, what can I do? I dont have a wireless network, can I get online with the PSP via my PS3's wifi? Cheers.

That's cool man. As for your questions: I don't know what that is; you can play PS1 games, watch videos/listen to music/view pictures on your PS3 HD and play a few PSN titles; I don't know.

J. Max

judas,

The game itself isn't that good. I'm not sure about your other question, as it sounds like you're trying to use the PS3 as a wireless router.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Lies. No one actually enjoys old-school RE. They just claim to in order to sound "hardcore."
Quit projecting. The first RE is still the best for the ground it broke and the atmosphere it brought... never matched -- much less exceeded -- by following installments. Each subsequent game became less 'horror' and more 'action'. If that suits your tastes, fine, knock yourself out. But you don't speak for everyone.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Me too. What I really respect about his abandoning of the MGS2-style story is how he listened to the fans — we didn't like that crazy shit, so he came back with MGS3. Fucking awesome.

Speak for yourself.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
And yeah, MGS4 (and likely Rising, too) have totally redeemed Raiden for me. I thought he was an interesting idea for a character that was executed really poorly (and oh, the whining),
It's funny, but if you ever get a chance to try the Japanese version of MGS2, Raiden seems like a COMPLETELY different character, just because of the voice acting. He's not whiny at all, and the different reading of the same lines makes an unbelievably big difference in how you perceive the character. I remember thinking, "well, yeah, this explains why he's popular in Japan. It's like a different guy."

Speak for yourself.
Seriously.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm sorry to hear the US version of Raiden is shit while the Japanese version is awesome.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'm sorry to hear the US version of Raiden is shit while the Japanese version is awesome.

I wouldn't go that far, but you definitely get a completely different impression of the character's personality from the 2 voice actors.

I'll take the whiny US Raiden, though, because I like the American voices for all the other characters. The Japanese Snake sounds like a macho Muppet to me.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'll forget about whiny Raiden if Metal Gear Rising is awesome enough.

Time for me to go play some more Peace Walker.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'll forget about whiny Raiden if Metal Gear Rising is awesome enough.

It never bothered me at all to begin with. Maybe because I'd heard so much complaining about it before I was able to play MGS2 myself. So when I did, I was ready for that and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as people had been complaining about, anyway.

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar

download AdHoc Party for PS3. Its an app that allows your PSP to bridge with your PS3's wifi and then use the PS3's wired connection to play online or get interwebz access.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It never bothered me at all to begin with. Maybe because I'd heard so much complaining about it before I was able to play MGS2 myself. So when I did, I was ready for that and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as people had been complaining about, anyway.

I found Raiden to be an unlikable character.

I also thought the whole story of MGS2 was a little out there. I didn't like a lot of enemy characters.

The gameplay was solid as could be though. I can't fault the game for that.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I found Raiden to be an unlikable character.

I also thought the whole story of MGS2 was a little out there. I didn't like a lot of enemy characters.

I understand peoples' complaints about the story, but it grew on me, and the surreality and (attempted) hard SF is now probably what I like the most about it. At some point, it becomes easier for me to enjoy that than a straight-ahead story that takes itself too seriously.

I agree the gameplay is what makes or breaks a MGS game, but the "Colonel" going batshit weird towards the end of MGS2 is one of the series' highlights for me.

BIG

sony fanboy
can peace walker run on a cfw'd psp 2000?
i've been out of the loop :emb:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Big: if you have a really recent CFW, it can fool the game into thinking you h ave 6.2, and it will play.

About the earlier remote play question:

It basically lets you control your PS3 with the PSP. Whatever you would see on the PS3 screen, you can see on the PSP, so you can watch videos, listen to music, or surf PSN on your PSP without transfering stuff over. You can also play PS1 games if you have a PS1 game in the disc drive, but since the connection is a litte laggy it's not that useful.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I understand peoples' complaints about the story, but it grew on me, and the surreality and (attempted) hard SF is now probably what I like the most about it. At some point, it becomes easier for me to enjoy that than a straight-ahead story that takes itself too seriously.

I agree the gameplay is what makes or breaks a MGS game, but the "Colonel" going batshit weird towards the end of MGS2 is one of the series' highlights for me.

Twist after twist after twist was just a little too M. Night Shamalama-ding-dong for my liking, but hey. It's probably been 8 years since I've played the game.

I finally downloaded a bunch of PSP demos on my PS3 and then transferred them over to my PSP. That's an awesome feature.

Everywhere locally to me has a real poor selection of PSP games. I'll have to actually drive to gamespot I guess and see what they have.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Quit projecting. The first RE is still the best for the ground it broke and the atmosphere it brought... never matched -- much less exceeded -- by following installments. Each subsequent game became less 'horror' and more 'action'. If that suits your tastes, fine, knock yourself out. But you don't speak for everyone.

Pretty sure he was joking. :tickled:

Speak for yourself.

Heh, well, I'm a MGS mega-fan, and even I think the story in MGS2 is a little... much. I don't hate it or anything, but it's not my favourite, I'll tell you that much. Anyway, the only point I was trying to make was that it was unpopular (and there's no denying that), and the story in MGS3 seemed like a return to the form of MGS1. I respect Kojima for that. He could have just as easily said, "Fuck the fans!" and carried on with his craziness. It's not like that's never happened before.

It's funny, but if you ever get a chance to try the Japanese version of MGS2, Raiden seems like a COMPLETELY different character, just because of the voice acting. He's not whiny at all, and the different reading of the same lines makes an unbelievably big difference in how you perceive the character. I remember thinking, "well, yeah, this explains why he's popular in Japan. It's like a different guy."

Seriously.

I did not know that. Sounds pretty interesting.

I was under the impression that Raiden was a lot less popular than Snake in Japan too, though. In an interview, Kojima said that the origin of the character was based on focus groups comprised of 14 year old girls (seriously) who were the types of people he wanted to get to try MGS2. They thought Snake was old and unappealing, so he came up with Raiden.

Given the in-jokes in MGS3 that make so much fun of Raiden, it seems that Kojima realized that making him the main character was a mistake.

The Japanese Snake sounds like a macho Muppet to me.

I'm with you there. The Japanese Snake is awful and David Hayter is fucking perfect. Easy choice, even if all the other actors suck (and they don't).

Everywhere locally to me has a real poor selection of PSP games. I'll have to actually drive to gamespot I guess and see what they have.

I suspect they won't have a whole hell of a lot at your local Gamestop either, if it's anything like up here. I find I buy a lot of my PSP games brand new, while they're still in stock. Otherwise I almost always have to buy 'em online. Either way, good luck in your search for MGS:PO and Acid 1&2.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Amazon has Acid 2 for $39, which is more than it cost at one point, but still worth it, imo. Portable Ops and Acid 1 are kind of pricey, though. I'm surprised Konami and Sony let PO fall out of print. I'd have thought they'd keep it around as a Greatest Hits.

But holy crap, amazon has Portable Ops Plus for $8.25. Definitely jump on that. It's not a substitute for regular Portable Ops, but it is a great game in its own right. If you like MGS for the gameplay, you will love PO Plus. Fun fun fun.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You can download Portable Ops, Portable Ops Plus, and an MGS Digital Comic from the PSN Store for $30. It's under the "bundles" section.

I'd rather get UMD copies though. Mainly because I still need to get another memory stick.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
I wouldn't go that far, but you definitely get a completely different impression of the character's personality from the 2 voice actors.

I'll take the whiny US Raiden, though, because I like the American voices for all the other characters. The Japanese Snake sounds like a macho Muppet to me.

How can you say that and think that David Hayter doesn't??

Hayter is waaaay more guilty of that. I can't listen to his 'Snake'.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
How can you say that and think that David Hayter doesn't??

Hayter is waaaay more guilty of that. I can't listen to his 'Snake'.

You're out of your mind. Hayter is doing his version of a Kurt Russel Snake, which is exactly what the character should sound like. Now, okay, Kurt Russel sounds a little ridiculous in Escape From New York doing his would-be Eastwood impersonation, but done is done. It's too late to go back in time and have Russel impersonate Jim Henson or Frank Oz instead. Sorry.