Post your High School stereotype

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Back in the 80s-90s, I was a gamer then, just as I am now.

Now, mind you, this was back when gamers where at the bottom of the social ladder, even among nerds.

Gaming didn't come to prominence and become more mainstream until around 10? years ago?

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Typical nerd, comics and video games ruled everything around me

Neither was in vogue as it is now, well video games at least

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Hey Greg. You're 35. Quit thinking about high school and go out and make some new memories.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Hey Greg. You're 35. Quit thinking about high school and go out and make some new memories.
This is my favorite post from you in a while. I laughed before I caught myself and disguised it as a cough.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member

Very funny, Sage, but that shit still haunts me to this day. What's that song they used to play at Walgreens when I worked there? "These are the good ol' days?" Gotta live for today and make memories of today, and in the future.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I was a hybrid nerd/band geek. I was known by more people then I knew though since I was very gregarious and....loud. I remember visiting the high school for their homecoming after I left for college and not knowing who half the people who were trying to talk to me were.

I don't think much of that period, I was wrapped up in a culture that I thankfully grew out of. I was into things, not based on merit, but based on what it was (Anime, anything japanese basically). As I got into college I became much more critical of everything around me and of my interests (I'm not gonna lie, NG.com taught me some of that).

I wonder if I will even attend the 10 year reunion, I barely give a shit about anyone from my graduating year, I don't consistently talk to anyone from that group, the only person was killed two years later in a school shooting. High school sucked, if you think it was the best time of your life you missed the point, you missed what life is about and are not realizing how great life gets outside of the walls of public school.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I was a hybrid nerd/band geek. I was known by more people then I knew though since I was very gregarious and....loud. I remember visiting the high school for their homecoming after I left for college and not knowing who half the people who were trying to talk to me were.

I don't think much of that period, I was wrapped up in a culture that I thankfully grew out of. I was into things, not based on merit, but based on what it was (Anime, anything japanese basically). As I got into college I became much more critical of everything around me and of my interests (I'm not gonna lie, NG.com taught me some of that).

I wonder if I will even attend the 10 year reunion, I barely give a shit about anyone from my graduating year, I don't consistently talk to anyone from that group, the only person was killed two years later in a school shooting. High school sucked, if you think it was the best time of your life you missed the point, you missed what life is about and are not realizing how great life gets outside of the walls of public school.

Right. College was different for me. The first two years I was lonely and pathetic like I am now, studying my ass off and having no joy in my life, but I made the dean's list in community college and got straight As, even in Business Calculus. I remember the only way I got through Business Calculus was to take PE101 where you exercised for credit, and then I went home and did one problem on one side of a piece of paper. Did that for 8. Hours. A. Day. I had panic attacks and everything.

The last two years of college, I totally screwed off. Played Dreamcast like a motherfucker. The games of the day were House of the Dead 2, Dynamite Cop, Zombie Revenge, and mainly KoF '98. My Friends and I played those games MERCILESSLY, but could never beat HotD2 because of the shitty US guns that were off kilter no matter which one you used. And Crazy Taxi was played to fuck too, with a wheel. In fact, my friends and I used two different wheels, but the controls were still shitty. Zombie Revenge we could only beat in gun mode. Controls were too shitty to beat it otherwise.

Why bother going to a reunion? It'll just be a bunch of self-righteous assholes bragging about how they're married, have kids, have big houses, yadda yadda yadda. No one has a fucking sense of humility anymore. Besides, you don't need reunions when you have facebook/google +.

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Right. College was different for me. The first two years I was lonely and pathetic like I am now, studying my ass off and having no joy in my life, but I made the dean's list in community college and got straight As, even in Business Calculus. I remember the only way I got through Business Calculus was to take PE101 where you exercised for credit, and then I went home and did one problem on one side of a piece of paper. Did that for 8. Hours. A. Day. I had panic attacks and everything.

The last two years of college, I totally screwed off. Played Dreamcast like a motherfucker. The games of the day were House of the Dead 2, Dynamite Cop, Zombie Revenge, and mainly KoF '98. My Friends and I played those games MERCILESSLY, but could never beat HotD2 because of the shitty US guns that were off kilter no matter which one you used. And Crazy Taxi was played to fuck too, with a wheel. In fact, my friends and I used two different wheels, but the controls were still shitty. Zombie Revenge we could only beat in gun mode. Controls were too shitty to beat it otherwise.

Why bother going to a reunion? It'll just be a bunch of self-righteous assholes bragging about how they're married, have kids, have big houses, yadda yadda yadda. No one has a fucking sense of humility anymore. Besides, you don't need reunions when you have facebook/google +.

I loved college. Freshmen year I was a bit of the same from high school, but by sophmore year I really started to shed skin and become someone I truly liked. Studying abroad helped me become something amazing that I was happy to be.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Yeah man, fuck those self-righteous assholes for getting married, having kids, owning a home, just uh...doing what's normal, instead of living with their parents and working dead end jobs and not having sex for 16 years. Fuck those guys.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Yeah man, fuck those self-righteous assholes for getting married, having kids, owning a home, just uh...doing what's normal, instead of living with their parents and working dead end jobs and not having sex for 16 years. Fuck those guys.

Take a mother fucking bow, man.

Classic!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Not anywhere near exciting as HSotD, that's for sure.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue

Ha ha ha, ouch.

As for me, I was a total outsider. I was friends with people in all kinds of cliques, but didn't belong to any myself. I just did my own thing. I actually had a damn good time in high school, and there's still a couple dudes I'm good friends with. I skipped the 10 year reunion, though. If I'm not in contact with someone, chances are I don't want to be, so what's the point? I had no desire to catch up with anyone, either.

Marek

Banned
Started out as a hyperactive freak that didnt know what was going on.

Finished a stoned freak with an IDGAF attitude towards everything.

There are plenty of people I'd like to hang out with again. But all in all I only have a few die-hard friends from that time period.

I went to an all-male high school and middle school. Shit was ridiculous.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I kinda dabbled in all of the crowds

The jocks liked me because I was the only tutor who wasn’t a complete loser

Girls liked me because I was cute and liked to talk and flirt in class

The punks liked me because I got to spend a lot of quality time with them in detention (for talking to girls in class)

Nerds liked me because I served as their glimmer of hope (because although I had nerd-ish tendencies, I was still well liked/respected by other non-nerds).

The artsy fartsies liked me because I played music.

Preppies liked me because everyone else did

I was even voted homecoming king.

Even the teachers liked me because even though I talked a lot in class, I was still a good student.

Yeah I was all kinds of awesome. Now I’m old, chubby, bald, cranky and un-loved.

DON”T JUDGE MEEEEEEEEEE

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
I was a nerd to a T but I was a cool black nerd. :P I apparently attracted a lot of ladies but I was so damn blind to the fact, I didn't notice it until towards the end of my senior year.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Let's see... I was so into punk rock I couldn't handle it. But, I didn't hang out with the "Punk rockers." I went skateboarding just about every day after school. I shot an average of probably two rolls of film a day. I was really into Phantasy Star. I was on the newspaper staff. I got a 4.0 out of 4.0 the first quarter of my senior year. Most people liked me, but I liked very, very few people during high school.

It was what it was. I wasn't too into it, but I guess it might be nice to see a couple people from back then. My 10 year reunion is next year (bananas, by the way). If I'm back in the States by then, maybe I'll go. If not, no sweat.

aria

Former Moderator
Theater guy, active in lots of non-sports. First senior at me high school to get the award for being involved without having played a sport.

aria

Former Moderator

As he's mentioned before, Greg now lives in a house he owns, free-and-clear and without a mortgage in a nice part of the Twin Cities because he saved up his money and, in some aspect of luck, had the money when the housing market was extra soft and could buy in a nice area. How many people here can say that? I can't.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
High school? Glad that shit is over, definitely. (I didn't buy a class ring, didn't buy a year book, didn't even go to graduation.) Back then I fell into the goth and geek categories, which never bothered me. I met a lot of cool people and a lot of frustrating people, though unfortunately, the former outweighed the latter. But that's to be expected when you and everyone around you are clueless adolescents. College is much better than high school, at least for me.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I kinda dabbled in all of the crowds

The jocks liked me because I was the only tutor who wasn’t a complete loser

Girls liked me because I was cute and liked to talk and flirt in class

The punks liked me because I got to spend a lot of quality time with them in detention (for talking to girls in class)

Nerds liked me because I served as their glimmer of hope (because although I had nerd-ish tendencies, I was still well liked/respected by other non-nerds).

The artsy fartsies liked me because I played music.

Preppies liked me because everyone else did

I was even voted homecoming king.

Even the teachers liked me because even though I talked a lot in class, I was still a good student.

Yeah I was all kinds of awesome. Now I’m old, chubby, bald, cranky and un-loved.

DON”T JUDGE MEEEEEEEEEE

I have learned to love you.

Gigaton Chode

Zero's Tailor
I stopped showing up at my education camp in in my sophomore year, that shit's for the drones.