CRT Fetish Thread

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I messaged the guy last night but haven't had any reply.
I don't have much hope but if he still has it then I'm gonna take a little 3 hour drive to Seattle!

Hi peeps new here. Here's some shitty iPhone pics of my KV-32FV310 with S-Video.

296ixbd.jpg2jg9ycm.jpg30247c4.jpg2vtcosw.jpg28tkxdy.jpg

I'm fairly satisfied with what I have now (considering I got the TV for free) but I would love to get my hands on a RGB monitor. Being that I live in southern Cali I see them pop up fairly often but I hardly see any at a reasonable price. Best deal I've seen so far was a PVM-2530 for $150 though I still consider that a bit too high. Seems like I'm going to have to pay that much for one since they are selling at that rate.

That XM29 posted earlier though omg :drool:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You might want to look into getting a RGB to Component transcoder to go with that Sony set. To be honest, if I had that set with a good transcoder I'm not certain I'd be dicking around with a 20" PVM.

You might want to look into getting a RGB to Component transcoder to go with that Sony set. To be honest, if I had that set with a good transcoder I'm not certain I'd be dicking around with a 20" PVM.

Thanks for the tip. All this stuff is fairly new to me so I'm not even sure if getting a PVM is worth the cost to upgrade. I've considered that option but I figured I would just wait for HD Retrovision component cables to come out in hopefully a couple of months.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member

I have a couple key digital devices that are VGA to Component, and though they say 480p and up, they work fine with 240p. On a toshiba consumer tube it looks great. Not PVM quality, but definitely good enough. With a supergun it looks about the same as the nanao monitor in my blast city.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, I know what you mean. That's one of the best consumer SD sets ever, and is huge, and I'd probably take the increased size of the TV over the slight color clarity advantage of the PVM.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
I have a couple key digital devices that are VGA to Component, and though they say 480p and up, they work fine with 240p. On a toshiba consumer tube it looks great. Not PVM quality, but definitely good enough. With a supergun it looks about the same as the nanao monitor in my blast city.
If Key Digital's RGB to Component offerings are of the same quality as their Component to RGB, I second that.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I know for sure the kd-vtca3 vga to component converter works great with 240p. I also have a KD-VA5 (which is both a VGA to Component, and Component to VGA) which has the same dip switch setting to accept RGB + CV (cvid) / SCART video on the RGBHV (vga) input. It says supported resolutions start at 480p but so did the kd-vtca3, and that had no problem taking 240p. I could test the VA5 if someone needed me to, but I'm fairly certain it would work the same as the VTCA3

Since they are VGA to Component you have to use something like scart -> BNC followed by BNC -> VGA, or I believe you can obtain direct scart -> VGA cables. Csync or Cvid goes on the Hsync input pin.

This is just a crappy cellphone pic of driller G running on a toshiba consumer TV via the KD-VTCA3.

12201019_10153891212472448_1220471719_n.jpg

Last edited:

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
UPS needs to be avoided like the plague for shipping CRTs. If you can't afford freight and it's too far for pickup, insist on FedEx. UPS is the absolute worst. They have now damaged three CRTs shipped to me. See this very informative post from Skips who I believe posts here as well.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52920
You also NEVER should ship a CRT via standard UPS services if using the boxed way of shipping, always use FedEx over UPS standard services. Now Fedex will still have its problems and risks (especially if you pack it poorly) however UPS has a MUCH greater risk. The lines in the main shipping hubs have a 5-6 foot drop somewhere in their shipping line. Even if packed by the gods this still has a high chance of damaging the monitor. Although it could get by without case or circuit board damage, large falls like this can cause damage to the aperture grille or shadow mask (depending on which your monitor has). It can also knock the convergence/purity rings loose and good luck fixing that shit if you are not a CRT pro.

I've had about 42 monitors shipped to my door since 2013, 12 UPS and 30 Fedex. All 12 CRT's that came via UPS came smashed beyond repair with either case/circuit board damage or damage to the aperture grille/shadow mask (most common problem). Out of the Fedex Monitors I have now had 4 get to my door damaged, the rest were perfectly fine. All four damaged monitors were because the shipper either sent them loose in a box or with only a thin layer of paper/bubblewrap. I have yet to lose a properly packaged monitor via Fedex. UPS also IGNORES fragile stickers so dont fucking bother with them. I called and asked them to stick stickers on a monitor about 6 months ago (seller shipped it UPS when I paid for Fedex) and asked them to stick fragile stickers on it. Those fuckers told me they don't have any fragile stickers and that they handle all the packages the same. You might as well just tell them to roll the monitor to your door because this is pretty much what they do on their lines and handlers.

http://www.retromods.net/viewtopic.php?t=105
Next never ship a CRT via UPS. I found out from a retired Sony technician that sells BVM's for a living that UPS has a 5-6 foot drop in their major hubs. It does not matter how much packaging you put around a CRT, this will almost certainly damage it. ALWAYS ship via FedEx or some other carrier, UPS is a big no no for CRT's. If someone does not offer FedEx demand shipping insurance because chances are it wont make it in one piece. Out of the 30 or so CRT's I have had shipped to me over the past few years I have yet to see one arrive in one piece that was send via UPS.

I can vouch for damage to the aperture grille damage being common as it just happened to me again, the first time being a 14" PVM arriving with a wrecked grille. Another monitor, 20" BVM with very low hours, arrived with a cracked front bezel but thankfully otherwise fine. Fucking bullshit. I'm extra pissed this time because this wasn't any old PVM. It's a JVC DT-V1710CG, a 17" HD CRT monitor. Luckily it's not terrible and in some game scenes it's not too noticeable. Where the damage has happened it almost looks like the screen is a little dirty/streaked behind the outer glass. The worst of course is the borked purity (discoloration). I *think* this at least can be alleviated with a few well-placed magnets but I'm not too sure. Degauss button and a degauss coil do nothing to fix this.

monads

Mr. Big's Thug
10 Year Member
The Sony KV-1311CR is back up and running!!! Here's a pick for you!!!

IMG_1099.jpg

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Does anyone in the Denver, CO area want a 32" Sony WEGA Trinitron TV? It is in great condition with many various inputs. I do not see myself getting back into retro gaming so I am offering it up.

Thank you,

GAMEFAN