NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11
Samsung SD card inside: (Click on image to enlarge)

If someone wants to make itself, you can use my description:
Tutorial: SD adapter tutorial and games converter
If there is one who can not or do not want to create the inverse of the SD card let me know and I will be happy to prepare it.
Details of a private message. inquire.

Last edited:

Danthor9

n00b
@neogeohu
I'm unable to PM you, so I registered at your site as you suggested under the same username. I'm in need of an adapter! My email address should be in the registry!

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Neogeohu, thanks for the help and suggestion ill hunt down a Samsung one. Also you asked about unibios 3.1 I don't think you can get it just yet on the site.

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11
@neogeohu
I'm unable to PM you, so I registered at your site as you suggested under the same username. I'm in need of an adapter! My email address should be in the registry!

Yes, I see!
I will send you an e-mail.

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11
Neogeohu, thanks for the help and suggestion ill hunt down a Samsung one. Also you asked about unibios 3.1 I don't think you can get it just yet on the site.

Temporarily not free the unibios 3.1.
It would be necessary to test it only.
Testing I do not want to buy it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
neogeohu:

Just a friendly warning: The author of the Unibios is on this site and has been a valuable contributor for years. Unibios 3.1 is not free, so unless Razoola gives permission, forget about it.

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11
neogeohu:

Just a friendly warning: The author of the Unibios is on this site and has been a valuable contributor for years. Unibios 3.1 is not free, so unless Razoola gives permission, forget about it.

Thank you for the warning.
And I forgot it already...

jrronimo

n00b
Hi lads...

Things look like it's going well... glad most of you have private messaging privileges now... saves me hassle...

Anyway, It'd be nice if one of you guys put a definitive guide up... once all the kinks are resolved...

It'd be nice to see the results of all the hard work... and also... I'd like it here and not some weird foreign website...

xROTx

PS. As per.... no posts or links to rom'z... just a nice guide plz... thx....

At the moment, the only thing that's working is to hand-make a SD converter. That and the associated config file should be easy enough to guide-up...

I'm still hoping for more in-depth hacking, but I'm busy for at *least* the next week... Stupid life getting in the way of my NGX fun. :D

jrronimo

n00b
No you don't do it that way.. You just do this.. Where x is the total number of ROMs on the sd..

card_game_work_path=/mnt/mmc/card_game/
card_game_number=x

So I have 35 roms.. It would be

card_game_work_path=/mnt/mmc/card_game/
card_game_number=35

Also when you make the config file use notepad and go to "save as" save it as "game_card_configure.conf"

BE SURE you use the " " too when saving the file... If you dont it will save as game_card_configure.conf.txt

Putting the " " around the file name makes sure it saves as the .conf extension.

Where does the game_card_configure.conf file go? on the SD card or somewhere in the NGX's firmware?

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
neogeohu thank you for all the help you given me when I asked.
I found out something interesting my NGX isnt even reading ninja masters from the card slot. Explains why my modified SD card wasnt being read. Time to do a tear down and see if anything is broken :/

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
You probably pushed the original pins past the point of contact (if your SD adapter was a tight fit)... this is the result of using these modded SD micro adapters, it is much less work to just do an internal swap of the original reader's outer pins. Then you can use regular SD cards (or unmodded micro adapters), the only down side is that you won't be able to read "real" NGX game cards...

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
So you think I damaged the SD socket itself? Thats why its not even reading the Original Ninja masters it came with?

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
I found my Issue. I'm in a better mood now :) it was a busted SD card socket. time to replace or fix it lol.

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
Yeah, sounds like it to me. If you can't bend the original pins back into place, just remove the original SD reader and solder some wires to an unmodified micro SD adapter (crossing the pins via the wires to the pads on the board). Use 3M heavy duty mounting tape (the black 3M is REALLY strong), mount it in the original SD reader's place and you'll basically have a hardwired micro SD slot instead of the traditional one... unless you were planning on using the single game cards Tommo *might* release, you won't lose any functionality. I plan to buy the single card releases (IF they do release any) and just keep them in their blister cards seeing as how I can access my entire MVS library (yes, I'm only running games in which I own) on my NGX now.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
I am going to fix this one and keep it the way it is till Tommo releases more game cards (as I do plan on buying :) ) and I might pick up a second one and do exactly as you suggested. Off to ebay I go to hunt down a SD card slot. Or to radio shack hoping they have the ones for arduino board.

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
hi!
this video is mine, if you've any questions, join me by mp ;)
greg

Hi, since you are using a 337 unit, have you installed/flashed the modified emulator/firmware which improves the HDMI and gives you pixel perfect resolution on the handheld's LCD itself? I don't see anyone discussing the 337 units anymore... maybe there just aren't that many 337s out there. It's a shame because the HDMI and LCD screen resolutions are SO improved that I think it would shut down alot of the complaints people have about the NGX. Seeing as how the terrible video out is a result of bad programming, here's hoping that Tommo gets everyone an update so that they can see what the NGX is really capable of.

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
For everyone who needs clean looking icons, hang tight as I've been working on a complete set for the community. I'll be posting the link here as soon as I'm finished (the zip will contain ALL the icons without any paypal donations required ;) Here's an example of the quality:
bios.png

kof98.png

ninmast.png

garou.png

svc.png

Mattroid

Edo Express Delivery Guy
15 Year Member
Thank you for the warning.
And I forgot it already...

FYI, as far as this site is concerned, asking for or posting the latest version of unibios is the same as asking for or posting game roms. I would not openly dismiss such a warning.

Last edited:

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
I just created a tutorial thread that details the process of modifying the SD adapter and getting the ROMs on to the NGX.

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11
neogeohu thank you for all the help you given me when I asked.
I found out something interesting my NGX isnt even reading ninja masters from the card slot. Explains why my modified SD card wasnt being read. Time to do a tear down and see if anything is broken :/

Sorry but I do not understand the question.