NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Greetings,
I have been away for a month, and I come back and see all sorts of activity going on! that is good news! OK, please forgive me if this has already been asked, but could you kindly:

1) Point to a link which tells me which hardware revision is the best?
2) Point to a link which shows step by step method
3) How do I determine my version?

Thanks!

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
Greetings,
I have been away for a month, and I come back and see all sorts of activity going on! that is good news! OK, please forgive me if this has already been asked, but could you kindly:

1) Point to a link which tells me which hardware revision is the best?
2) Point to a link which shows step by step method
3) How do I determine my version?

Thanks!

1. The 337 revision is the "best" for hacking because the information for the entire system is stored on an internal micro SD.
2. We had a tutorial thread but the mods deemed it inappropriate so there will probably be no links to how its done here.
3. Simply press the menu button on the game selection screen and it will tell you which revision you have.

mosaic

n00b
I'm not sure what went down, but I keep coming back every few days to see if someone's come up with an easy way to flash the firmware to use ack's resolution fix... so hey, I'm glad this thread still exists, because I don't want my hope to be entirely dead :) I'm so thankful to you guys that are soldering SD adapters and tinkering with the system files, because if I did that it'd be brick city. I'm going to go back to lurking now...

... this thread > Tommo's dedication to the product.

aurelios69

n00b
I dont know why the fuc*** is everyone thinking that the console production was canceled. May be some of those stupid people wishing for the console to fail, that when they read somewhere that the production as over, and they built the rest of the news from there...
When the neo geo X gold edition was anounced, was also said that it will be produced in limited quantities.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I dont know why the fuc*** is everyone thinking that the console production was canceled. May be some of those stupid people wishing for the console to fail, that when they read somewhere that the production as over, and they built the rest of the news from there...
When the neo geo X gold edition was anounced, was also said that it will be produced in limited quantities.

Its like the same people keep saying no more games will come out too. Its fine hating on the system but unless their facts are based on official reports then the only reason I can see for posting these things is to try to annoy the owners as nothing better to do :)

Yamazaki_RJ

Overtop Pathfinder
I was surprised when I knew about, and in a japanese site. Good to know its just a hoax.

I keep reading in this thread how the NGX hard and software are cheap and poorly designed. It wasnt hard to believe that TOMMO has dropped it.

Well, Im happy to know that is still in production. I plan to buy one when TOMMO create a update to fix the NGX issues.

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
1. The 337 revision is the "best" for hacking because the information for the entire system is stored on an internal micro SD.
2. We had a tutorial thread but the mods deemed it inappropriate so there will probably be no links to how its done here.
3. Simply press the menu button on the game selection screen and it will tell you which revision you have.

I thought the 370 was more suitable for hacking? Please correct me if I am wrong: I have two systems: one 370 and one 337, and I am about to return one. Which one should I keep?

Thanks.

This happens if any of the files are named badly.. like if you name one of the .fba files as a .gba, or use a , instead of a . naming your files etc.

if you get as far as the logo appearing for a game-card, then it's something simple wrong - bad filenames, or wrong file count in the .conf or garbage in the .conf (use NOTEPAD in windows or kwrite in linux not WORD etc.) or you don't have a .png for wach .fba.. also: you don't need to size the .pngs all the same, you can use anything as the .png as long as it is named properly.

Hey Guys, I inserted the sd adapter with the necessary files and wiring; The neo geo x reads it as a game card but pressing any button doesn't do anything. I pressed start, and all the other buttons and combinations but to no avail. I can play all the other games inside with no problem, but the sd does nothing. Any thoughts or theories as why this is happening. I have a 3.70!

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
I thought the 370 was more suitable for hacking? Please correct me if I am wrong: I have two systems: one 370 and one 337, and I am about to return one. Which one should I keep?

Thanks.

No the 337 is the better one. If your going to return one it should definitely be the 370 one.

Zeek

n00b
I keep reading in this thread how the NGX hard and software are cheap and poorly designed.

Yeah the Up and Left buttons on mine decided they wouldn't be so 'clicky' today - they still work fine however.

Anyway - back on topic. I soldered my adaptor using IDE cables - and cos I made a mess of it actually cut parts of the coating away to make it all line up. Having some issues - got files all converted correctly and named right. Time to check continuity!

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Can someone please elaborate on the difference (links) between the two hardware revisions: 337 and 370 that is.

Thanks.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Can someone please elaborate on the difference (links) between the two hardware revisions: 337 and 370 that is.

Thanks.

337 has an SD card slot, 370 replaces that with a chip. 337 is "better" because you can take that card out and view it on a computer.

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
337 has an SD card slot, 370 replaces that with a chip. 337 is "better" because you can take that card out and view it on a computer.

OK, thanks. My 370 has matching colored screws, whereas the 337 model screws are generic silver colored. (which I swapped to make my 337 look cooler and ready for mod)

Last edited:

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
For everyone who needs clean looking icons, hang tight as I've been working on a complete set for the community. I'll be posting the link here as soon as I'm finished (the zip will contain ALL the icons without any paypal donations required ;) Here's an example of the quality:

Looks good. Nice job man.

Last edited:

Zeek

n00b
Are pins 3 and 6 on the SD side supposed to be bridged? I just noticed that all my adaptors have that - I tried with them joined and separated and still no joy. Got all my files squared away correctly - made sure the fba converter encounted no errors and still nothing. My SD slot works (I dreaded opening Ninja Masters to test). I guess it is back to the drawing board for me!

neogeohu

The Ultimate 11
Are pins 3 and 6 on the SD side supposed to be bridged? I just noticed that all my adaptors have that - I tried with them joined and separated and still no joy. Got all my files squared away correctly - made sure the fba converter encounted no errors and still nothing. My SD slot works (I dreaded opening Ninja Masters to test). I guess it is back to the drawing board for me!

SD Adapter not compatible for NGX

Has anyone played with "card_game_work_path" in "game_card_configure.conf"? Since it's not a relative path, I'm wondering if you could just do "/mnt/memory/card_game/" or something similar to point to the partition that you can access through USB and have your game images there. Seems too simple, but just curious if anyone with an adapter/modified SD slot has tried something like that.

If that happens to work, then my next question would be has anyone been able to successfully write back a dump of the Ninja Master's image to the Ninja Master's card itself? I imagine if that worked, then the modified card would be able to pass the SPI initialization and point to the new work path.

hkamuro

n00b
Great Job, I am waiting for your clean looking icons. :)

For everyone who needs clean looking icons, hang tight as I've been working on a complete set for the community. I'll be posting the link here as soon as I'm finished (the zip will contain ALL the icons without any paypal donations required ;) Here's an example of the quality:
bios.png

kof98.png

ninmast.png

garou.png

svc.png

Neo*Geo*Ordo

New Challenger
There is already a full set of icons available.

http://www.multiupload.nl/L8050L5A71
Yeah, last I tried to download them it was only the first 50 titles and a readme about paypal donations. Huh, I guess I'll finish mine up anyhow seeing as how my reflections are more accurate compared to the stock icons (the current complete set has the reflections at a different size, notice how the reflection for the next game in the menu fits on the screen... the stock ones are cut off). I've got other ideas as well... AES cases with reflections... MVS mini marquees with reflections... ect. Unless someone has a complete set of those, in which case point me to 'em!