WTF happened?

daranus

Banned
Never heard that one before. And now go back to your holes and stop trolling this forum ty.

daranus

Banned
That one wasn't even a bad one and I am humbled by that interest. However, I am sick of narrowminded people talking bs without thinking.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
That one wasn't even a bad one and I am humbled by that interest. However, I am sick of narrowminded people talking bs without thinking.

I like how you have used narrowminded twice in this thread, that tells me you just learned that big word. I guess you learned something after all.

mr_e

Tarma's Gun Polisher
that thread was attracting way too many gypsies, we're better off.

I recognize the issue with the hundreds that have flocked here after the engadget/hackaday exposure with less than honorable intentions. But there are a few of us that are in it for the challenge of reverse engineering this thing.

Someone with the understanding to know whats legit and whats cruft should be given the opportunity to pick through that thread and retain the valid info. Or maybe appoint a technical moderator to the subforum to police it.

And to all this high and mighty anti-rom bullshit.

http://www.neostore.com/Multigame-161-in-1-English-AES-p/21.htm

That little cart right there, being sold on this site, is packed to hilt with the EXACT SAME ROMS that people are getting excited about. The same ones you can get everywhere else on the internet for free. That, is piracy. Profiting from the intellectual property of others.

BloodShed

New Challenger
I've been extremely busy with work this week, so I haven't been around. I came by to finally update everyone on progress with adapters but the thread was deleted. The hacking thread is still here though. What else is missing?

I'm seriously not sure why it was deleted. There were no ROMs involved (at least not last time I looked).

Obviously, it doesn't bother me if the moderators don't like the idea selling adapters. I just wish someone said something sooner. There was plenty of opportunity since the discussion had been going on for several weeks with no complaint from anyone. I'm just curious why there was an apparently sudden response.

In my personal opinion, I think it's silly to worry. If everyone wanted an easy way to pirate Neo Geo, it's already available! There's a decent Neo Geo emulator on every platform from your PC to your cell phone. In fact, from my experience, the pirates have been saying they will never buy a Neo Geo X because they can emulate with a PSP for less. That's just my thought on the matter.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
I'm the one that made the Tutorial thread. I was trying to be very careful about not giving out any information on where to obtain any illegal content. Sucks that the thread got deleted because many of us want to be able to play games that aren't currently even available for purchase (and may never be) on the device. I'm glad that the hacking thread is back though so that we can continue to explore the capabilities of the Neo Geo X.

daranus

Banned
In my personal opinion, I think it's silly to worry. If everyone wanted an easy way to pirate Neo Geo, it's already available! There's a decent Neo Geo emulator on every platform from your PC to your cell phone. In fact, from my experience, the pirates have been saying they will never buy a Neo Geo X because they can emulate with a PSP for less. That's just my thought on the matter.
That sums it up. Only difference is that this device gets a spot in this forum and the rest doesn't.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I recognize the issue with the hundreds that have flocked here after the engadget/hackaday exposure with less than honorable intentions. But there are a few of us that are in it for the challenge of reverse engineering this thing.

Someone with the understanding to know whats legit and whats cruft should be given the opportunity to pick through that thread and retain the valid info. Or maybe appoint a technical moderator to the subforum to police it.

And to all this high and mighty anti-rom bullshit.

http://www.neostore.com/Multigame-161-in-1-English-AES-p/21.htm

That little cart right there, being sold on this site, is packed to hilt with the EXACT SAME ROMS that people are getting excited about. The same ones you can get everywhere else on the internet for free. That, is piracy. Profiting from the intellectual property of others.

I hate to say it but that seems like a good point.

Whats up with that? So the lesson here is it's okay to sell roms but not link to them?

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Good lord, this thread is a circle jerking n00bs wet dream! Go ahead and complain about how people that have been here for years and know the rules through personal experience have gone and done you a favor by removing any legal liability so your ass (and in turn, the site/ Shawn's as well) doesn't end up as wide as the Lincoln tunnel because of the legal butthole pounding you'd receive if the thread still existed.

TL;DR Learn the rules. It was deleted for a reason.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
Good lord, this thread is a circle jerking n00bs wet dream! Go ahead and complain about how people that have been here for years and know the rules through personal experience have gone and done you a favor by removing any legal liability so your ass (and in turn, the site/ Shawn's as well) doesn't end up as wide as the Lincoln tunnel because of the legal butthole pounding you'd receive if the thread still existed.

TL;DR Learn the rules. It was deleted for a reason.

First learn the law. There is nothing illegal about modifying the hardware or software of a device for your own personal use. The DMCA even states this. Secondly from what I've read the newbs here (for the most part) have acknowledged and agreed with the forum rules AND the moderators decision. Don't misinterpret confusion for disagreement. Thirdly you are comparatively a newb yourself AND you have only been here a year and as such are in no position to speak as an authority here so stop trying to suck the collective tit of the forum vets to get your kudos.. I'm sure they find it just as disgusting as the rest of us.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
First learn the law. There is nothing illegal about modifying the hardware or software of a device for your own personal use. The DMCA even states this.

Could you point me to the clause in the DMCA that states this? I mean, given that hardware is not protected by the DMCA I find it kind of hard to believe.

Furthermore, modifying of DMCA protected software is only safe if granted by a court when specific conditions are met ("personal use" would be the worst claim to make). In Edelman Vs. N2H2, for example, the United States District Court of Massachusetts ruled that reverse engineering of DMCA protected software was NOT authorized.

You might also check Sony vs. George Hotz where Hotz was barred from modifying any Sony hardware.

I mean, yeah learn the law. This is wikipedia shit dude.

Last edited:

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
Could you point me to the clause in the DMCA that states this? I mean, given that hardware is not protected by the DMCA I find it kind of hard to believe.

Furthermore, modifying of DMCA protected software is only safe if granted by a court when specific conditions are met ("personal use" would be the worst claim to make). In Edelman Vs. N2H2, for example, the United States District Court of Massachusetts ruled that reverse engineering of DMCA protected software was NOT authorized.

You might also check Sony vs. George Hotz where Hotz was barred from modifying any Sony hardware.

I mean, yeah learn the law. This is wikipedia shit dude.

I read an article on it a while back during the Apple dispute with jailbreaking. That same case wouldn't apply here but as I recall the DMCA excludes hardware modifications. You can't be tried criminally for modding hardware or software if it is not sold. I think that was the problem here on the forums.. People trying to sell the shit. Anyway to play backups on the NGX there is no modifications at all required to the system's hardware or firmware and therefor no violation of copyright. As long as people don't do that I don't see where the problem is.. I'm not going to pretend that I am an expert in copyright law either though.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
TurboRoary13b said:
You can't be tried criminally for modding hardware or software if it is not sold.

Bullshit.

Copyright protection exists at inception. Legal recourse is available when the copyright is registered.

Patents protect hardware, and that protection is based upon the patent being granted, NOT whether the item is being sold, or even produced. I can patent an item, submitted with a prototype, and sue the shit out of anyone that makes it even though I never produce the item I hold the patent for. I can also register a criminal complaint and that part of it is enforced or dropped by the fed at their leisure. I hope you realize there are R&D companies that do nothing but register patents to be sold, all the while never manufacturing a product for sale.

You know why those Yobo's and Retron 3s and shit are sold? Because the original patents went out. They were NOT produced immediately after Nintendo took their NES off the market. It has to do with patent holdings, not whether the product is being sold.

TurboRotary13b said:
Anyway to play backups on the NGX there is no modifications at all required to the system's hardware or firmware and therefor no violation of copyright.

You're just moving the goal posts now. Copyright has nothing to do with hardware or hardware modifications. At all.
Second, yes, there is a violation of copyright when you move ROMS to play on the system. Period. Whether sold or not, whether it's easy to do, requires modification, is difficult, or doesn't require anything doesn't make a shit's worth of difference with regard to what copyright law says about protection of the media in question.

Last edited:

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
First learn the law. There is nothing illegal about modifying the hardware or software of a device for your own personal use. The DMCA even states this.

Although NTIA did not support the exemption as requested by proponents, it did support a limited exemption to allow videogame console owners to repair or replace hardware components, or to “obtain unlicensed repairs when the console is out of warranty or when the console and authorized replacement parts are no longer on the market.” As explained above, however, the Register found that the record lacked any factual basis upon which to recommend the designation of even such a limited class.

Not anymore.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
Bullshit.

Copyright protection exists at inception. Legal recourse is available when the copyright is registered.

Patents protect hardware, and that protection is based upon the patent being granted, NOT whether the item is being sold, or even produced. I can patent an item, submitted with a prototype, and sue the shit out of anyone that makes it even though I never produce the item I hold the patent for. I can also register a criminal complaint and that part of it is enforced or dropped by the fed at their leisure. I hope you realize there are R&D companies that do nothing but register patents to be sold, all the while never manufacturing a product for sale.

You know why those Yobo's and Retron 3s and shit are sold? Because the original patents went out. They were NOT produced immediately after Nintendo took their NES off the market. It has to do with patent holdings, not whether the product is being sold.

You're just moving the goal posts now. Copyright has nothing to do with hardware or hardware modifications. At all.
Second, yes, there is a violation of copyright when you move ROMS to play on the system. Period. Whether sold or not, whether it's easy to do, requires modification, is difficult, or doesn't require anything doesn't make a shit's worth of difference with regard to what copyright law says about protection of the media in question.

Blah blah blah.. Neither of us really know what we are talking about obviously. Law is so tedious and ambiguous that only a professional stands a chance... So here is what one has to say.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2009/08/modder-arrest-a-reminder-that-most-console-hacks-are-illegal/

Modifying a console for personal use to play pirated games = Illegal but only subject to CIVIL (not criminal) charges. Very unlikely.
Modifying a console for commercial sale/use = Illegal and subject to CRIMINAL charges (still only if you profited from it). Somewhat Likely

I was partially wrong. It isn't legal in all cases but it also isn't a criminal charge for personal use only.

Last edited:

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
Another interesting thing to consider.. Since Tommo apparently IS in use of copyrighted material for commercial and monetary gain AND the FBA software is open to public personal use I wonder if providing tools to change the roms (yes we know these are illegal) to the fba format to play on a device illegally using software available for public personal use is in violation of any copyright law.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Blah blah blah.. Neither of us really know what we are talking about obviously. Law is so tedious and ambiguous that only a professional stands a chance... So here is what one has to say.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2009/08/modder-arrest-a-reminder-that-most-console-hacks-are-illegal/

Modifying a console for personal use to play pirated games = Illegal but only subject to CIVIL (not criminal) charges. Very unlikely.
Modifying a console for commercial sale/use = Illegal and subject to CRIMINAL charges (still only if you profited from it). Somewhat Likely

I was partially wrong. It isn't legal in all cases but it also isn't a criminal charge for personal use only.

To the contrary, I absolutely do know what I'm talking about because I've dealt with copyright issues multiple times in the past. I've worked with film, I've published works, and I have filed copyright claims and have also defended myself against copyright claims.

I don't expect most people to know the details of copyright law, but you look pretty stupid when you try to tell others what you think you know about it, especially since you don't know the difference between a copyright and a patent.

You're not partially wrong, you're completely wrong and don't know what you're talking about, and telling other members to, "learn the law" having done a jack shit's worth of research on the subject. That's the only grievance I have against you; it's not that you don't know the difference, is that you're talking down to other members while you haven't got a clue.

Last edited:

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
Yes, I absolutely know what I'm talking about because I've dealt with copyright issues multiple times in the past. I've worked with film, I've published works, and I have filed copyright claims and have also defended myself against copyright claims.

I don't expect most people to know the details of copyright law, but you look pretty stupid when you try to tell others what you think you know about it, especially since you don't know the difference between a copyright and a patent.

You're not partially wrong, you're completely wrong and don't know what you're talking about, and telling other members to, "learn the law" having done a jack shit's worth of research on the subject.

I said I was wrong in some of what I said.. I corrected myself and supported that correction with the link above. I also admitted that I was no expert.. Something that you still seem to be pretending to be. I absolutely do know the difference between a patent and a copyright but that is irreverent in the context of the argument I was making. If you can't discern that then I have to call into question your ability to accurately decipher copyright law which is far more complex. I'm gonna go with the expert and not the guy who thinks he is.. Thanks for your opinion though. If you want to waste your time with another response then go ahead because I've said all I have to say.

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
. Thirdly you are comparatively a newb yourself AND you have only been here a year and as such are in no position to speak as an authority here so stop trying to suck the collective tit of the forum vets to get your kudos.. I'm sure they find it just as disgusting as the rest of us.

Congrats, you see my join date poking through. I've never admitted to being anything but a noob. Don't believe me? Look at my previous posts. I'll Wait.

The difference between you and me, beyond join date and post count is I know exactly where I stand here, and Didn't join because of a piece of shit nostalgia cash grab. Have fun playing with the big boys, because chances are you won't be an active member in 6 months.