The Complete Death Of Video Game Publications

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Okay so I know all this is pretty obvious to everybody but it's been bothering me lately. I know that the internet is a valuable resource and now you can get any info instantaneously about almost any subject but I really miss the days of having a tactile magazine to read. Before the internet Waiting for your copy of GameFan or Nintendo Power Or EGM to come in the mail was an awesome feeling. When you got home and it was in your mailbox it was a great feeling to crack it open and find out what's going on in the world of video games. The better publications such as Gamefan were well written, offered import gaming sales, Fan art and quirky editors to comment about everything. The last great Magazines to go were Hardcore Gamer and Retro Gamer and I miss them both. all there is nowadays is Gamepro which over the years has become lackluster. Even buying the farewell issue of Nintendo Power was bitter sweet (it was the best issue in over 10 years). I know I'm probably just waxing nostalgic but wondering if anyone else misses the glory days even with the unlimited information that can be gleaned from the internet.

Last edited:

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Retro Gamer is gone? I was hoping their editor would come back to the forum at some point

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Retro Gamer was amazing. Can't find it anywhere anymore. Not even Barnes and Nobel. From what I've heard they folded.
Retro Gamer is gone? I was hoping their editor would come back to the forum at some point

mhkohne

n00b
10 Year Member
Retro Gamer was amazing. Can't find it anywhere anymore. Not even Barnes and Nobel. From what I've heard they folded.

I'm pretty sure they are still around - I just got the latest issue in the mail a week or two back if I'm not mistaken.

They are a UK publication, and they did go through a "Death and revival" a few years back.

Their US distribution might be crap, but unless something has happened in the last few weeks, they are fine.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I can relate Guts.
The times have changed, and yes while data is easily more accessible , you also tend to have to wade through a bunch more crap to arrive at a conclusion. Everyone has an opinion, and there are those that just put things up for hits or ad revenue being their #1 motivator.

I almost exclusively rely on forums for impressions on games, but at the end of the day you need to rely on yourself to make a conclusion.

There is also just something wonderful about having a tangible magazine, and the reward for the patience on waiting for the next issue to arrive. I dread the day all games lose their physical form or option as well, call me a fossil.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
When you got home and it was in your mailbox it was a great feeling to crack it open and find out what's going on in the world of video games.
I totally get that. Used to have a subscription of a gaming magazine that was about then current gen console games back in the day... I never would've gotten past psycho mantis in MGS1 without it ^^

reading about new games every week was quite awesome, too. I felt informed about what I spent my allowance on, worked out for the best most of the time. That bit I miss most, it's gotten hard to find qualified/true opinions about games...

Don't really remember what made me cancel the subscription, but I guess it was because I decided to play drums when I was about 15 or 16 and needed the money.

Last edited:

Capt. Lurker

There's a post count?What the fuck isThat All abou
Okay so... I know I'm probably just waxing nostalgic but wondering if anyone else misses the glory days?

Like digital downloads of games, there is just something about holding the actual item in your hands. And sadly, these days are numbered. :rolleyes:

On one hand, I'm all for digital downloads, on the other hand however...

Personally, I think there should be options for those that desire digital and those that desire the physical. However I believe we geeks with our seemingly outdated desires are being ignored.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Dood - I feel you through and through - I love everything about magazines, and it's one of the reasons I switched from communications to visual communications. I have zip disks loaded with fake indesign game mag spreads - also fake best buy like ads, from when I was learning inDesign from the early 00's. I'd share them but my zip drive died years ago. :(

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I know retro gamer is still going strong in the uk. I'm a subscriber and just wouldn't be without it.

Can't you fellas across the pond get it on download?

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I remember RetroGamers being expensive as shit over here, weren't they $15-$18 USD on the racks?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Okay so I know all this is pretty obvious to everybody but it's been bothering me lately. I know that the internet is a valuable resource and now you can get any info instantaneously about almost any subject but I really miss the days of having a tactile magazine to read. Before the internet Waiting for your copy of GameFan or Nintendo Power Or EGM to come in the mail was an awesome feeling. When you got home and it was in your mailbox it was a great feeling to crack it open and find out what's going on in the world of video games. The better publications such as Gamefan were well written, offered import gaming sales, Fan art and quirky editors to comment about everything. The last great Magazines to go were Hardcore Gamer and Retro Gamer and I miss them both. all there is nowadays is Gamepro which over the years has become lackluster. Even buying the farewell issue of Nintendo Power was bitter sweet (it was the best issue in over 10 years). I know I'm probably just waxing nostalgic but wondering if anyone else misses the glory days even with the unlimited information that can be gleaned from the internet.

Kids today are way more advanced than I was. They know how to cook meth. Everything is about meth now.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
they havent folded

Retrogamers sell locally here at Barnes and Nobles, and recently i picked one up at Hastings - edition 119 with Qbert on the cover

its always been $9.99 USD here

great mag - aside from Stuart Campbell :lolz:

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
I know exactly what you are talking about Guts. Those days are sadly long gone. I know Die Hard Game Fan made a comeback a few years back but I don't even know if they continued any longer. I get RetroGamer by US sub, so yeah they are still around. Also, GamesTM but mainly for the great Retro section in there. Most of modern game news you can get anywhere now from here on the Neo forums to anywhere else. The internet and WWW killed the Game Magazine. There are some really good sites that have .pdf archives of the classic magazines if you want to d/l. The best ones that I have used are:

http://www.outofprintarchive.com
http://www.retromags.com
http://www.pdfmagazines.org under the Gaming archive

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
only time i miss them, is while shooting a duece...

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
EGM had a relaunch, but it became merely a shadow of its former self.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Most multiconsole mags here folded quite some time ago, there's about a dozen or so left today (who suck and don't matter, including Gamepro). The longest running one just turned 20 years old this year. It's similar with PC mags.

wonamik

Armored Scrum Object
Like digital downloads of games, there is just something about holding the actual item in your hands. And sadly, these days are numbered. :rolleyes:

On one hand, I'm all for digital downloads, on the other hand however...

Personally, I think there should be options for those that desire digital and those that desire the physical. However I believe we geeks with our seemingly outdated desires are being ignored.

That start to happend. Just look at new luigi u , ducktales . all downloadable games that also been released on disc. Devs know many of us are willing to pay alittle extra for a physical copy

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Glad to see that a lot of people feel the same way as I do about physical magazines and games. Maybe it's just that we all grew up with it so it's hard to let it go. But as long as there is a community like NG.com we can hope some form of physicality will live on for quite some time. I'm really glad to hear that Retro Gamer is stil alive I will have to look into getting a sub. You sure as in the hell can't find it in any store around here.

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
The thing I miss most about print publications is being able to read them on the crapper. I Will NOT take a laptop or expensive electronic into the bathroom with me.

Then again, it's easy enough to find nostalgic issues of PC gamer or Nintendo Power for that purpose.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Used to read Edge now and again, their style was refreshing and it was a bit more upmarket than the usual magazines. But then I realised I couldn't give a shit about gaming news anymore.