The Complete Death Of Video Game Publications

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
ANy idea where I could read / dowload some old EGM mags? Particularly interested in e.g. the videogames buyers guides from c.a. 1992

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
There's a preview of the 1st issue of the new Retro mag up on their website if anyone's interested:

Currently, they're asking $18 for a 6 issue digital sub, or $33 for a 6 issue print subscription.

Can't really say that the pages they have uploaded for the preview are too appealing - just some advertisments and general information about stuff that is coming out. Its the kind of stuff that is available for free online.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I think one of the major issues with these current online game publications is that a lot of the reviewers are absolute shit at video games. When I was a kid, you'd get extremely good game tips and tricks from Nintendo Power. We couldn't have gotten through some games without the help of that magazine, and forget about matching the achievements of the Nintendo game counselors and high score submissions. A site like IGN does usually have decent game guides, but they are more of the walkthrough variety, and not necessarily a reflection on the guy who reviewed the game and the score he gave it. Most of the time if a reviewer tells me a game is impossibly hard, it means I should probably buy the game. It'll probably be the perfect level of challenge.

Last edited:

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Can't really say that the pages they have uploaded for the preview are too appealing - just some advertisments and general information about stuff that is coming out. Its the kind of stuff that is available for free online.

For what it's worth, I was thinking just the opposite. The ads are (imo) being shown in the preview SPECIFICALLY. Don't just skip over them thinking 'oh, ads. yay' and move on. Take a look at what is actually being advertised.

In a print mag.

Local arcades, indie stuff, grassroots real gaming things. I would think this is what you WANT to see in a gaming mag, not the usual bs AAA title 'buy-me-nao!!!!' splash pages and insert-flavor-of-the-month gaming pc company ads. I dunno, I was actually happy to see this kind of stuff, but maybe I am just weird.

As for the rest, read the descriptions in the table of contents. While not completely focused on old-school retro stuff, they do dig into some neat features, as well as taking a close look at devs and projects that are indirectly retro-related by virtue of being either a successor (spiritual or otherwise) to an existing retro franchise, or are entirely new franchises that are carrying on the same sort of spirit as the older games. There's a lot more there than just 'some ads and release info'.

Also...issue #1. Growing pains. Direction focus.

Give the guys a chance to figure things out before relegating them to the same shitpile that IGN lives in.

Last edited:

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I've sub'd to Retro mostly because it sounded like it was going to have a few of the old EGM peeps I used to like doing articles. EGM was my favorite mag back in the day. Though I did have a Nintendo Power sub from day one as well.