ST-V Multi Game Cartridge

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
I've managed to get every game to fire up with the exception of Shienryu. Anyone have a similar issue? Anything I should look into doing?

What problem are you having? Doesn't load, black screen? Does anything come up at all?

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I believe the system's service menu needs to have the board set to vertical for that game to work. It's like how you have to set the board to 1 player sometimes.

Last edited:

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
I just get a blank screen.
I've checked that the SD card is correct.
I am using the remote PCB. I have also tried with jumpers only.
Mobo light is red.
The cart shows 2 green lights for loading, then switches to 1 green light.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot? I only have this cart :(

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Mobo light is red.

I have some normal ST-V carts you can borrow if that would help. I'm not sure off the top of my head if any of them boot on a USA bios or not (I use the modbios) but they still might help.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Mobo light is red.

Does your board pass all the self tests with no cart inserted?

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
no... always a blank screen.

I'm running a little low at 5.03, so I'm going to see if getting it up to 5.1 will solve the issue (thanks for the tip skate9923874923874928374928374928374). I'll report back later, might not have time to do it tonight.. I was hoping to play a few games between work shit.

darksoft

DO NOT ASK ROT, FOR ACCOUNT DELETION, WHEN HE'S ON
Check that power supply, must be proper 5V. Also if you see that things are messed up after many game changes, just remove the dutton battery and make a shortcut between the + and - socket. ATTENTION, DO THIS WITH THE POWER COMPLETELY SWITCHED OFF!

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Woot! My multicart has arrived just in time for some holiday Die Hard. Thanks dark/dawg!

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
Upped my PS to 5.1 and still nothing... just a black screen. If I take the multi-cart out and try it, then I still get a black screen so I'm sure it's the mobo. Just my luck, I got it from Fox like ages ago, so probably nothing I can do.

My next step is to swap out the multi-bios with something else I guess.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Upped my PS to 5.1 and still nothing... just a black screen. If I take the multi-cart out and try it, then I still get a black screen so I'm sure it's the mobo. Just my luck, I got it from Fox like ages ago, so probably nothing I can do.

My next step is to swap out the multi-bios with something else I guess.

This was my first ST-V in about 13 years. I never had any problems with my old one, but for some reason this new one seemed to be particularly sensitive. Found out that when I moved it and sat it on a shelf, one of the SH-2 pins became dislodged. Went through all the voltage tests and finally reflowed all the pins on the SH-2 CPUs. After that I have had no problems.

If you're comfortable doing that, I would try there first. Another user had the same problem and reflowing helped him as well. If you want a quick test, before you power on the system, put a little bit of pressure on one of the SH2s with your finger. If it boots, then that may be your problem. That's basically what I did to find out which SH2 was having an issue. The little bit of pressure made the lifted pin make contact with the pad and it booted right up.

Dion

This was my first ST-V in about 13 years. I never had any problems with my old one, but for some reason this new one seemed to be particularly sensitive. Found out that when I moved it and sat it on a shelf, one of the SH-2 pins became dislodged. Went through all the voltage tests and finally reflowed all the pins on the SH-2 CPUs. After that I have had no problems.

If you're comfortable doing that, I would try there first. Another user had the same problem and reflowing helped him as well. If you want a quick test, before you power on the system, put a little bit of pressure on one of the SH2s with your finger. If it boots, then that may be your problem. That's basically what I did to find out which SH2 was having an issue. The little bit of pressure made the lifted pin make contact with the pad and it booted right up.

Seems MANY people are having problems with the SH2s needing to be resoldered. Good news is once you resolder it by hand it will be much better than it was from the factory.....if you do it right.

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I ran into the same issue and just piped in on NTM's thread. After a quick reflow of the slave sh2 it works great!

Got my ST-V cart in last night and have been loving it! Thanks DS/Mitts!! I'll try and post some pics after I set it up in the cab ;)

On a side note, mine is working with a straight 5.0v under load.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
Could bad solder on SH2 cause an issue with modbios but not original? I just tried to pop in my modbios for the first time ever and got nothing but black screen, but it's working fine with my original JP bios.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Could bad solder on SH2 cause an issue with modbios but not original? I just tried to pop in my modbios for the first time ever and got nothing but black screen, but it's working fine with my original JP bios.

Does your modbios work when you have another ST-V cart plugged in? If not, maybe that bios is bad?

Last edited:

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Question! Can anyone burn me a Modbios chip for my ST-V? I have a plain old poverty bios.

Dion

Yep. I can do them as well.

If your modbios isn't working there are two possibilities:

The chip could be bad or blank (it happens, don't ask...)

The STV uses two different bios types. If your pcb has a mask rom then you need a 27c400 eprom modbios. If your pcb has a eprom bios then you have to replace it with the exact same type of eprom.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
Does your modbios work when you have another ST-V cart plugged in? If not, maybe that bios is bad?

Nope. Blank screen with multi cart, legit cart, or no car . Kinda assumed it might have just been a bad burn but figured I would ask. Thanks for the help all.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Got my ST-V multi cart last week. Really love it. Glad I was able to jump in on this release. ST-V is a system I had and sold years ago, so booting up a lot of these games was like taking a trip into the past. Die Hard Arcade is still so much fun... and Radiant Silvergun is still better on the consoles ;)

Thanks again!

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I'm having the same problem as adderall, but no luck when i put pressure on the SH2.
any ideas?