Side Scrolling Beat-em ups

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Do you mean 4 enemies, plus both player 1 and 2's sprites?

I just made this. Yes, 4 enemies and 2 player sprites. Clearly the game is slowing down to a halt though.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Here's one I'm pretty fond of that doesn't get much love: Magic Sword

Action game.

Then what would you say are the best scrolling beat-em-ups, if they're not Final Fight and Streets of Rage?

Here's the thing. Final Fight arguably is the greatest arcade beat em' up of all time. SOR2 is arguably the greatest console beat 'em up of all time.

But usually discussions of the genre end here. There is a lot of great stuff out there, and if that great stuff gets mentioned, more often than not misinformation is going to be spread, ultimately deterring people from looking into these other games.

Also this thread has been totally derailed.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
While the this thread is off-the-rails; Konami are the top tier developer when it comes to beat 'em ups, in my opinion, Vendetta being my favourite. You can kick a dog!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
While the this thread is off-the-rails; Konami are the top tier developer when it comes to beat 'em ups, in my opinion, Vendetta being my favourite. You can kick a dog!

Haha! You can elbow drop dogs too.

I think Konami is a top tier developer for the genre, but not THE top tier developer.

Also, Burning Fight has a dedicated kick button and has guns, so it should be called a Vendetta rip off if anything.

Superspecs

n00b
Best SOR is SOR 3 jap version where in a case you fight against a tough shemale. Great fun. Final Fight tough on SNES isn't bad but has no more than 3 enemiies on screen at the same time. Turtles in Time is the best beat em up on SNES imo

I have the Japanese version of SoR3 (Bare Knuckle III) and to me it just lacks something compared to SoR2 not to mention that the music ranges from passable to down right irritating in most places.

I am also pretty sure that the character Ash is supposed to be a gay man. It is slightly distasteful the way he minces about bitch slapping you and giggling like a girl, I can see why he was removed from all other versions.

Superspecs

n00b
Haha! You can elbow drop dogs too.

I think Konami is a top tier developer for the genre, but not THE top tier developer.

Also, Burning Fight has a dedicated kick button and has guns, so it should be called a Vendetta rip off if anything.

In SoR3 you can suplex a kangaroo and Captain Commando had guns..... and rocket launchers.... and mech suits!

Last edited:

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
not on the Neo•Geo but what about dungeons & dragons collection on the sega saturn?

I really like those 2 games

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I have the Japanese version of SoR3 (Bare Knuckle III) and to me it just lacks something compared to SoR2 not to mention that the music ranges from passable to down right irritating in most places.

I am also pretty sure that the character Ash is supposed to be a gay man. It is slightly distasteful the way he minces about bitch slapping you and giggling like a girl, I can see why he was removed from all other versions.
I don't have this version but I really want to buy it. Its also easier than SOR3.

Do you know if SOR3 is put on a jap machine becomes Bare Knuckle III uncut vesion?

ROBO2011

Crazed MVS Addict
I really love Robo Army and Sengoku 2. But i'm afraid nothing beats Street of Rage 2.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Sengoku 2, Mutation Nation and Robo Army all have the arcade feeling, speed and physics unlike Steets of Rage. But SOR2 has a special charm and great replayability.

DeusVult

Another Striker
Sengoku 2, Mutation Nation and Robo Army all have the arcade feeling, speed and physics unlike Steets of Rage. But SOR2 has a special charm and great replayability.

agreed, I also like burning fight it has it flaws, if your special move didn't take health it would have been better among other issues, love the boss music in it plus I always think of the movie black rain when Iam playing it...

in fact iam off to watch black rain

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I never played mutation nation past the first stage. Im going to give it a full run one of these days. Sengoku 2 IMO is the best neo beat'em up. I felt shinobi 3 had some of the same elements that sengoku 2 had but I think they were released around the same time.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I never played mutation nation past the first stage. Im going to give it a full run one of these days. Sengoku 2 IMO is the best neo beat'em up. I felt shinobi 3 had some of the same elements that sengoku 2 had but I think they were released around the same time.

Horses?

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Any fans here of Gladiator on PGM?

Superspecs

n00b
I don't have this version but I really want to buy it. Its also easier than SOR3.

Do you know if SOR3 is put on a jap machine becomes Bare Knuckle III uncut vesion?

No it doesn't work that way and besides its really not worth the money/effort to play the uncut version. There are barely any differences and those differences there are are arguably for the worse.